“Great views...” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Gainesville, Virginia
“Great views...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great views of one of the best sand beaches of the big island. Ate lunch there and the Mahi sandwich which was very good, but pricey. Expect to pay very high prices for the view and above average food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

midwest
“great place to eat right on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Can eat lunch here daily and dinner some nights. I do love the grilled mahi mahi sandwich and the cobb salad is very good. It's pretty pricey for lunch but very convenient if you are spending the day on the beach.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I can't believe the negative reviews I have read about the Hau Tree. I ate there 4 times while staying at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and I was never disappointed. The mahi mahi sandwich, the ovaltine shakes, and the turkey club sandwich with avocado and bacon were all delicious. The ovaltine shakes may seem odd, but they are delicious and I have made them since I returned home to bring back memories of my time at the Mauna Kea.

Service was always superb and on my last day,eating lunch before going to the airport, the waitress refilled my tea and then, without asking for it, brought me another iced tea to go for the drive to the airport.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Rafael, California
1,140 helpful votes 1,140 helpful votes
“Lunch at the Beach.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This rating is comparing to other beachside restaurants. We ate lunch here while staying at the nearby Fairmont. We wanted to check out other hotels. This was not easy to get to with our baby and stroller, but once we were there it was decent. Most of the beach view was blocked by beach chairs though. The menu was limited, but the food was pretty good. I had a salad with avocados and artichoke, it was pretty tasty. We thought the service was very good, but that might be because we said we were comparing this to the restaurants at the Fairmont. It was slightly less expensive than the Fairmont. The hotel also looked very nice, but we didn't look inside the rooms. If you eat here, i would tell them you are comparing ( if you are) restaurants and you might get better service. If you think this review was helpful please check that little button that says so. Thank you.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lihue, Hawaii
“Perfection by the sea.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012 via mobile

The food: stellar. Wagyu beef burger cooked perfectly, salad greens crispy and fresh with ripe avocado. Nice wine selection. Kids menu has great choices. Setting: unbelievably gorgeous beachfront dining. They were super busy, but our server Ashlynn was excellent. Can't say enough about this place. Portions were sized great for the price as well (compared to the tiny portions and high prices at Beach Tree at Fouf Seasons).

• 5 of 5 stars Food