“Great Again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Naranjo B&B and Inns
Camarillo, California
“Great Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I love this very special place! I have a home in CR about 5 hours away from Vista del Valle, I could not imagine staying anywhere else to unwind after traveling to CR, before making the long drive home. The service is excellent and friendly, the cabinas are wonderful, rustic and private, the food is good, and everything is well priced. This time I stayed in the T House, very comfortable, it has a kitchen if you are staying awhile. The gardens on this property are wonderful, I cannot imagine the work needed to keep it up. The views from the restaurant are incredible, also on the deck behind the jacuzzi.
I see a review on here saying it is overpriced, nickle and dime you. I cannot imagine anyone saying that,its just a ridiculous statement! Anything comparable, lodging, food or services in my town of Nosara, would be double the price. But you always find people who have not really traveled, who complain about everything. CR is not like other Central American countries, everything here is very expensive, food, lodging, everything, even every kind of cars or appliances cost 3-4 times the amount, not like other countries around CR, which are 1/3 - 1/2 the price. If you know anything about traveling in CR, you will know that the prices at Vista del Valle are very fair.
I recommend this property highly! I look forward to my next stay with them!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

OK, read the reviews prior to going and we were really looking forward to staying here, considering the great views that were advertised.
We stayed in the Ilan Ilan, pretty basic I thought when we checked in but it was kind of late and a long day of travel. The next day, same immpression. Outdoor shower that wasn't too bad, Mossy net over the bed. Careful getting in and out of bed as the bed sink down resulting in bangging you knees on the bedframe.
So far I thought, "well, live and learn, it wasn't too bad but have some coffee and move on."
When Ichecked out they charged me for using the water bottles in the room, 2$ each, really! What really ticked me off about it was they were not sealed bottles. I am sure filled from the tap. They charge 150$+ per room and they're going to charge 2$ for a bottle of water? They give you coffee and a pot in your room so I guess it's tap water or pay for the bottles of water.
The view wasn't what was in the the web sites but the view stil wasn't bad. Breakfast was basic and they brought you the meal so no choice.
Be a long time before I even think about going back, like never.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Johanna B, Owner at Vista del Valle, Plantation Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your feed back. I'm truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations.
The rooms we offer are varied and not everyone enjoys every room type here at Vista Del Valle. Some of our guests love the room that you were in. Had we known that you weren't happy, we would have been happy to offer you another room.
If the view wasn't as you expected, we could have moved you to a different room however your room was on the edge of a 500 foot cliff so we couldn't have done much with that view.
Some of your comments just are not true. Some guests prefer a soft mattress, while others prefer a hard mattress. I'm sorry we didn't know your preference at the time.
We have no need to "nickle and dime" our guests. That's not our style, I'm sorry that you got that impression.
We don't refill water bottles though, and these bottled water bottles are delivered by a company that provides for all the hotels at a price that they suggest for resale. If there was any doubt, it would have been better to mention it to us at the time so that we could have checked into it if there was any anomalies in the seals. We also can say that the Tap Water in our area has the Blue Flag rating and we have been told that our area has one of the best water qualities in the country.
Our Restaurant has menus for all the meals and our breakfast menu is quite extensive. I'm sure, that given a chance, we would have been happy to give you more than a "Basic" meal especially since we get so many good reviews on our food. Obviously, you weren't given a menu or you'd have known that there were many options. Perhaps our server was new and some how "dropped the ball".
I do hope that your time in Costa Rica was good overall and that you do return to the country in the future.
Best regards,
Johanna Bresnan
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was me and my husband's second time staying at Vista del Valle. We were there 3 years ago for a couple nights at the beginning and end of our honeymoon. We had been talking about returning for some time because we enjoyed the property so much. On this trip we stayed 5 nights. I dont think I could stay more than maybe 6 nights in row without a car. We opted not to rent a car this trip as we had only a couple of activities planned.
They had a driver pick us up at the airport. He was on time and very friendly. We were not sure what to expect in the rainy season (Oct), but it was not that bad. It rained every afternoon. Sometimes until evening, sometimes for just a few hours, but that was when we just sat on the deck and enjoyed the views and read some books. We were also able to hike down to the bottom of the waterfall again. It was definitely more slick than in the dry season, but still doable. Definitely not for the faint of heart or the out of shape!
We stayed in the Monalisa bungalow this time. I would say it is one of the more rustic and older bungalows they have (we have stayed in two others). But I really wanted the view, which was amazing. The shower is outside (no inside option) and it was either super hot or cold...so you had to do a little dance to get your shower. We found it to be part of the adventure. I have to say its pretty cool to shower out in the rain with that view of the valley! Wow!
The bed was a bit firm for our taste and the sitting bench was not super comfortable either. Because of this, we spent most of our time on the covered pool deck, at the restaurant or on our front porch. This was fine since it was cool, but quite comfortable outdoors!
At this time of year there was only 1-2 other couples staying there. It was a nice balance of peace and quiet with just enough social time. We all usually chatted at dinner or after and had some drinks. The kitchen and wait staff were super professional and very nice and the food was very good. It doesnt take long to get through the whole menu though and we were ready for a change by the 5th day.
Ive read some of the other reviews and I can understand some of the negative feedback. This is NOT an all inclusive style resort. You are literally IN the jungle and you have to expect some bugs (for sure) and a bit of rustic charm. Some bungalows are newer, so you should ask for a newer one if you want something on the 'cleaner' side. We did not have an issue with a dirty or smelly room and have never had that experience there. They swept our floors every day and made up the bed and gave us new towels. This is a super beautiful property only 20 mins from the San Jose airport. It does not get much better than this for convenience and if you like the setting, try to stay 2-3 nights and get yourself on "tico time" before heading out to Arenal or one of the coasts.

