Staying here on a Saturday night as a stop over on the way south. We arrived quite late and had a bit of difficulty parking as this is clearly a very popular venue with locals.
The decor of the whole complex is heavily themed and a bit Disneyish with fake Railway station, Ice Cream Parlour, stained glass, cottage looking room blocks and "cricket pavilion" conferencing centre. We eventually figured out where the reception was. The receptionist helpfully pointed out that the restaurant, though still open, would be closing soon so we made our way through for a meal. A small plate of crudités was brought whilst we looked at the menus and our order was taken quickly. The mussels and potted shrimps starters were good. Our pasta main dishes were brought quickly after and were so hot we could not start to eat immediately. As we waited for these to cool a bit, we both became aware of a strong chemical small which we assumed was either a disinfectant or a floor cleaner. This was really off putting and I could I not eat my much of my pasta due to this smell. We pointed this out when the waiter came to collect our plates and questioned my almost intact plate of food. The waiter could not shine any light on the source of the smell but we were not charged for my lasagne.
We moved through to the bar area of Nell's Tavern. This was very busy but we were served quite quickly and found a seat. Reasonable selection of beers on tap.
We were on the first floor. The decking outside on the landing was very slippy. Our room was okay. Though the room decor is a bit tired the wooden furniture is fairly new and the bed was clean and very comfy. They could do with having a towel rail beside the rather smart wash hand basin.
We did not take breakfast but overall I felt the cost of a night there was good value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine a canal-side hamlet of thatched roofed buildings and you're thinking Guy's Thatched Hamlet, just off the A6 at Bilsborrow near the market town of Garstang. You will find Guy's Eating Establishment and pizzeria nestling next to the atmospheric Owd Nell's Tavern, Guy's Lodge and School House Square. Guy's Restaurant & Pizzeria with its eyebrow window that is the largest in Europe always offers great hospitality with excellent local and international cuisine cooked in our kitchens and open pizzeria.Owd Nell's Tavern serves such traditional delights as home-made beef steak and kidney pudding, local game in season, chargrilled Aberdeen Angus Scottish steaks and fresh fish from Fleetwood. These are just a few meals from the extensive mouth-watering menu.Relax on our canalside patios were you can eat and drink whilst watching the canal barges and ducks, or on the tavern deck, our roof terrace drinking area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your Guy's Thatched Hamlet reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Guy`s Thatched Hamlet Hotel Bilsborrow
- Guys Thatched Hamlet Preston
- Guys Thatched Hamlet Hotel