“The best hotel service and people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Las Palmas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Las Palmas to your Saves list
Hotel Las Palmas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 5 Playa Blanca, Playa Blanca, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Playa Blanca
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
“The best hotel service and people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I highly recommend las palmas it's a beautiful place the rooms and facilities are out of this world!!!!!! It's elegant comfy and have the best people the service is great I loved the people they make u feel at home , the food is delicious everything I asked for was great!!!! If you're ever in zihua there is no other place than Las palmas the absolute best!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous and super comfyyyyyyy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JMM15, Owner at Hotel Las Palmas, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to your next trip.

244 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Dewitt, NY, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Hotel Las Palmas is heaven. The architecture, the service, the food, the isolation, and the crashing Pacific Ocean make this a place for utter indulgence and intimate contact with the cosmos. Because TripAdvisor is insisting that I write more, I will say that I am concerned that new construction and more possible visitors may be a loss when considering what the hotel was when it was only 6 rooms. But I surely hope to go there again and to find that it still feeds my heart.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
JMM15, Owner at Hotel Las Palmas, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Judy, thank you for taking the time to write the review. I'm glad you enjoy visiting our little piece of paradise. As we grow we are extremely concerned with keeping the same look and feel you have loved. We look forward to your next trip.
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We just returned from 3 nights at Las Palmas. After reading the glorious 5 star reviews from past guests we were very excited to visit. I wish I could concur on the accolades but am unable to. To compare our visit to past reviews is like comparing apples to oranges. What once was a charming authentic boutique hotel is currently reduced to 4 beachfront units surrounded by Americanized condominiums with more on their way. The property is in the midst of serious construction and metamorphosis and will likely never be what it once was – perhaps the new goal of ownership. The positives: the grounds are beautiful and well manicured; the setting is awesome with a great and nearly secluded 9-mile beach. Being close to the airport is a plus and the kitchen crew does a great job (except for the horrible coffee they offer). The staff is superb. The hard working, and charismatic trio of Sergio, Omar and Edgar support the young and inexperienced management team. Fortunately for Las Palmas, these three give it the humor; local flavor and vibe that make it feel authentic. Sadly desiring additional tourist dollars beyond the swell of condos, the hotel allows visitors from other hotels to eat and swim in the pool(s) losing its feel of exclusiveness and self proclaimed serenity associated with being a luxury boutique hotel. Sorry, but this is what the guests are paying big bucks for – and this is definitely not cool! We stayed in one of the beachfront suites (you have no other choice as of this writing) and offer the following suggestions: The room is spare and could use better bedside night lighting. The large walls are begging for art. There is not a single comfortable place to sit in the room as two small guest chairs are dwarfed in the room. Most importantly, the bed is like sleeping on concrete and the sheets are like sandpaper. A “luxury hotel” needs quality linens and a comfortable bed, period! The outdoor patio has so much wasted potential that will likely be unrealized. With its ocean front setting, it could be awesome with additional hardscape, planting and comfortable lounge furniture instead of being dominated by sand that one can’t help drag inside the room. Sadly all signs point to a very different future for Las Palmas. I wish them great success and am happy I got a chance to get a small taste of what once was and could have been had they not been embarking on a different direction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JMM15, Owner at Hotel Las Palmas, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our grounds, our staff, our food and our beautiful beach. We work very hard to provide a warm and friendly atmosphere. While I never like to hear negative comments I appreciate your honest feedback and we will work hard to improve the suggestions you made.

To clear up a couple of points you mentioned. We are in construction right now and we will be done in December 2013. I'm glad the noise wasn't a distraction worth mentioning in your review. In December we will have a total of 24 suites that are designed by Enrique Zozaya. For the past 28 years Enrique has been the premier architect of Zihuatanejo and has been given the recognition of defining the architectural style of Zihuatanejo. It's our goal to keep a local design along with warm and friendly service as we grow.
Shelter Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our stay at Las Palmas in Feb. 2013 was wonderful . I was celebrating my 70th birthday and
Unfortunately broke my ankle one week before we arrived. The staff was very attentive to all
my requests.

Our room was gorgeous and the food was marvelous. The best frittata ever and don't miss thier
chile rellanos
We are from NYC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JMM15, Owner at Hotel Las Palmas, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and especially our frittata. I couldn't agree more. We look forward to having you back soon.
Corte Madera, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

When you view a resorts web page, the professional photographs depict the property in a way that is often a little too flattering. As beautiful as the photos are of the Hotel Las Palmas, they do not do it justice.

