“Another mismanaged place” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Kranuan
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Another mismanaged place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Visited with Thai family for a swim in the pool. Ordered food, European and Thai. Food was partly okay, one Thai plate floating in oil (yak!), the other one quite delicious, foreign food was okay but nothing interesting.

Prices are very high regarding the level of service and the local price level. The location is very far from anywhere and no signs on the street pointing a visitor where to find this place. Waiters are in plentitudes but they run like headless chickens around with no efficiency.

Room prices were quted of 1600 baht a night when we were thinking of getting one for relax after swim and cool off (was 40C in the shadow). That is around 3 times the price I would be comfortable with in a similar kind of rooms in a similar kind of resort. You can get a room in Khon Kaen centre in Charoen Thani hotel or many other better quality places with a swimming pool.

The pool was salt pool (no chlorine) and our family members two got an itch afterwards, me included so maybe it wasn't up to the standard cleanliness wise? Also some of tiles in the pool were loose exhibiting sharp cutting edges which in my opinion is just plain carelesness from the management sinec many children are attending and might get injured.

Overall cleanliness was an issue to me. Bits and pieces needing repairs and it wouldn't hurt to give a water and washing liquid treatment to surfaces. I personally do not think I will return. There is a beautiful and well-managed resort with swimming pool next to Khon Kaen airport and I got a room there 900 baht.

I would give much better rating if the place would be top notch clean and well managed. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Room Tip: There is a beautiful and well-managed resort with swimming pool next to Khon Kaen airport and I got...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I was very happy with this resort and intend to use it again. The approaching street is like a ghetto, but don't let that put you off!! The room is just somewhere to sleep, but the pool area is beautiful. The food was great (but don't order the pizza!!!) The staff were friendly and willing to help. Some of the fixtures need updating, but overall this resort is very comfortable, Poolside is a great place to sit and enjoy a beer.Rooms were clean. Bed was comfortable. By Australian standards very good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I really looked forward to my second visit here having had such good thoughts previously and even wondered if the place was really as good as I had originally thought. In many ways it was even better. The staff were the same people as before (which seems to be unusual in Thailand) friendly and treated us (myself and my family who live locally) like an old friends. New poolside furniture meant that guests wanting to be by the pool could decide to sit in the shade or lounge in the sun – comfortable either way. My room this time gave me the choice of going out one door into the well-kept gardens or out the other door towards the pool. My visit coincided with Sonkran so the place was really busy but standards were still maintained. I believe that games were organised over this period for those who wanted to take part and a live band playing at night. Once again I was left with the impression that the hosts would do anything in their power to make your stay as pleasant as they possibly can.
For some reason I failed to get internet in my room. Whether this was due to my very small computer I don’t know but outside each room you have your own table and chairs and I found that if I sat just outside my door I was able to pick it up without difficulty. Being lazy I would have liked to connect whilst sitting on my bed but I could well be nit picking now!
I very often come to Thailand on my own so I feel I have the best of both worlds here, company if I wish it out at the main reception or peace and quiet in my room. I also feel very safe here and completely at ease which is a lot more than I can say for other places I have stayed at locally.

Room Tip: I prefer pool side
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed at Castle Howchow for four nights, we had two pool side rooms, they were just what we required, a lovely pool, excellent for swimming, great for children, we enjoyed exploring and taking photos in the lovely gardens, excellent breakfasts which were included in our room tarif, nice relaxing area to sit and enjoy a beer, we were made feel very welcome, thank you castle howchow, if we return to that area of Thailand a place we would stay at again

Room Tip: Choose pool side if you like a swim, other areas look great, might get mossy probs if near the lake
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ft. Collins
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

This property is beautiful, poolside/garden area etc. Hot shower, comfortable and quiet room, tv, 2 breakfasts came with our room. Food on menu was expensive though. Overall the place was way over our budget.

Room Tip: If it's during Winter stay back away from the water. Can get cold at night.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

How fantastic is that - to be able to walk out of your room and straight into the pool. Beautiful grounds if you want a stroll and so peaceful. Everywhere is spotlessly clean and even the pool is cleaned daily. Everything you can possible want or need is at hand, if it's not, then the hosts - Howard and Roong will make sure it is. This is definitely a 10 out of 10 place to stay. A huge variety of meals to choose from all cooked to perfection. Howard and Roong not only made us feel welcome but also our family who live nearby and who came to swim with us every day. You can not ask for better hosts who proved to be incredibly generous in every way. A holiday is much more than finding a good place to stay but finding a well run establishment with kind and thoughtful hosts is a major factor leading to success. I fully intend staying here when I visit in the future.

Wherever I stay I always write a truthful review but this has been the hardest to write because I can't find fault with anything!

Room Tip: All rooms that I saw were excellent
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Halstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at Castle How Chow during august 2011. We were met by hotel staff at Khon Kaen airport on a wet evening and transported back the resort. My wife and I had one room and our daughter had her own accommodation. This was spotless and to my daughter's delight had free wi-fi and satellite TV. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard every morning and the laundry service was a godsend. Food was excellent including a full english breakfast for those who need it. The beer was cold and the sun was hot. The staff could not have done enough for us including sourcing some diabetic tablets for my daughter when she lost hers! The pool was really nice. Our only small gripe was the lack of sunbeds. I am sure this will be rectified for the coming hot season. All in all a great value relaxing location which is away from the tourist bustle of bangkok. We would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Anything poolside or in the lake garden is great
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Castle Howchow Beach Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!