It was a long week-end in Thailand and this place seems to be the only one still have room available on our last minute booking. They have 70+ rooms and it is NOT cheap for Thailand standard. The location is in Sai Yok which is still another 54-km from Kanchanaburi. Since the location is a bit remote, if you are independent traveler like ourself, you really need to have your own transportation to reach their pier. We had our car + driver so there was no issue. From the pier, its another 20-min boat ride to the hotel. Being the only transport to reach the hotel, I felt it's a bit outrageous to charge 900-baht if you want to go outside of their scheduled trip (which is only thrice a day). The hotel didn't charge us extra since we left as per schedule.
The hotel is for those who like a bit of adventure. The hotel website clearly mention about no electricity, so make sure you are okay with no AC or hot water. There were complaint in TA about rooms being too dark, paper thin wall, mosquito etc. Well... tough luck...if you are on the 'floating hotel' surely it can't be made of concrete steel, can it? Rooms are made from bamboo and quite airy in my opinion.
Other than floating along the river current, you can try elephant riding or rent the kayak. We didn't try both. The Mon village is a bit tired looking. We tried the massage and it's absolute rubbish. The masseuse keep talking to each other.
Foods were acceptable and you can still have cold Coke or beer throughout the night. Overall it was a one of experience you should try. We're glad we ticked this place but would not come back for the second time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- River Kwai Jungle Rafts. The original floating hotel or Floatel since 1976 in Kanchanaburi Thailand. It was recognized as UNSEEN PARADISE in Thailand and welcoming people around the world. The River Kwai Jungle Rafts is selected as one of the best for floating hotels in the world by The Telegraph UK in 2011. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your River Kwai Jungle Rafts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River Kwai Jungle Rafts Hotel Kanchanaburi
- River Kwai Jungle Rafts Kanchanaburi
- River Kwai Jungle Rafts Thailand/Kanchanaburi Province - Sai Yok