Las Palmas is way prettier than the website suggests. Partly, because photos cannot describe the graciousness of the host and his staff. Attitude and sincerity just do not come across in a picture. There is a genuineness about the staff that is immediately apparent from check in until the moment you leave.

Check in:
It’s a short ride from the airport along a paved road that for the last mile or two turns to hard pack dirt. The hotel is indeed on a practically deserted and spectacular 9 mile beach. Turning into the short drive way reminded me of entering the front gates of Jurassic park--no horrible creatures here. My wife and I never saw a bug, only small lizards skirting about in the sand occasionally. It’s just that the bamboo gate separates a near perfect reality from the outside world.

You are greeted by some of the staff; Omar, Edgar, Sergio, Liz and Jesus. They usher you onto the small grounds of the hotel and to your rooms. No stamping of credit cards, filling out stuff. You walk past a small bar and dining area, past two freeform infinity style pools, beautifully landscaped gardens and grass, an outdoor bar and dining area with the beach focusing your attention. Everything is well appointed, classy and made by local artisans.

The Room:
We had 4 rooms for the 3 other couples who joined us for the 5 nights and 6 days of our stay. We were the only guests at the hotel, which also includes condos. Our expectations were overwhelmed. The rooms were beautifully appointed and spacious--a contemporary Mexican motif--with attention to the smallest detail. The very comfortable king bed was aligned perfectly so that you could look directly out through the sliding glass panels to your private beach area and on to the waves of the Pacific ocean. It was like a picture with the palm trees and amenities of the property framing it all.

There are also lovely wooden shuttered panels that you slide in front of the glass, not so much for privacy--Las Palmas is so secluded that there is always ample privacy--but to filter the light and heat coming into the room. Our center room was on the first floor but still had a very high vaulted ceiling with a fan and a very adequate and quiet air conditioner--a little remote control unit near the bed to change temperature and fan speed. Instead of a door separating the vanity and bath area, they used curtains, tied back to the sides of arched entrance area. It was a lovely effect, that softened and opened up the room. There were custom closets and shelves to unpack your things, a vanity and sink made of small loose stones and clever sliding drawers to store your toilet articles in and hang towels from, and a small WC with a door. Most amazing was another sliding glass panel that opened onto your outside shower. Yes, outside. There was a curved 5 foot wall around the shower for privacy and a small gate that opened directly onto your private Jacuzzi, which was outside on your own private patio beach area. It was great, freeing and another example of the well though out environment at Las Palmas.

Near the bed there is a small door, with a shelf on the outside, aptly named “The Coffee Door.” Each morning at a time you decide, a coffee pot, cups, cream and sugar magically appear on the shelf. You merely open the little door and have coffee in your bed or out on your private patio/beach. There is a small and adequate sized but quite cold refrigerator and bar area out there too. A couple of lounge chairs, a table, a gorgeous hammock, chairs and a hand crafted wooden towel rack with your beach towels on it. You are separated from the rooms on either side by a wall, plants and shrubs. There is a huge rock retaining wall and more greenery separating the public beach from your own private beach.

When we wanted to socialize with our friends, the beach area had more lounge chairs for two, a king bed, which “floated” from the palm trees, single chairs, tables, a beautiful bar, sand that was sifted every day, palm trees for shade, and easy access restrooms. Once again, everything impeccably clean and fresh. Two large bottled waters were left in your room every day, compliments of the hotel, that you could bring to the beach. You could sit and relax in the beach area and be waited on or not. Your choice. No one intrudes on your privacy unless you want.
There were books left in each room and by the bar. This is the time to read, lying in the hammock, with the sound of the ocean waves and a light balmy breeze. It was never too hot with the breeze. And, much to my wife’s happiness, no mosquitoes.

The room is beautifully and simply appointed with hand made furniture, lighting to accentuate the room and alcoves in the walls for decorations. There is a dock and sound system for your iPod/iPhone and the electricity is reliable and the same system used in the states and Canada. No TVs or distractions. Wifi is spotty and slow in the rooms but is more reliable and faster on the beach and in the dining area and bar. It is not fast enough to stream movies or big files. You will just have to content yourself with the charm and beauty of Las Palmas.

