“Best beach for adult fun!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Beaches, State Parks, Outdoors
Activities: Snorkeling, Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the nicest sand beaches on the Kohala coast.
3 attraction reviews
“Best beach for adult fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

More beautiful than any of the exclusive hotel beaches, with ample parking. We saw baby humpback whales right offshore and boogie boarded on the large waves. My kids were afraid of the waves, so they dug in the sand and played. Mom and dad tried to coax them in but could not. The next day, we took our kids to a calmer beach so they could swim, but they still dug in the sand most of the time.

Visited April 2013

• Korean first
cut bank mt
3 attraction reviews
“Faboulous beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We were there in late March, and went there twice. The first time we did not pay, but the second time it was a five dollar charge. It was well worth the price. The sand is beautiful, and a lot of shade in the upper portion. But don't forget an umbrella. You can also rent bogie boards, chairs, umbrella,s and a nice snack bar. The bathrooms need some tender loving care, but hopefully they will use the entrance fee for cleaning services. My three teenage grandkids had a great time. It is about a 45 minute drive north from Kona. Bring lots of sunscreen, as my feet and back can prove it. Silly me.

Visited March 2013
Northern Virginia
20 attraction reviews
“Favorite Beach on Big Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Loved this beach!!
When I went, it wasn't crowded--not sure if its always like that or if we're lucky. There were others but plenty of space that everyone is spaced far enough apart so it feels private. Quiet, relaxing and perfect for both playing in the water and sunbathing on the sand. The waves here were really gentle on my visit (great, because I can't swim), although I've heard there can be undertows certain times of the year. There are bathroom/shower facilities but pretty basic. I think the facilities at Mauna Kea beach nearby are better and cleaner, but I liked Hapuna Beach a bit better.
There seemed to be plenty of parking when we went, so I'm thankful we did not have to circle around like vultures waiting for a spot to free up. If you stay in the Kailua-Kona area, its only about 35-40 minutes away. The drive did not bother me.

Visited May 2012
Vancouver, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Great Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A group of us were at this beach in January 2013. What great fun! Lots of nice sand, awesome waves. Hours of fun on boogie boards with everyone. Good parking.
Noticed a refreshment stand as we were leaving but didn't get anything from it.

Visited January 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
13 attraction reviews
“Fantastic beach...and honu if you're lucky!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Take the turn for Puako and hang a right; you'll see the parking lot not too far down. Beautiful beach, calm water, abundant wildlife, great snorkel or paddleboard spot! Last year we saw manta here, this year the green sea turtles were grazing for hours in waist-deep water, surfacing for a quick breath right next to us. There's shade if you want it, too. There are some lava outcroppings, but most water entry points are clear. There's a small (maybe 2 foot) drop off as you enter the bay; it's not a big deal unless you're not expecting it or looking for turtles poking their heads out of the water.

Visited March 2013