Generally good with some minor problems. The room was only dressed for one person on arrival in spite of the hotel being aware that two guests were expected. However, this was addressed relatively quickly following a call to reception.
The room we stayed in was overpriced. We were expecting a beautiful room which had been thoughtfully furnished for a rate of £120.00 a night. There is no doubting that the hotel is attractive at the front facade, but to the rear there are number of newer annexes which somewhat spoil the country house feel. The common areas are what you would expect in an old public house \ hotel, but the furniture and finishes don't reflect the price. Much the same can be said of the room, but perhaps to a greater degree. In our view the furniture and finishes don't offer much beyond what you would find in a Travellodge or Premier Inn, albeit do fit with the country house feel. For avoidance of doubt, we were not troubled by the style of the furnishings and fittings, but that they were cheap and did not reflect the room rate.
We slept relatively well, but we were disturbed by an industrial type noise and speaking between what we presume were hotel staff at around 1.30am. This was at least partly due to us having the window wide open because the room was uncomfortably hot on what was a relatively cool summer evening!
The room and common areas were clean, although we did find some form of insect catcher underneath the edge of the bed, which had a number of insects in it. We did also speak to another guest who had mould in their room, but acknowledge this is simply hearsay.
Convenient location just off the A66 and easy to find. Very limited off the road parking, but the hotel is at the end of the road so we felt relatively comfortable parking on the road.
As alluded to above, we felt the room was considerably over priced. The furniture and fittings were cheap and the country hotel theme was not continued throughout. By way of example, there was industrial lino in the bathroom and a cheap bathroom suite. Nothing was terrible, just not what we expected given the room rate. On a positive note, the room was relatively large.
We had the Morritt breakfast, which was essentially a full english breakfast. The food was generally of a high standard with quality ingredients. Our only slight niggle was the relatively slow service, but we acknowledge that a large number of guests descended on the breakfast room at the same time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape the urban hubbub, relax and unwind at The Morritt Country House Hotel & The Garage Spa. Situated in picturesque Teesdale countryside, and easily accessible from the A66, we offer northern welcomes and an unstuffy, romantic atmosphere. With award-winning food, a luxurious modern spa, and individually designed guest rooms, we're perfect for short breaks, special occasions, weddings or an escape from the every-day. As a family-fun hotel and spa we place a great deal of value on service. Our customers constantly tell us that it is our employees who make The Morritt a special place to visit. Our philosophy is "yes, we can" - if we can do something for you, we will do our best to accommodate your request. We look forward to giving you a warm welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your The Morritt Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Morritt Country House Hotel And Restaurant
- Morritt Arms Hotel
- Morritt Arms Barnard Castle