The essence:
There are no bills, no tipping; its as if you were guests at someone’s club or home. Of course you have to settle up when you leave but there are no monetary distractions during your stay. They scrupulously track all of your charges so that when you check out that is the only time you need or think of money. Prices are reasonable, and even cheap considering the luxury of your surroundings. Since no gratuities are offered during the stay, you pay for them when you leave, into a pool that is shared by all the staff. It’s a bit unusual but it seems both fair and appropriate.

The staff, Jason the owner along with his partner are the epitome of the seemingly opposites; Mexican laid back and absolute dedication to service. We wanted for nothing. Their laid back attitude helps you to relax but at the same time they each pamper the guests. On our first night dining at the hotel, the server suggested something to drink, “Cocktails, wine, Champagne?” When I opted for the Champagne, he apologized and admitted they had none but would gladly get whatever we wanted for the next day. It was late in the evening or I am sure he would have gone into town that night to indulge us. Our friends made several requests and almost immediately the staff procured what they didn’t have from town, even doing shopping for gifts and other items.

In the past, I always felt that they should post a sign at the Mexican border that simply says, ‘No Substitutions’. It is always hard to get other than what ever is exactly stated. Not so at Las Palmas. We ate what we wanted, when we wanted and changed things around to suit ourselves. It was not just in the food service either; whatever request we had was met with a cordial response and it just happened. Jason’s staff were far more than accommodating. They anticipated our needs. All the staff knew that we wanted our coffee delivered through the little door in the morning with milk and no sugar. When we dined they knew that we were the couple that didn’t want sugar. It’s a small thing but one of those intimate details that separates a good experience from a great one. Intimate detail is what Las Palmas is all about.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JMM15, Owner at Hotel Las Palmas, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. It was wonderful getting to meet everyone and we'll see you at the Oscar's next year.
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I did not stay here but had meals and drinks at Hotel Las Palmas. The staff is just superb; each staff member is always available to be of help while managing to be unobtrusive. The manager is a saint. I did not have wi-fi at the accommodations where I was staying nearby but he allowed me to 'hang out' at the hotel. I felt so grateful for his generosity that I ordered 2 meals and 3 drinks! Mind you, there was no pressure to do so but because of the welcoming attitude given to someone who wasn't even staying at the hotel, I wanted to do so. For lunch, the steak tacos and chicken quesadilla dishes were first-rate. These are simple dishes but somehow, they were culinary sensations! Even if I ordered 'virgin' drinks like the margarita and the pina colada, I greatly enjoyed these non-alcoholic concoctions. I had dinner here one night and the meal was wonderful; we were a group of nine and we somehow got lost in the dark. Even if we arrived very late, we were welcomed graciously. The citrus mahi-mahi was terrific although I must say, the dinner cost was rather astronomical. It was a special meal; however, in a splendid setting. I won't forget the rocking 'bed' right on the beach, the fire pit, and the glorious sunset. Wish I had the funds to stay here ....maybe someday....(by the way, the manager takes good care of his dogs; one of them is disabled, but is clearly well-loved...another proof of the caring attitude at this facility)...

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JMM15, Owner at Hotel Las Palmas, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. It always great getting to meet visitors and hopefully you can stay with us in the near future.
Palos Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I had the most wonderful vacation at Hotel Las Palmas. If you need a place to go and unwind, recharge your batteries this is your spot. We stayed in the "penthouse" (second floor) which was absolutely spectacular, and so far exceeded our expectations. The living room/dining room area, was all open air with a hammock, chaise lounges for sunning, fridge, couch chairs, and a refreshing small pool. You would not even need to leave the suite actually. The bedroom was lovely, and had a private, but outdoor shower. The rooms and entire hotel is done is a beautiful, simple authentic Mexican style.

The rooms can only be upstaged by the staff at the hotel. Jason and Rosenda are wonderful hosts. Omar, second in command and all of the servers were so attentive and charming. I actually "teared up" when saying goodbye to Eduardo who was our delightful waiter that took care of us for breakfast every day.

I will go back to Las Palmas and will gladly recommend it to others as a very special retreat,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JMM15, Owner at Hotel Las Palmas, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you Kathy. I still want to help you move down to Zih. The wine tasting with you was amazing and we keep talking about it. Next time you need to escape the cold please come back.

Been to Hotel Las Palmas? Share your experiences!