“Disappointing at best” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
High Kelling
“Disappointing at best”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Sadly we chose the Kings Head for a family meal to celebrate my wife's birthday. We were very disappointed with the menu choice, mainly burgers and a few specials - my burger was tasteless and the bun chewy. The waitresses didn't seem to know much about the wines on offer and forgot one drinks order until reminded. One of our sweets was still frozen making it inedible. The indoor restaurant was not busy, although as it was such a nice day perhaps the focus was more on the outside clientele? I live locally and I will certainly not be including this venue on my shortlist of dining establishments. One plus point was my grandson did enjoy the fort in the play area.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Daniel H, Manager at The Kings Head, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Mr Ray B

I am so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at The Kings Head back in July 2013. You mentioned that you felt there wasn't a lot of choice on the menu, i find this quite hard to believe as we have 10 starters, 15 mains, 7 choices of dessert at all times this including the special boards all of which is fresh and sourced locally.

I did enquire about your dessert being frozen, my Head chef and my supervisor told me that you had the Lemon Meringue parfait, which is meant to be a frozen dessert on this occasion, but I do believe we did discount and take off the bill as a sign of goodwill because you didn't enjoy the dish.

I understand you felt that the service wasn't to your satisfaction, I am sorry about this i have had quite a lot of new staff start recently to cope with my summer trade, with this in mind i have taken more time now to train all my staff fully on the food and drink products we sell and increasing their knowledge on those products. i note that you felt the restaurant was quite on the day you arrived, i find this strange as we are consistently doing 300+ covers every day and like you have pointed out most of this was in the garden as we have been having fantastic weather recently and most of our booked tables wish to sit in our beautiful beer garden. I do make sure my team looks after all there guests especially if they have gone to the effort of booking a table.

If you would like to take your complaint further then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely

Daniel Hutchison

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Ok reasonable food but no longer great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have eaten here on a number of occasions in the last 4 years usually it is difficult to get a table and the car park is full. This pub is well presented inside ad out. This time on a Saturday evening the car park had plenty of spaces and tables were empty. Warning. The menu was limited and of the burger and steak variety priced at the high end. We were a party of four, two from London who commented on the high end prices for the dishes. The menu was unimaginative. So much so that two of our party ended up ordering burgers. One ordered macaroni cheese. The food was well cooked. But the dishes were not generous. When paying we learnt that the pub was no longer under the same ownership. There is plenty of good quality gastro pubs in this area. The King's Head is no longer one.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Two great evenings out with family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Six family members went the first time and all of us were pleased with the main courses and sweets we had.
The second time we went as a foursome again we enjoyed the food and atmosphere.
So many pubs buy in ready meals and especially ready desserts. The highlights for us all were the desserts. Lemon meringue parfait and Norfolk honey mouse especially good. Eton mess wasn't as good.
Best to make a reservation

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Daniel H, General Manager at The Kings Head, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for your excellent review on us.

We hope you can come again soon.

Kind Regards
Dan Hutchison
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Pub - awesome surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The menu is limited but you shouldn't have any difficulty in making a choice. The food is top quality and well presented.

I love steak but am usually reticent to order steak because most places don't cook it the way I want it - this place can cook steak!!!!!

The wine list is extensive and not over priced - you'll enjoy a premier bottle of wine for around £25 - i can recommend the Rioja!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Good food, good service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We, four of us, were lucky enough to rent the cottage next to The King Head and dined there four times during our stay, each time the reception from all the staff was extremely friendly and the food very good, in fact the oysters were the best we've had anywhere, as was the fish & chips and the monkfish tails. Every credit to Danny and his staff, if we are in the area again we will certainly go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food