“Hooray. Someone's listening!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 20 Restaurants in Lingfield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Description: The Wiremill is a 15th Century Mill which sits on its own lake in the Surrey countryside. Down a bumpy, winding lane the mill presents itself as you turn the final corner. Established as a British pub serving fresh, locally sourced produce from the four counties that surround it, the mill has won high acclaim as 'Pub of the Year', Accommodation pub of the Year, Food pub of the Year amongst others. With a stunning view across the lake, great ales, fab food & a bed for the night, the Wiremill is an ideal location to escape the day to day hassles of life & relax.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Hooray. Someone's listening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Having been disappointed on my last visit to this restaurant and having read recent reviews, I was a little concerned about eating here again. But I was wrong to do so! It was a beautiful evening and, although there were lots of people eating, the service was excellent - friendly and efficient. We all enjoyed our food and didn't make the mistake of taking up the offer of, for example, additional toppings on our burgers, which we had assumed were included in the price but for which you pay extra! Having learnt our lesson last time, we came out not feeling fleeced! There was a very good atmosphere and I have no reservations about returning in the near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Heathfield
“Great Eating Experience in a Lovely Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I am really surprised at the negative reviews I have just read. I had a great eating experience and will definitely be back again soon. There was a great choice of food and I loved the Tapas options - enabling everyone to choose what they liked. A sandwich was served in a wooden box lined with newspaper and then clean paper - a great talking point. The tapas was served on wooden platters - not unique but great fun and practical. Through out our stay the staff were polite, friendly and caring. We made a lunch time visit and did not have to wait long for our food.

The outside seating was amazing!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Crowborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay, lovely room, terrific food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I've been surprised by the variation in reviews I have read, so here is my 2'penneth...

First, to the 2012 reviewer - I am very well traveled both in the UK and abroad both on business and pleasure, so I fancy I do know a decent meal out when I get one...and this was VERY decent for a gastro pub.
To the 2014 reviewer, I was offered by the waitress a choice of standard menu, daily specials menu, children's menu and separate desserts menu. I was able to order directly from the table with a helpful, friendly and polite waitress - and the food was very good. I would not say that it was beyond improvement, but the menu was a very interesting twist on traditional gastro pub fayre, it was very well cooked (at last a rare steak that was delivered rare and hot - well done chef), and beautifully/thoughtfully presented as if the chef had been auditioning for a spot on MasterChef). I could recommend that the kitchen bakes and serves it own bread and rolls rather than delivering slices from a bag and the mussels could be checked for empty shells before service, but other than that not much to complain about. Wine was excellent and overall we had a great experience at a fair price.
The reception/bar staff were also very accommodating and pleasant as was our room. Needless to say the building is unique, charming and characterful with a great outlook over the lake and our room was clean and nicely decorated/appointed.
The ultimate accolade I suppose is that I would go again and I would recommend to my friends without hesitation.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Went here for a meal and a few drinks with friends. After finding a table and getting the menu ourselves we chose from a very expensive menu. They didn't have two of the things we ordered on the menu however not a problem these things happen but we also had to wait over an hour and half for it to arrive. After asking twice where our food was nobody came to tell us why it was so late. The burger was tasteless and quite literally was a burger in a bun with no garnish. The staff are unbelievably rude and don't want to help you atall. Such a shame as this place is a lovely location and has got the potential to be a nice place to eat/drink but as for now I would NOT recommend.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Bank holiday disaster.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Having eaten here in the past and booked to stay over for our forth coming wedding night we decided to come for a bank holiday meal around 5:30. Place was fairly busy so all seemed well. Got drinks for 5 of us and looked at the menu. A great choice so we ordered. Sadly as they had been busy some items were not available but not a problem we changed bits of our order. After over 2 hours wait we received 1 very sad looking burger some whitebate and some bread. None of the other starters turned up and after 15 mins 2 more very sad looking burgers turned up. Needless to say we were all very disappointed. On complaining no one even came to our table to try to sort things out. Oh and there was no cutlery or condiments offered at any point. We won't be returning here again and will not be staying over for our wedding night.