“I hope they're all not like this” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 70 restaurants in Kohala Coast
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Queen Kaahumanu Highway
Kailua-Kona
“I hope they're all not like this”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Way, way overpriced for the quality. My guest and I each ordered the ribeye steak medium rare. The quality advertised was "prime" which means lots of marbling and tenderness. I should have known better when the place setting came with sharp steak knives. The steak was cooked exactly as advertised, warm pink in the middle, so it wasn't the chef, it was the steak. Both of us had to hack away at this fifty dollar (?) half inch thick piece of meat from the grocery store.
I couldn't figure out what sort of sauce it was in or why there was sauce, but I see from another review that it was put on a sizzling plate of butter. No wonder I barely made it back home to evacuate my bowels. Way too much grease.
I seldom eat beef, but when I do, I love that steak house flavor, you know the one, but it was lacking here. A month ago I bought a New York from Safeway and fried it at home, and got the exact same flavor (except Safeway's was tender).
We also had to wait about an hour for the server after we were seated. When he showed up, he was really pushing the wine, too. The food did come hot, though.
When Ruth opened her Chris Steak House in Sacramento, my friends all raved about the size and the quality, so I was looking for something really terrific. Evidently when Ruth and her family sold out to the big corporation (NASDAQ: "RUTH"), the bean counters took over from the chefs. I hope all of the other franchises are not like this one, but I doubt if I'll find out because I'm not going to take another fifty dollar chance.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
  • Korean first
Sarasota
“Great food and service as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I ate here one evening while we were staying at the Mauna Lani Bay hotel. As always the food and service were excellent, just what you would expect at a Ruth's Chris restaurant

Visited November 2012
Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had an amazing dinner here, as one of our last nights on the Big Island. Service was good (but not extraordinary), and the meal was delicious! We shared the clams for an appy, which featured a great sauce, but the clams themselves were incredibly small. We also shared a side of asparagus, which were tasty.

My girlfriend ordered the rack of lamb, which was cooked perfectly! It was incredibly tender, and flavorful. I had the surf and turf (my steak was cooked a perfect med-rare, which so many other restaurants these days fine hard to do; but the lobster was tough and overcooked). All in all, a wonderful dinner!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Another great steakhouse of this chain in a wonderful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have never had a bad meal in a Ruth's Chris steakhouse. This one is located between the Mauna Lani and Fairmont Orchid Resorts. The food was excellent (as usual) and the service was excellent (as desired but occasionally not up to par). I highly recommend this restaurant, even though the prices are high..

Visited November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Care for a little steak with your butter?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love steak and I've had some great steak dinners in my time. This was not one of them. My primary "beef" is that they use the old trick of smothering their steaks in butter to make them seem more moist and tasty. The result is an extra unhealthy overly rich piece of meat that I didn't even want to finish. To boot, my steak was a bit tough.

I debated talking to the waiter about it but he was flying around handling way too many customers so I didn't even bother. I'm sure this place has served some excellent meals in its time but this night was definitely off.

• Visited November 2012