“How staff can Kill a good restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Birmingham England
“How staff can Kill a good restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have been going to the Windmill for dinner on regular occassions. On Sunday the 17th my wife and I went along for dinner at 19.30. We waited at the bar for what seemed an eternity but actually it was 6 minutes BEFORE we could get anyones attention.
There was nobody at the bar serving. We eventually was greeted by Adam who is the manager. No appology from him. We ordered drinks, a prosecco for my wife to which he said that they had none but offered a glass of champagne for the same price. I had a doom bar beer that was flat and cloudy. we asked for a menu and was told no meals that night as the kitchen was busy ( at 19.30 !!).
I then took my beer back as it was cloudy. Adam then gave me another brew that was as bad to which i left, i could not face his mooddy look. The atmosphere was poor, no custoler empathy this guy Adam was terrible. How can it be that a great place is destroyed by such people?

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Ascot,Berkshire
“Evening visit poor - last time lunchtime was much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a meal at The Windmill on Saturday evening. Although not completely full, there was an air of panic and confusion amongst the staff. Maybe they were short staffed?
Service was OK but one felt it was by chance not design. We had to ask twice for another glass of wine. My liver was good but the pasta dish was not freshly done and rather tasteless.
In the end we went to the bar to pay as we had waited so long to attract any attention. All in all, not a relaxing or good experience. Was so much better at lunch time a few months ago.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sunningdale, United Kingdom
“Has gone way down hill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is in the same chain as the Belvedere nearby, which is pretty awful especially for service. The Windmill used to be much, much better. But our meal there this week was pretty poor. Service was sketchy, if friendly enough, but my so-called piripri chicken with asian slaw was simply half a chicken covered in tasteless orange sauce. The asian slaw was cabbage with no dressing of any kind. All of it just lumped on a plate. The waitress made the mistake of asking how the meal was, and I told her it was profoundly disappointing. She offered a free dessert, which we didn't want, so she only charged 50% for the chicken, which was something. I fear, however, it is going in the same direction as its sister restaurant...

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Fantastic as usual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Every time myself and my partner visit the Windmill we are looked after very well. the food is presented with care and attention. the duck salad has been a favourite of mine for years, recently the chef changed the salad ingredients... it took me a while to appreciate what he had done. now I love it! the ribbons of carrot and mouli really work. My partner rarely strays far from the fish and chips.. the cod is always fresh.
My only gripe is that the staff looked very rushed and tiered? don't get me wrong, they were all smiling and generally happy. I just got the impression that all

I will continue to use the windmill as its never let me or my partner down.

P.S. please don't change the duck salad again :)

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Sometimes this is better than other times. Inconsistent. Not great for a vegetarian. My niece had lamb which she loved. Other dishes were not that great.

Visited April 2012