“Relaxing and Quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Toorongo River Sanctuary

You added Toorongo River Sanctuary to your Saves list
Toorongo River Sanctuary
4.0 of 5 Villa   |   105 Toorongo Valley Road, Noojee, Victoria 3833, Australia   |
“Relaxing and Quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Me and my partner stayed 2 nights in the romantic river chalet. Overall I was impressed with the accommodation - clean, tidy and aesthetically pleasing and location of the chalet on the river was gorgeous.

One chalet has a spa and the other has a bbq. I was glad to find we had the spa, outdoors on the balcony it was beautiful. Also a double shower in the bathroom - though the water pressure was terrible so there was no way two people could shower at once (we tried)

There was great heating, a nice lounge set and some dvds. I noted no cooling apart from a fan but the weather was cold anyway. I wish there was some books!

The place is very quiet and the town of noojee is also so bring something to keep your mind occupied. There is only so much bushwalking and fishing one can do!

I recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed 4 nights in the romantic river chalets. The self contained chalets were beautifully arranged, spacious, clean, neat & tidy. Over looking the river with a very relaxing view. The owners/hosts were very friendly and helpful, made the stay very relaxing. The chalet has an outdoor spa which was wonderful. The area was very calming, we were able to walk around the whole property. highly recommended place to go and chill out for a while. We also walked to the falls near by which was again very relaxing. Certainly would visit again. Kids might be extremely bored though.

Room Tip: romantic river chalet. if you like the constant sound of the river.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Gorgeous location and very cosy. We stayed in one of the River Chalets but unfortunately we had a very unwelcome vistor in the form of an Antechinus (which looks exactly like a mouse) both nights that we were there. It came right up to the bed! After informing the owner of the situation I was told that if I was afraid of mice then I should not come to the country side! I'm not sure many people would agree with that ....its a pity that it happened as it is a lovely place .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Somewhere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed there and loved the place, pity the spa wasn't working since we paid the extra for it. They were kind enough to offer us a free stay on another night, we organised it and confirmed it for them to cancel 2 days before hand, (apparently couldn't book in school holidays, so why did they confirm the booking???)

real pity for the stuff around since we were hoping to make it a regular occurance, however after two bookings and small issue on first stay and 2nd stay never happening doubt we will be back.

Room Tip: Go for the family chalet, but confirm spa is in working order if that is why you are paying the extr...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I stayed here with my husband and 1yr old baby for three nights over a weekend, to celebrate my husband's birthday. It was such a wonderful stay! The chalet is set up on a hill, looking over a small river valley, with beautiful gum trees and rolling hills. Although it is not a standalone chalet (there are two chalets within the one building), it is still very private and peaceful. There are lots of windows so you feel like you are almost sitting out in the trees. The outside spa bath is amazing and it feels like you're all by yourself out there. Inside, the apartment is decorated really nicely and there's a great gas log fire and good kitchen. We stayed in for quite a bit, which was actually really nice. I also sent my husband on a half day fishing trip with the recommended guide and he had a great time. Overall, it was a great experience and one that we would probably do again in a couple of years' time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

My partner and I, along with two other couples, recently had the pleasure of staying in the Redwood Family Lodge at Toorongo. After driving through beautiful scenery we arrived at the stunning property where we found a dinner hamper waiting for us in the well-stocked kitchen. This was great thinking in such a remote location.

The sanctuary was lovely and tranquil, we enjoyed watching cows amble through the pastures from the balcony, and lounging in the hot tub. The staff were friendly but left us to our own devices, which is what I'd epect from self-catered accommodation. The decor was stylish and minimalist with every comfort provided, though I have to say that the selection of DVDs was somewhat lacking.

Overall, we had a great time and have even suggested to some friends that they might want to consider it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

We stayed at the Toorongo Valley Sanctuary – http://riversanctuary.com.au - for a romantic getaway. Toorongo sanctuary is built on land on the banks of the Toorongo River, a very tranquil and picturesque location just outside Noojee in Gippsland. The friendly host has converted barns which look very rustic outside to magnificent luxury studio apartments inside. We stayed in the one furthest along from the entry and so it was very quiet and private with a deck looking out over the river and hills. The decor and furnishings are gorgeous, and there’s a big plasma and DVD player, log fire makes it cosy, and we also had a sun room area with a couch in the kitchen meals area. Our unit was very spacious, I am not sure if they are all the same size. There is also a larger residence where you can stay with 3 bedrooms and a hot tub, but it’s up on the hill so not as romantic or close to the river but still would be a beautiful place for a larger group. There were generous supplies on hand – fresh fruit, preserves, juice, bacon, eggs, bread, coffee etc. Although the weather was cool, we were still able to enjoy breakfasts in the morning sun on the huge deck. We watched the fly fishermen in the river, would be great for anyone who fly fishes themselves. Wandered around the property and took a short trip down the road to the Toorongo Falls which has a great bushwalk (take solid shoes). In Noojee we had afternoon tea at the Red Parrot Cafe which was very tasty and a great ambience. Dinner was at the Outpost Retreat restaurant at Noojee. We have been there twice and it is absolutely superb dining, the chef is ex- Di Stasios. If you want something more casual they also have a bistro for pub style meals. A perfect weekend getaway for romance and relaxation, but also a place you can go for drives and trips if you want to look around at the Trestle Bridge outside Noojee or the Ada Tree and hike on the Powelltown Road. Also it’s not far to drive over to Healesville if you are staying for a while. My preference is sitting on the deck or in front of the fire. And either on the way there or home, think about stopping at Jindivick for lunch at Jack’s restaurant, well worth it.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Toorongo River Sanctuary? Share your experiences!