Room Tip: You are literally IN the jungle and you have to expect some bugs (for sure) and a bit of rustic char...
Morrisville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I recently came here for the first part of our honeymoon.We had a Groupon, and we're so happy we used it...it was worth every penny! It was very easy to find, right off the highway and about a half hour from the airport, but once you get onto the property, you'd never know you were so close to the city. Everyone was very friendly...the staff and the other guests!

We stayed in the T House, and loved it! Spacious, with a queen bed, a dining table, a futon, and a kitchenette. It was surrounded by bamboo and completely shaded all day, so it stayed cool. We loved the screen windows around the top of the cottage...the birds start singing very early, but we didn't mind the wake up call...it's very cool! We made coffee and sat on the porch every morning to listen to the sounds.

The restaurant was very good...the breakfast was delicious, get the desayuno tipico or the huevos rancheros! Mojitos were great too!

Definitely visit the waterfall, but the trail is steep...there are stairs and ladders to get down the trail...and it can be slippery if it's rained recently (which it had when we went...). It is worth the walk though! There is a lot of trash, but I'm happy to read, in another review, that others we met while we were there started to clean it up! :)

The horseback ride was beautiful...went through coffee plantations and saw great views. We also got massages arranged for us in our room by a husband and wife team, which was nice after the walk down to the waterfall!

Vista del Valle was beautiful and we'd love to go back! It's especially great for the first part or the last part of your Costa Rica vacation, as the convenience to the airport makes a day of travel not so bad!

Room Tip: T House is completely in the shade so it stays cool.
Fort Bridger, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Mona Lisa during our visit. The room has a thatched roof and an outdoor shower, it is so remote and has great views of the valley. It was pretty cool to take a shower on the private balcony/deck with a squirrel cuckoo sitting on a branch 5 feet away.
The resturant was very good, the grounds were stunning. The room had a small fridge, mini bar, and a ton of romance. No AC but none was needed with the remote controlled ceiling fan.
We will definately return here next time we are in the San Jose area!

Room Tip: Call the B&B and let them tell you what is best for you. There are about 10-12 different bungalo...
Ventura, Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My best friend and I celebrated our 29 year friend anniversary here and we could not have asked for more! We stayed in the Mango Manor, spacious and luxurious. We fine dined every night in the restaurant, we made new friends, hiked, rode the horses and relaxed by the pool. the grounds are beautiful and well maintained. the owners are friendly and inspiring. the wrap around porch and hammocks were just what we wanted. We got a great deal through groupon. If you want to splurge for a special occasion this is the place to go. If you hike down to the water fall where good shoes and prepare to go down and up metal ladders. bring a trash bag and help continue the clean up that we started, and please leave no trace of further litter. Do your self a favor and have dessert, tres leche cake and coconut flan.

Room Tip: Each little cabin is set a part from the others, giving maximum privacy and jungle immersion.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We arrived at Vista del Valle at midnight in the rain with a rental car which was a bit of a stressful experience - rental car that is! It was easy to find even just 25 mins from the airport and off the main highway #1. The awesome gate staff waited for us and showed us directly to our room - which was very helpful in the dark and rain!
The spacious rooms are spread out over the property overlooking the jungle valley. Sleeping to the sound of the jungle each night is magical.
The property is beautiful, views from the pool and dining area are stunning. The staff is very friendly, the horse trekking is fun, the owners are passionate about CR.
We would highly recommend staying here for a few days at the start of your CR trip or towards the end.
I consider myself very well travelled, especially in developing countries. Once in a while I come across a special place - Vista del Valle is definitely on the list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vista del Valle, Plantation Inn? Share your experiences!