“Christmas Party Success” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cockliffe Country House Hotel

You added Cockliffe Country House Hotel to your Saves list
Cockliffe Country House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Burntstump Hill, Calverton, Nottingham NG5 8PQ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calverton
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Christmas Party Success”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We had a really great night on the 13th December at Cockliffe Country House Hotel's Party night.

The food was great, the music excellent and all of the staff attentive and helpful. If you are thinking of visiting the Cockliffe Country House Hotel to dine, then given that Christmas meals are not usually the best on offer from a lot of establishments - then Cockliffe Country House Hotel broke that rule. All of our Party of 9 throughly enjoyed the fayre on offer and if this is what they can provide at this busy period imagine what they can do in the normal run of things.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for a few days for a wedding, was fantastic. Had a parent in a wheelchair and the staff made it accessible which was fantastic. Nothing to complain the service, wedding and photos were fab, rooms rearranged just for us. Private party all most.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
High Wycombe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Cockliffe is set in very nice grounds. You could hear road noise from either the A60 or A614, but this disappeared once inside. There is no reception as such but you are met by a pleasant staff member who checked our booked and led us back outside to Room 8. Slightly strange as I would have expected to access our room from within. Once inside our room I did notice some leaves on the carpet that I thought my wife had brought in. She later told me that they were already in the room. The room was cold and felt damp. Now I have a poor sense of smell but my wife assures me that the room had that musky damp smell. The wall on the left side of the bed had peeling paint and flacking plaster that was damp to the touch. We also noticed that the lower bed sheet had dirty marks on it. The room’s dustbin had also not been cleaned. As for the bathroom, there were many holes and used raw plugs where bathroom furniture had been removed but no repair work completed. One of the lights didn't work. We contacted the manager, Eugene who came to our room and was shown everything. He said he had only owned the hotel 4 months and was in process of completing refurbishments. He did offer us another room but between the boss and I we declined his offer. If we had any thoughts of staying they went right out of our minds as my wife went to use the toilet before we left, raised the lid and found that it was not clean. I apologise to the delicate reader, but certain items were just peeking out from the 'S' bend. I’m normally happy to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this was the last straw. Which is a shame as friends of ours in Nottingham have used this hotel before and been very satisfied. Sadly I was not.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

Had a lovely Afternoon Tea at Cockliffe House on Friday 7th November.
Laura who I booked the day with has been very helpful from start to finish and even email afterwards to see how we enjoyed the day (not many would do that!)
The food was lovely and plenty of it - there was that much we took pack up's home.
Our Waiter was very attentive and nothing was too much trouble for him.
The place was very clean and warm on a cold, wet day.

The only reason I couldn't give it a 5 was because there were no plain scones but I have mentioned this to Laura and she assures me that she will put some on my plate next time, Yum!

Will be going back soon. Thank you Cockliffe House, Great experience.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

My husband surprised me with a weekend break the weekend just gone in the white room. The room was beautiful. Only fault discharges that the hallway light was shining thru our bedroom door which annoyed me when trying tobgetyijgvto sleep. The staff were lovely food was faultless. I wonderfully recommend this hotel firewall the negative comments as they nearly put my husband off but I'm so glad they didnt. We have stayed in lots of hotels and I would put this up there with the best. Drinks are very pricey though so I would recommend you take your own for your room. We are however in process of booking this hotel to renew our wedding vows for next year

Room Tip: White room is beautiful or the Byron room
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

Cockliffe House markets itself under four AA stars and 2 English Tourism rosettes, but I can only conclude that this establishment has not been inspected for a while? My family stayed there in 2 rooms over the weekend of 8th & 9th November 2014, and given the top end room rate, we had expected to be impressed by the operational standards. Unfortunately, we were left disappointed and feeling we'd paid well over the odds for the quality on offer.

Principle gripes were over hygiene and maintenance - basic elements of hotel management that should be primary goals in a customer focus policy. Cockliffe House let's itself down badly in these areas. I suppose it would be fair to anticipate a degree of 'shabby gentility' in a country house hotel, but when attractive eccentricity drifts into neglect, complaint is justified and this was our perception of Cockliffe.

Bedrooms were infested with spiders and ancient cobwebs (arachnophobes beware!), toilets were uncleaned and tile grout dirty and mouldy and we suspected a bit of rodent activity based on nocturnal scampering noises that were heard from behind the scenes. We didn't get the opportunity to see the whole hotel, but there was also a large damp patch in the dining room, general wear and tear everywhere and a builders skip left near our rooms in the converted outhouses.

All of the above is a bit of a shame as the surroundings are very pleasant, investment has gone into the nicely creative interior design at some earlier stage, the breakfast was good and the staff very friendly and attentive. With a bit more focus from the management on housekeeping and maintenance, this could be a business worthy of accolade.

However, we left feeling disappointed and frankly ripped off.

Room Tip: We stayed in outhouses - main building rooms might be better maintained?
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night in October and I would not hesitate to visit again.
Being a Dr my standards are very high and this hotel matches my standards. The rooms are lovely and the food is first class.
The bad reviews are in regards to previous ownership and should be ignored.

5 stars.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Cockliffe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!