“Great ambiance” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Holt, Norfolk
“Great ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

What a surprise - it must be more than 10 years ago that we last stopped here for lunch. Since then loads of sympathetic improvements to the property whilst still retaining the original style . The Dickens Bar is superb. Great Bar menu and super food. Very polite and friendly staff and good service. Restaurant looks stylish and classic. We took a Spa tour out of interest and that was a revelation. Great thought and knowledge gone into the design. The staff appeared knowledgeable and helpful. As a result of our visit we are going to arrange a stay at the hotel with a Spa package in the very near future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel is very easy to find, being straight off the A66 and upon arrival the staff were of the highest quality, the receptionist took us to our room to check that all was ok which is always a nice touch. We found the staff excellent the whole time we were there.

Despite being there in a Saturday night there was no wedding on so the bar was quiet. Food in the bar was pub food but good.

The negatives? The bathroom in the room had no lock on the door and had to be wedged closed to stop it swinging open and there was very little water pressure in the shower. I found the pillows exceptionally uncomfortable and despite being a heavy sleeper I had a poor night's sleep.

Breakfast was far better than the rip-off buffets of chain hotels with an a-la-carte menu featuring kippers as well as full English and a heavy emphasis on local produce (which is all explained to you on the menu). The black pudding was perfect and the only thing that let the breakfast down was the from-concentrate orange juice (all that effort but no freshly squeezed juice!). Most 4 star hotels could learn a lot from the Morritt's breakfast offering.

Room Tip: There didn't appear to be a lift - check if you have access issues or heavy luggage.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband & I stayed here on Saturday on a "love food package" which included accommodation, full breakfast, cream tea, complimentary chocolates & 3 course evening meal. We booked a gold room & we were allocated a cottage on arrival however this room did not have a bath as requested at time of booking. As the receptionist showed us to our room I was able to explain the misunderstanding & we were subsequently allocated another room with complimentary upgrade to a premium room. The room was very nice however I feel they had incorporated far too many pieces of furniture into almost every free space available. The bathroom was not what I expected especially of a premium room & would benefit from high quality upgrade. It was a very good size but could have been a lot more luxurious. We stayed in room 8 and you could here people passing in the corridors & you could here people moving around in the room above so it wasn't as quiet as some would maybe like. It was a lovely sunny afternoon on the Saturday so we sat in the grounds & had our cream tea which was very pleasant & there was a wedding in the ballroom so there was children playing outside too. On the evening we had pre-dinner drinks in the bar & were given the menu's to peruse for dinner. Like the previous review has already stated the menu was very intimidating and confusing but the waiter was exceptionally good in explaining the dishes. It was a very good fine dining experience but I doubt many children would eat any of the dishes from the menu but as we did not have our daughter with us I do not know if a separate children's menu was available I would definitely check before booking a table at the restaurant. I think there may have been a bar menu as we saw food being taken there but again I'd check before booking a room. As we live quite local to the hotel anyway we would definitely return for a meal in the restaurant however this will be for a special treat & for a new menu which I'm hoping will change on a frequent basis. We never got chance to use the spa but had a look around before leaving & I have to say I was so disappointed that we hadn't made time to use it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SadieBriggs, Front Office Manager at The Morritt Country House Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear MrsChezzaB,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Morritt Hotel.

We apologise for the misunderstanding with your room request as you checked into the hotel, it is possible that our staff thought you would benefit from one of our outside cottage rooms considering we had a rather large wedding on the night of your stay, however we are pleased our staff managed to rectify this for you immediately.
As we were almost fully booked that evening with wedding guests, this may also be the reason for the various noises you heard throughout the night. Again, we apologise for this and hope it did not ruin your weekend with us.

I'm glad to hear the sun came out for you, giving you chance to enjoy our beautiful surroundings. We also greatly appreciate your comments about the food and service at The Morritt, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our Head Chef and his team.
In response to your other queries, our restaurant menu does tend to change every 4-6 weeks and a childrens menu is available at request. We also have a less "intimidating" bar menu that can be enjoyed in our Dicken's Bar and Bistro from 12.00pm - 9.00pm every day.

Thank you very much for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back to our establishment in the near future when you can take full advantage of our brand new spa facilities.

Kindest regards,
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived early on Friday night for a wedding in the hotel on Saturday. Its a long way from where we live but is well positioned if you are close to Scotch Corner!

Its probably famous for its painted bar which is spectacular and fun and had 2 real ales on draught, Landlord and Morritt. Both good.

We ate with the 2 kids in the main restaurant on Friday. It was the first night of their new menu, but the staff were very helpful and seemed to know what was going on. A word on the menu; I think this was possibly the most intimidating and odd menu that I have come across. It appeared to list ingredients but with no description. Don't be put off though as, when everyone had calmed down and the excellent waiter had explained things, the food was of very high quality. The kids had steak which was good but the Limousin dish of 2 meats was exceptional and I speak as a man who loves his meat. Puddings were apparently good as well. It wasn't busy but the waiter who patiently explained the menu ( crispy chicken skin on hake?) seemed to have at least tasted all the meals and could recommend courses.

Stayed in a family room which was cosy to say the least. One double and one single with a pullout which took up all the available floor space, but which was clean and well appointed. Fine for a night but I wouldn't plan a long stay with the family.

The wedding on Saturday was very well organised with good food and excellent service, well marshalled and beautifully put together, although I'm going to give the credit to the bride and her family. Well done and thank you Mr and Mrs C.

Breakfast was full English with a good variety although my wife reported that the smoked fish was a little undercooked.

There are a few off-putting signs: "all damages will be paid for" and " if you take a mug from the bedroom, you will be charged" which appear a bit off-putting, but my overwhelming impression of this hotel was of young staff who appeared very focused on the customers, with high standards all round.
Not inexpensive but I would go back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had a night here last week - very well located just off the A66 but very quiet. I got there late so it wass all a bit quiet and as breakfast didnt start until 7.30 I had to leave before that. However, good friendly staff and a good ambience. I would go back to experience more of it, including some food !

Room Tip: I had room 6 which was relatively small and no view as it faced inwards over a flat roof. Ask for an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The morritt Arms is a lovely place and was let down on our visit by poor service (length of time between courses even though for dinner there were only a few customers), the food was nice but the portion sizes were a joke. A couple of people from our party complained but staff were disinterested.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I went to the Morritt at Christmas with a group of friends we had an amazing time! It was great value for money as we had a 3 course meal and a DJ. The Hotel itself is lovely, great food, friendly staff. I would love to go back and maybe stay overnight.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Morritt Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!