“Be prepared for the unusual decor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Guy's Thatched Hamlet

You added Guy's Thatched Hamlet to your Saves list
Guy's Thatched Hamlet
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Canalside, St. Michael's Road | Near Garstang, Bilsborrow PR3 0RS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bilsborrow
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
“Be prepared for the unusual decor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Staying here on a Saturday night as a stop over on the way south. We arrived quite late and had a bit of difficulty parking as this is clearly a very popular venue with locals.
The decor of the whole complex is heavily themed and a bit Disneyish with fake Railway station, Ice Cream Parlour, stained glass, cottage looking room blocks and "cricket pavilion" conferencing centre. We eventually figured out where the reception was. The receptionist helpfully pointed out that the restaurant, though still open, would be closing soon so we made our way through for a meal. A small plate of crudités was brought whilst we looked at the menus and our order was taken quickly. The mussels and potted shrimps starters were good. Our pasta main dishes were brought quickly after and were so hot we could not start to eat immediately. As we waited for these to cool a bit, we both became aware of a strong chemical small which we assumed was either a disinfectant or a floor cleaner. This was really off putting and I could I not eat my much of my pasta due to this smell. We pointed this out when the waiter came to collect our plates and questioned my almost intact plate of food. The waiter could not shine any light on the source of the smell but we were not charged for my lasagne.
We moved through to the bar area of Nell's Tavern. This was very busy but we were served quite quickly and found a seat. Reasonable selection of beers on tap.
We were on the first floor. The decking outside on the landing was very slippy. Our room was okay. Though the room decor is a bit tired the wooden furniture is fairly new and the bed was clean and very comfy. They could do with having a towel rail beside the rather smart wash hand basin.
We did not take breakfast but overall I felt the cost of a night there was good value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Food was really good, however I broke one of the revolving door windows by accident as I was pushing through the door it banged my heel and smashed. Apparently the glass was hardened or toughened glass but was is shards all over the floor and they accused me of kicking the window in!! When I said let's please look at CCTV they insisted I wasn't aloud to see it and yet they wouldn't review it either. Ruth the licensee was very abrupt commanding money off me and also theretand to kick us of the premises at midnight. Also she came to our room at 10 am commanding 60 pound and would not accept it was a genuine accident. And said we are barred from the premises even though we paid for the accidental damage. I wish I wouldn't of paid it now because I will never go there again the first and last time. I also heard her earlier on in the night discussing shaving her genitals with men at the bar which was very inappropriate indeed whilst there was children around.

• Stayed November 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was my first time here but other family members had been before and recommended it. The whole place is lovely to look at and was nice to see it was located right next to the canal, we came from Warrington Cheshire so to took us about 40mins and was nice and easy to find. I have good and bad to say about guy's like a lot of other people have on here. We found the food at owld Nells lovely, portion size was excellent and taste and service I'd say was above average for pub food. The highest marks I would have to give is for the service, there was plenty of staff on at all times and although the place was packed we didn't have to wait long for anything. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent, buffet style with plenty of choice and all well cooked. I thought it was excellent value for the price. Evening meal in the restaurant was top notch again but a little pricey for some meals. The downside I mentioned earlier is for the room we stayed in. No39 large enough room but tired and dated with a double bed that came out of a cupboard with a mattress that made me seasick, no support whatsoever.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and would stay again but maybe request a better room next time. If possible I would have given it a three and a half but you can't and it's not worth a four.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Troon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great find hotel right beside lovely canal thatched roofs great bars and restaurants you can feed ducks and have a plnt in lovely surroundings easy access to blackpool and preston @blackpool planning toreturn again soon cam@jan

Room Tip: King size room with spa bath great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very pleasing stay good value for money in a lovely peaceful place very clean place staff are friendly and always willing to help you we're they can rooms very nice and have a homely feel to it it's easy to find parking facilities are good food good value for money always feel safe and relaxed here

• Stayed October 2013
Chorley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night while attending a function at a nearby hotel
The rooms are tired and in need of a good clean and refurb
The paint was peeling in the bathroom which was in fact a shower room with an open shower - Resulting in a very wet floor. There had been a leak from the room above which resulted in a stain on the ceiling which was still visible.
On the plus side, we shared a bar snack in the afternoon which was very good and I've heard the restaurant is very good.
This is certainly not somewhere you'd want to stay for more than a night and I doubt we'll be staying there again

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just stayed a night at Guys on our way back from The lakes and have to say, we were extremly happy with our room. We booked a standard double room which was, clean spacious bright and had a fantastic bed (super kingsize!) also the bathroom was great with one of the best showers Ive ever had from a standard B&B! I liked the way they have the Dove Shower soap bottle attached in the shower (as we had run out) not like the normal little tiny bottles of cheap shower gel that you cant get out! We had drinks at Owd Nells Pub...the staff in here were all very nice, we then had Dinner in the famous Italian Guys Thatched Hamlet...which was wonderful! Great service and lovely authentic Italian food! It was great value for money and would recommend it!

Room Tip: Your can choose a Jacuzzi room which is all open plan and has your own Jacuzzi in your room, we chos...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Guy's Thatched Hamlet? Share your experiences!