“if i could clone this place and place it in blackpool then i would.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guy's Thatched Hamlet

You added Guy's Thatched Hamlet to your Saves list
Guy's Thatched Hamlet
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Canalside, St. Michael's Road | Near Garstang, Bilsborrow PR3 0RS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bilsborrow
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“if i could clone this place and place it in blackpool then i would.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

my friends daughter booked this place for her boyfriends birthday and then for her mothers birthday (within a few days of each other) so i booked it for my sister's birthday.
what a joy it was to stay at, we arrived early friday 27th may and was greeted with a warm welcoming smile at reception, check in was swift and painless, rooms easy to find and what a great room, clean and bright.
went to the bar and had a few drinks, before going to have a meal in the restaraunt there was only 6 of us in the group but along the way we met a man who had a small barge and became friends and he joined us at the table.
breakfast in the morning was as you would expect from this establishment, 5*.

Room Tip: book in advance and try for the friday feeling.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Isle of Man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stayed for two nights with my sports club. The staff couldn't do enough for us and Ruth is an absolute diamond!

Had a great lunch on Friday, followed by a game of cricket on the on site pitch. A few beers and a nice pizza rounded the day off. Rooms were fair sized and sleep came easy. I never noticed any noise from any other rooms (my own roomie was a little snory but thats another story altogether!). Breakfast buffet was excellent, hot and plentiful. Tea or coffee, oj, fried bread, sausage, bacon, hash browns, toms, beans, mushrooms, awesome minature black puds and toast.

Saturday was something similar but the bar was a little livlier with some rugby players attending a dinner. Loads of good natured banter with them though.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Guys and will definitely be back

• Stayed May 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My partner booked a night at Guys as a birthday suprise and OMG what a suprise it was, certaily one I will never forget. We stayed in one of "PLUSH" rooms, far from plush and certainly not worth £85 a night. When we arrived and checked in my partner asked to confirm the time of the booking for the evening meal and they had us booked in an hour earlier than my partner had asked and sighed when we wanted it changing. We went for a drink which was good and the bar staff were very helpful. We went for the meal, ordered and our started was taken to another table and then waited for around 30mins for our main course. The food wasn't good enough for what they charged, I've had better meals at half the cost. We went back to the room and then the noise began and carried on till 4:30am. We did complain to the manager at around 1:30am and asked if we could be moved to another room. The manager did speak to the couple in the next room and there was silence for all of 30 seconds. We could hear everything the couple were doing and saying and I mean EVERTHYING. If we hadn't had a drink I would of left. Breakfast, well I wish I hadn't bothered, total waste of more money. In total we spent around £200 and my advice to others would be, go spend you hard earned money else where.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I booked this hotel for a birthday suprise for my partners birthday,have been to guys many times before to eat and to stay!!! but this will be our last time to vist this place think i would have got more sleep on the fast lane of the m6 in rush hour!!! The walls are paper thin you can hear every switch been switched off,you dont have to have the volume on your tv just turn it on the same program as next door.I made a complaint at 1.30am at the noise of next door to the manger,he did come out to speak to the people next door to us but this continued until 4.30am if i had not had a drink i would have gone home.Next morning i checked out of the hotel was never asked how our stay was had to ask to make a complaint but the member staff didnt seem that bothered we emailed the next day with our over night problems but even that member staff could not cared.Guys have had our money not bothered about the level of service they offer.Think they should remember its the public who help pay there wages.

Room Tip: look for another hotel dont waste your money
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We were attending a weekend course at Myerscough and decided to stay over and this seemed a great location. As we were staying on a Friday evening we took full advantage of their 'Friday Feeling' offer which was a fab price of £80 per night, including £20 off an evening meal in the restaurant with ½ a bottle of red or white wine and full english breakfast. Having read the mixed reviews I wasn't expecting too much especially from the accommodation but how wrong were we! I arrived before my husband and was shown directions to my room by a very helpful receptionist. We were allocated room 27 which must be in a new/refurbished area of the complex as it was like new, a spotless, modern room - bathroom was spacious and absolutely spotless. We booked into the eating establishment that evening and after a quick drink at the bar our table was ready. The food was excellent, the wine was good, service was excellent - we had a great evening. Next morning we were up early and first in for breakfast, our papers which we had ordered the evening before were waiting for us when we arrived and we were quickly shown to a table. The breakfast is self service, with plenty of choice, everything was fresh and good quality. Unfortunately, we didn't get chance to fully explore all that Guys had to offer but we will definitely return for a further investigation!! We would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thornton,Cleveleys NW UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

We have eaten at Old nell's a few times and eaten at Guys once or twice in the past, but as a supprise my wife booked an overnight stay at The Thatched, and a meal.
Once we got to our room, the first thing my wife said was it looked a lot bigger on the internet page, we saw the bottle of champagne that she had pre-ordered, in a plastic bag with some ice, but mostly water, I thought it tasted disgusting, but she said it was drinkable.
The mattress was very , very hard, and it was the worst nights sleep we have had in quite a while.
The toilet didnt seem to have its own light switch, you had to turn the wet room light on, for the toilet light to come on, not very nice when your partner is trying to sleep.
The shower lead to the taps was loose so water was gushing out into the bath and onto the wall.Also the bath is very slippy.
The TV had very bad reception and made watching any tv almost impossible.
The heated towel rail turned on ,but didnt work.
We were very disappointed and went to see the manager before we left, she said we should have reported these faults the night before, but as we were only there for one night and had other things on our mind, we didnt bother.
Also sent an email from their website, but no reply.
The food was good, as usual, plenty of garlic,the dessert was not as expected, if you have eaten at Old Nells, you know you get large helpings, not so for the deserts at The Thatched, some of the waitress's didnt speak very good english,and didnt smile they said they were italian, but sounded polish ?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

The room we stayed in was plush - gorgeous sofa, comfy king-sized bed and wet room and the location has great potential with a gorgeous canal where you can walk along the path for miles and really enjoy the countryside. However, these are really the only good points.
The bad points are as follows - the other guests look like they've come straight off the set of Shameless, the food is dreadful and thank god I had ear-plugs in so I managed to get some sleep as people were shouting, laughing and running past the rooms till the early hours.
That evening, when we turned up for dinner at the 'restaurant', it was obvious that the experience was not going to be a fun one. The place looks just as rough as the 'pub' there - grubby, patterned carpets but, thankfully, the menu was not the same ie. not burger and chips. The manager there is into fast food with a capital F it seems as you're not allowed even five minutes to relax and peruse the menu. He pounced on us within a minute of us sitting down so it was obvious we were not going to enjoy a relaxed, romantic meal for two but the purpose was to feed us and get us out as quickly as possible. I picked mussels for a starter (£7.50) with swordfish as a main (£14.50). The mussels were 'nice' although the sauce they were swimming in was far too salty. Then, onto the main where I was greeted with an overcooked slab of swordfish and an assortment of school dinner veg and new potatoes. I left the potatoes and veg and ate the swordfish, which was swimming in oil but edible. I did explain that I was disappointed with the meal (and the condition of the veg) to the manager at the end of our meal and all he could do was shrug his shoulders and admit that the veg had been cooked in the daytime because they are 'very busy' and that was that.
Suffice to say, don't waste your money unless you want to mix with the likes of Frank Gallagher and eat canteen food at hugely inflated prices.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Guy's Thatched Hamlet? Share your experiences!