“Wonderful pub in a fantastic village” 4 of 5 stars

01725 517300
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Bull Inn, Wimborne St Giles, has been transformed from what was a very tired looking village pub near the Cranborne chase in to what is now a comfortable, light, yet firmly rural destination. The menu offers delicious modern British cooking at its best, prepared by our Chef, Ian Craddock. From dishes such as home cooked venison pies to salt baked Bream, there is something for everyone using local ingredients in the daily changing menu. The wine list offers an array of wines by the glass, along with a changing bin end list offering superb value Chateaux & Domaines from France. We have three real ale pumps on hand to quench the thirst, with ales from local brewers.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Wonderful pub in a fantastic village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

It's like being in a feel-good Sunday evening TV costume drama, wondering around this lovely old fashioned village, but thankfully there's no Celia Imrie or Judy Dench sporting bonnets. I know some people have knocked this place, but one can only judge on one's own experience and we found the landlord friendly and chatty and very welcoming. Not quite so with the staff, who appear to come from the Deb's page of Country Life and there's just that slight feeling that they're doing you a favour by serving you. I don't want servility, but it just didn't feel right.
Ale excellent, food pricey but top notch. Great pub in a wonderful setting. Will return.

• Visited October 2012

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Stunning gem of a restaurant. A must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family and I decided to venture out in the snow to find a place to eat that we had not been to before. I am so glad that we discovered The Bull at Wimborne St Giles. What a wonderful little English Village this pub/restaurant is located in.

We were greeted on arrival to a brilliant welcome of a roaring fire, friendly locals and a really nice menu. We ordered drinks and selected our food and sat happily waiting to be seated in the conservatory.

When we sat down to eat, we just had brilliant service. The staff at The Bull can really not do enough for you while you are there. Very friendly staff who treated my family like special guests. In fact, my wife and I both chose the Pork Belly (mine as a roast) and the staff heard my children ask us for the crackling and offered the kids their own piece even though they had beef. They later offered more yorkshires to us and as a really nice gesture, as we were ordering coffee, the children were offered a small hot chocolate each. Places that treat Children nicely are great in my book.

The food standard was amazing. All cooked to perfection and presented fantastically.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. As I was leaving, I asked the landlord about the rooms available as I think a weekend trip to the area may be forthcoming and he was kind enough to show me two of the unoccupied rooms. The rooms look amazing and I am seriously considering a weekend trip to the area and basing myself at The Bull.

The Bull is a must visit for anyone wanting a really English pub/restaurant located in a beautiful village.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Relaxing weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We've just returned from a weekend at the Bull Inn. Our room was very nice, with a very comfortable bed and a decent shower (although a little kettle and some teabags wouldn't have gone amiss, rather than the coffee machine, but that's just nitpicking!) The service from everyone at the Inn was fantastic, really helpful and always trying to find a solution, with a real can-do attitude. And the food was fantastic, with very hearty and utterly delicious meals (we originally thought we would try somewhere else on the Saturday night, but after our meal on the Friday, we couldn't see the point in not "eating in" again) Breakfasts are also excellent with sour dough bread baked freshly on the premises that morning, and really high quality ingredients. Would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to explore a very beautiful part of the country, or anyone just looking to get away from it all for a bit.

• Visited January 2013
bournemouth
“Overall, pricey and pretentious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our food was well-cooked and tasty. However, we will not return because the (pretentious) menu was overpriced and 10% was automatically added to the bill for an obligatory gratuity, chef served vegetables onto serving dishes by hand and when he came out of the kitchen to stand at the bar, looked decidedly unkempt, and waiter - or maitre d' / manager - bordering on the arrogant, (other waiters were very polite).

• Visited December 2012
Blandford
“The Bull revisited.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We used to go to The Bull fairly regularly but began to find it inconsistent. We decided to give it another go - mostly because we'd left our booking until the last minute and our other regulars were fully booked! Having not been for a while, it was a good surprise to find that there is a new Head Chef, who has devised an excellent menu. All three courses were delicious and well presented, and with an original twist. The staff are all friendly and helpful and the food and wine reasonably priced (which we are finding with many places during these current times). If, like us, you have not been to The Bull for a while, it's definitely worth a revisit. Equally, if you've not been before, it's well worth giving it a try.

• Visited December 2012