“Calling lovers of nature, tranquility and beautiful beaches” 4 of 5 stars

Koh Mook Charlie Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   164 Moo 2, Koh Mook, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kantang
London, United Kingdom
“Calling lovers of nature, tranquility and beautiful beaches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Koh Muk (and all the Trang Islands for that matter) is an island for anyone seeking peace, tranquility and nature.

There are only three main options* for accommodation available, the most up-market is Sivalai, which sits on a glorious penninsular of squeeky white sand on the other side of the island, followed by Pawapi resort next door to that.

Finally, on arguably the best beach in the Trang Islands, you've got Charlie's Beach Resort which dominates the Farang Beach and caters for people who like their accommodation simple but don't want to compromise on scenery.

This a place to RELAX and be a beachbum. There is no nightlife, just the stars and the sounds of nature which can be enjoyed with a drink from Charlie's bar- a very low key affair.

The beach is clean and so beautiful. The water is quite protected and flat, it's also shallow which is great for children also. You don't have to sit on the chairs which previous reviews mentioned, they don't look comfortable anyway. Just take your towel and enjoy a place on the sand. The pool is nice, but I don't see the point of it given it looks straight at the beach. But if you prefer chlorinated pools be sure to claim a chair early in the morning as they were very popular with the families.

I stayed in the basic bungalows with fan and I really loved it. There is an attached bathroom with cold shower and western toilet. As it was December and so hot, I only wanted the relief of cold showers anyway so this wasn't a problem. The mattresses in these bungalows are on the floor and covered with mosquito nets. I left the fan on low for a comfortable nights sleep. They have beachmats and special cushions so you can laze about on the balcony of your bungalow. I found this useful in the hottest hours of the day to get some shade.

I love bungalow life, but if you've never done it before, note that the walls are for privacy and are not a seal against the outside world. You are pretty much sharing the island with its natural life, so yes you may see the occasional critter. That is not to say the bungalows are not clean, they are cleaned daily. There is a big difference.

The resort is basic, but in pretty good condition. I've stayed in many basic bungalow resorts across SE Asia, and believe me, this is quite good and I enjoyed it here.

They let themselves down quite a bit on service, so don't expect service beyond the necessary.

If you will need anything, buy and bring it from the mainland. The only shops on the island are simple market stalls with basics like toilet paper and sunscreen, there is nothing else. There are no cash machines that I'm aware of either so bring enough cash.

The resort has a little internet room with computers and they do have wifi also but the signal for both is sooooo slow and unreliable, especially in rainy weather. So you may want to forget about it altogether. It took me 15 minutes just to forward an email to reception on my last day.

There is a very big breakfast buffet in the morning and in the evenings they did a big seafood BBQ on the beach. I wasn't very impressed with my lunch on the first day and the ambience in the restaurant is zero (looks like a shed to me). But thankfully there are several food options on the island.

At the left end of the beach is a fantastic, very basic but yummy, family-run restaurant built on the cliffs which has a fantastic view over the beach. It is particularly popular at sunset. I ate here most days. But if you take a motorcycle taxi you can either visit Sivalai for some posh nosh or sample some local food from the various stalls near the village areas.

Scuba divers have two options on the island, the house dive centre is Princess Divers who have just recently opened, or next door is also Chill Out divers. If you're going to learn to dive, I can recommend the location because the beach is nice and easy for a beginner and when I was there students were getting 121 instruction which is a luxury you wont get on Ko Tao.

The Emerald Cave is accessed at low tide by either kayaks (which you can hire from the resort) or by longtail but you will have to swim inside. I sadly didn't get a chance to go as I was too busy doing nothing on the beach and then came the rain, and I regret it now!

Thats about it really. There is not much to do on the island, so come and be at one with nature and nothingness.

If you want a high quality place to stay, with posh bungalows and top service then best you will get is at Sivalai or on another island altogether. The Trang Islands are not a luxury destination (thankfully).

But if the idea of simple bungalows on a secluded beach framed by limestone mountains, sunset views, time with mother nature and no real connection to the outside world sounds appealing to you, then Charlie's Beach Resort is for you.

This was the best stop on my whole three week trip through Thailand. It was perfect for me because I found Ko Lanta too overrun with tourists, too loud and I love nature above all.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Unless you are a hardcore beachbum, you might find 2 - 3 nights the max you need to spend here. I thought I'd want to spend a whole week here but I was really chilled out and looking for new islands after 3 nights.
- Don't bring big trolley suitcases unless you want to carry them. Backpacks are the order of the day here. Arrival from your boat is straight onto the beach, and you will get your feet wet as you get on/off.
- Bring a book / kindle (rather than Ipad) - on rainy days there is nothing much to do, and on sunny days Ipad is not great on the beach or in the glare.

TRANSPORTATION:
- Minivan/Longtail boat to/from Trang. Journey was about 2 hours. I booked this for 350 baht from a travel agent in Trang. The boat stops at each beach and in front of all resorts for your convenience.
- Speedboat to/from Koh Lanta takes 2 hours and stops at Ko Ngai. WARNING: If you catch it on a rainy day you are pretty much guaranteed to get wet. I thankfully had a rain jacket, but the rest of me was soaked. Not all seats are undercover and swell splashing wet all our passengers. Although they covered our baggage under a canopy, putting your luggage in a large garbage bag is recommended. I always carry one with me.
- Other boat options include a ferry (which is a slower but dry journey) and other island destinations as well. You can book everything at Charlies Beach travel desk.
- Around the island: There is a small concrete road on the island and it is pretty flat so you can either walk, hire a bicycle or catch a motorcycle taxi for approx 50 baht from one side of the island to the other. Easy.

