“Lovely staff, true nature experience” 5 of 5 stars

Baan Khao Sok
231 Moo 6 | T. Klongsok, Phanom 84250, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Phanom B&B and Inns
Bangkok
“Lovely staff, true nature experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My 5th trip to Khao Sok and second time at this resort.

It is exactly what you expect for a nice resort and for the price you cant really ask for much more. The service is excellent and they make you feel like part of the family.

They organised the tours for me and when one of the drivers did not turn up, they drove me to the destination themselves and organised a pick up for me. Thats what I call looking after there guests.

Rooms are nice and I do plan on going back at the end of this year and will definitely return to this resort, I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here with my two children aged 4 and 8 in January and had a lovely experience. I was desperate to stay in a tree house and having left it too late for jungle tree house which was much more expensive I trawled the internet and found this gem.
The owners were fantastic going out of the way to help me but not in a pushy way. My kids played with their kids which was an added bonus. The situation by the river is lovely but it does open up a bit so doesn't feel claustrophobic like some of the other lodges. There was a big natural swing and some hammocks to rest in. The trip to the Lake I decided against as my children were travelled out by this point which was a shame but we had a lovely walk into the jungle looking a monkeys and gekkos and a lovely natural swimming pool. We also went 'exploring' down the river on our own which was fine as long as your kids can swim a little bit.
The owners speak good English which helped massively to my onward planning as I had to get somewhere a bit more obsure next. The husband taxied me there in the end at a more reasonable rate than if I had taken a real taxi.

The treehouses probably need a bit of TLC in the bathrooms, but these people work increadibly hard an as a mother of small children I had nothing but empathy and admiration for the wife (sorry I can't remember your name) who worked from Dawn to late at night.

Situation wise it is about 10 minutes from the main drag which in my opinion is a good thing, set down a track. It is walkable from the minibus drop off if you are a rucksack kind of person not a clean shoes and wheelie suitcase one. (Take water as it's very hot). I took a taxi due to small whining children.

Town is growing quickly, there is wifi in town but it hasn't reached Baan Khao Sok yet. There is also an internet café open until 10 in the evening.

Room Tip: Treehouse definately
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney Mines, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked this hotel a while ago and had paid for it in advance however when we got there, they said we had no booking at all. After much delay and staff insisting we had made the mistake, they finally found our booking...

When we entered the room, there were bad smells coming from the bed...I don't know if the sheets were even washed..We told the staff but they said it was normal and didn't change it during our stay. At night we were bitten alive by mosquitoes as there are no nets or screens.

The staff were also just there to sell you their tours...That was exactly why we tried to get away from the touristy areas! Very unimpressed by this..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
baankhaosok, Owner at Baan Khao Sok, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Steve,

Warm greetings from the Baan Khao Sok Resort.

Thank you very much for your spending your time reviewing us on Trip Ad visor.

Please be informed that our rooms are cleaned daily by our housekeeping staff, however as you must have been informed if you REALLY STAYED with us,we ask all our guests to drop their keys at the reception before they leave their room in the morning,in order for the maids to do their job.

My husband and I check all rooms and that everyday......

We always ask our guests if they are interested to do excursions on a daily basis for organisation reasons, however we DO NOT push any guest to buy tours from us.

Understand that some excursions require a lot of preparation.

Now finally I've been through all my bookings several time and could not find any booking under the name of Mr. Steve........

We believe this review was written by our competition to put us down.

We just won the 2013 certificate of excellence from Trip Ad visor and hope that all the people who will read this answer, will understand that service is a priority to us and that we really care about our guests.

Warm regards,

Phon and Lek
Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Arrived on Saturday morning, free pick up from the busstop was a good service! After quick check in the room was shown to me and my girlfriend. Basic, clean, big bathroom with cold shower and sink. Balcony with two chairs and great views of the garden and limestone mountains! Airconditioning not needed, at night time the temperature drops down and I was cold at night with only a fan! Rooms are good for couples, backpackers, alone and I guess the bigger tree huts are for families.

Location is on walking distance from the national park. We walked up to the park and did a short hike to the first waterfall which was great, we even saw some gibbons. Ask the staff where to go, they have information about the area!

Furthermore we booked a day trip with the resort which was a lot cheaper than any other travel agent! Owners do speak english very well!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, check the website for different room types
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Coburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in one of the garden bungalows for two nights. The location is good, it's only a 15 minute walk to reach the park entrance. Shops and restaurants are nearby. The reception and restaurant is surrounded by a beautiful garden and enjoys a great river view. We saw monkeys in the morning playing on the opposite side while we were eating breakfast.
The owners are very kind people. The resort is managed by a lovely family. They are always happy to support in any issue. We booked the lake day tour after they explained carefully the schedule and finally it was an absolutely great experience! The owners even supported in organizing a special birthday surprise for my girlfriend, outstanding service!
In the evening we enjoyed delicious food and drinks while listening to the nature. It was so nice to see the family sitting nearby and playing with their baby, chatting or watching tv.
The bungalow was in good condition, very spacious and clean. We liked to hear the sounds of nature throughout the night. We almost felt like sleeping amidst the jungle. Of course, the bungalow isn't fully sealed and it's likely to spot some lizards, especially in the bathroom. Finally that's what you should expect if you want to sleep close to nature and don't want to spend too much! It was definitely a superb bargain to stay in such a nice bungalow for only 500THB! Food, drinks and activities were also very cheap compared to other resorts. We highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I had a hard time finding a place that I liked in Khao Sok. I usually look for something nice between 400-700 baht, but in Khao Sok there only seemed to be dingy low end bungalows and high end bungalows or treehouses. After looking at about 6 resorts, I finally settled on Baan Khaosok, mostly because I was sick of walking around in the heat! :)

I got the low end bungalow option and haggled a multi night rate of 400 baht. The bungalow was the standard type found in this area with thin bamboo walls and no bug screens except a mosquito net over the bed. However it did have semi hot water in the bathroom which most places don't have. Honestly, I wasn't very into the bungalow, but I mosty just slept there so it was ok. There were other accommodations on the grounds which looked much nicer (from the outside at least).

The location is a bit away from the center of "town" and down a long driveway (about a 15-20 minute walk from the "town center"). However, the location is nice in the fact that it is very quiet and natural with just jungle sounds in the night.

The staff were amazing in my experience. The woman who runs it (Pohn?) was super friendly, spoke great english, and really went out of her way to take care of me.

I booked a 1 day lake tour through them and it was GREAT. I checked around town for rate comparisons and they matched the standard rate that I had found (1500 baht). They also gave me a headlamp and dry bag (nobody else on my tour had been given either of these so I felt extra hooked up). The tour itself was amazing and I recommend it.

The restaurant is good and has fair prices (50-120 baht per dish which is pretty standard in Khao Sok).

So while I can't really recommend the accommodation itself (at least the low end bungalow that I stayed in), I do recommed everything else about this place. :)

• Stayed March 2013
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We felt very comfortable here because they are so friendly. My boyfriend ended up having to go to the Clinic because he got a lung infection in Bangkok and Lek (owner) drove us there and waited untill we were finished and did not want any money for this! Neither did the Clinic, it was all free! We couldn't believe it, we still gave a tip, but were very surprised. The food here was great and at the prices it was perfect for us because we could not go too far for food due to my boyfriend's sickness. For anyone that likes to feel homely while they travel, this is definately the place to be!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Baan Khao Sok? Share your experiences!