“Fantastic meal!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Fantastic meal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Had a fantastic meal this evening! Staff were very welcoming and friendly. Meal was homemade and delicious! Couldn't fault anything! Would highly recommend

Lanark, United Kingdom
“Much better than it was”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Oak for lunch with my Grandad who lives in the village. It was very quiet for a Saturday lunch time (we were the only customers) and I wonder if people have been put off by some of the reviews on here. We had a lovely lunch (especially recommend the beef curry which was the special of the day and fantastic value at only £5). Staff were friendly and efficient. My only criticism was the music which was quite loud, but the staff were happy to turn it off at Grandad's request.

Visited July 2014
Diss, United Kingdom
“Better than the previous reviews suggest!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We are staying at a nearby B&B and were told that the food here is "okay but the ambience is nil". We have now corrected our land lady's misconception! In fact we've enjoyed our food, the friendliness of the staff and the locals. The food is mostly cooked fresh, although I think the pies are bought in. The pies are delicious - I especially enjoyed the pork, cider and sage pie, complete with the pie's own gravy! When I say we enjoyed it, we went back three nights in a row...it's just a shame that we are off home tomorrow!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch just like a mama used to make.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Well i'm going to start by commenting on the awful reviews on here,and i find it very strange that there are a series of one dot comments/ratings.seems a bit suspicious to me.In fact think should be maybe looked into by T A.Me and my family's experience is totally different,i started using this lovely pub about four weeks ago,after moving in to the area.Firstly as a watering place after a days graft,the ales are exceptional,and the landlady is accommodating,pleasant and always happy every time i've been there.We tried to book last week for sunday lunch,but it was fully booked.So this tells me something must be good about the food there.So we managed to get there this Sunday gone,what can i say.Delicious,well presented with vegetables you can eat,instead of the rock hard veg you get in some places.There is a range of size portions from large to medium to,childs portion.which they kindly let my mother have,as she is a very small eater.I did not have the desert i was full,but my partner and mum did,and they enjoyed them to.Ok ive not had anything else off the menu,but to say its an unwelcoming pub,is way off kilter.Ive written quite a few reviews,sometimes good about places and then if its not upto scratch later i will comment again.So far here at The Royal oak,everything has been top dollar.well done keep up the good work,and pay a visit folks.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Awful, small and unwelcoming”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Popped in for a drink to try a different local pub, was small, cramped and the bar-staff were terrible. Seemed as so we disturbed them and they didn't really want you there unless you were a regular.

Never again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Caroline1931, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Hello Ryan!!

I am very sorry that you as a man aged between 13 and 17 felt this!!

Can you describe for me the bar staff you are referring to??

I would love you to come in and discuss your comments as all genuine feedback is welcome.

Yes the bar is small. It is an old half timbered pub built a few hundred years ago!!! what exactly do you expect. If you want a spacious pub don't visit a small village country pub.

I completely dispute your allegation that the locals take priority over visitors. We have had many visitors that would disagree with your comments. I feel you have a ulterior motive for this review and I hope that anyone reading this will be able to see through it.

If it is genuine then come and see me I'll be happy to hear the exact reasons for your comments.