CORRESPONDANCE: I made my booking with Thai-Tour.com which in the end was fine, but I was never able to get a response to any emails I sent directly to the resort. I suggest either calling them if necessary or book with a reputable online booking site.

OTHER QUIET ISLANDS TO GETAWAY FROM IT ALL:
-All the Trang Islands, such as Ko Ngai which has a long beach with several different bungalow options along it. No sunset views however.
- Ko Jum - accessed by the Krabi <-> Ko Lanta ferry

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We rent a fan bungalow on the beach, it was really good. Clean and the service was good, not extreme, but good enough. It was very well positioned, on a much better beach than the one on the other side of the island (which are supposed to be better, but 200 BHT just to sit on their long chair, no thanks). Staff was friendly enough, we had a bbq night, it was pretty good. Swimming pool was good. In the end, one of the best on the island.

Kayak can be rented for 150 Bht the hour, perfect way to go to the emerald cave which is not so far.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed in one of the basic bungalows which had a mosquito net and outdoor bathroom. They were quite pleasant and not too warm so we didn't feel that we really needed air conditioning. The bungalows were just down from the swimming pool and looked out across the beach so were a very good location. The resort had a few bars with some reasonable deals and breakfast was included in the price (not so good). The beach had some really good snorkelling and one could rent a kayak and get to the emerald cave pretty easily.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Porsgrunn, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Charlie Beach have a splendid coral sand beach, and the staff is doing a great job to hold the sand clean and nice. A glass of wine in the sunset on this beach is magic.
When it comes to service, they have potential to be a lot better. I asked for a scuba center nearby (on the island), and was told that it is none before their own scuba center opens next month. The next day I discovered 'Chill Out Divers' on the beach right next to Charlie.
It could be an idea to start the holiday by renting bicycles and discover what else is on the island.

As said before, the staff does a great job cleaning the beach. They also have a gardener lady who keeps the resort pretty by taking care of the flowers, and brushing and cleaning the paths for fallen leafs and littering.

Our bungalow had ocean view, and a view over to 'Chill Out Bar's volleyball. We also had a view to a trashy small river/swamp, with some occasional animal life.

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We came in low season after spending a few days on Kradan and thought it was a nice resort even though most of the facilities were closed. To be honest, we were just happy that it was open at all! The strip of beach where it's located in great for watching the sunset and after walking around the island I thought it was the probably the most beautiful as well.
We rented kayaks here and paddled out to the Emerald Cave which was amazing and not too far away. And it was great to be staying somewhere swimming pool.
I have no complaints about this place, especially since we knew ahead of time that operations would not be in full swing since it was low season.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the bungalows with AC, which was much nicer and better value for money than the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed at the Charlie Beach Resort, Koh Mook, with a friend of mine and we really enjoyed our stay there. We island hopped from Phuket to Phi Phi and then onwards to Koh Mook which we were very happy about as Koh Mook was a total opposite to Phi Phi. It was a very peaceful little island with some beautiful beaches and a great place to relax and unwind. However if you're looking for a party this would not be the right island for you because it's quite quiet. We arrived on the Charlie's side of the island and that was the main reason for choosing to stay at Charlie's. We hadn't made a booking beforehand but were able to book one of the bungalows with AC, very comfortable and clean! We did a trip to the Emerald Cave and went scuba diving. The Charlie's beach was OK but the Sivalai beach on the other side of the island is just wonderful, white powder sand! However the plus with Charlie's was a nice swimming pool. When it was time to leave we booked a private transport with the Charlie's travel desk which turned out to be worth every penny. Within just a couple of hours we had returned from Koh Mook to Krabi, first on a motor boat and the rest of the way by car. Our time was limited to get back so this way of transport was definitely the easiest and fastest.

Room Tip: Instead of the bungalows without AC I'd spend a bit more and book one with AC, preferably one of...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is probably a really nice place to stay in high season but in low season it is just a waste of time and money. I went at the end of July and booked for two nights but asked for the money back and just stayed one night in the end. EVERYTHING WAS CLOSED - the beach bar, the shop/mini-mart, the pool, everything. There is nothing close by either so having no shop to buy water or snacks all day was quite frustrating. The resort itself is pretty nice so this is not a negative review, just advice to enjoy your holiday elsewhere during low season. To say everything was closed it was pretty surprising that they were still charging 1000bt a night for beach front and 900bt for second row. Without breakfast is 200bt less so my room should have been 700 but I got it down to 550 based on staying two nights...although I ended up just staying one. Tours to the Emerald cave were pretty expensive too so I decided not to bother. I reckon it's wiser to stay on Libong and just visit the nearby islands on day trips.

Room Tip: The 'non-beach front' are actually just as 'scenic' as beach front, still have lovel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Koh Mook Charlie Beach Resort? Share your experiences!