“Home from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Upton B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I was a bit unsure when I first arrived because the property is so residential, not at all like a commercial hotel. However, the rooms and facilities were impeccably clean, slightly small but all we needed was a bed for the night and an en-suite. Breakfast was good. The outstanding feature was the hospitality of Jan and Ian. They made us feel completely at home and the experience was like staying with family. A bizarre experience for us as this is the first place like this I've ever stayed in but I would definitely go back again if I'm ever in the area again.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

I'm a Consultant whom travels the length and breadth of this fair Isle working at all of the hospitals.

Arrow Park, Clatterbridge, Aintree and Broadgreen hospitals, I scheduled recently.

I use NHS accommodation reservations (In-House) to identify and book my nights away from home.

The team advised me that the usual main hotel brands had vacancies but that one of their team had stayed at this establishment in Upton recently and couldn't rate it enough. Furthermore, it was suggested that it was a B&B - something that had my hair on end (Blackpool landladys - come to my mind...)

I reluctantly agreed to their recommendation.

I arrived the evening, at a rather up market property, located in the quaint village of Upton.

I parked my car, in the ample off-road parking, provided at this B&B - Free - I may add!

Just I was unloading, I was greeted by one of the owners, I now know to be Ian.

I thought that I must have met him in a previous life, as he was so helpful in assisting me into his property. He asked me if I had had a good journey and duly accompanied to my room.
My fears of a B&B had simply eroded. I certainly should never judge a book by its cover....

My room was bright, contemporary designed and spacious.

The bed linen was top quality and the bed was so comfortable (Holiday Inn / Ramada - please note). I had a LCD television and coffee/tea making facilities at hand. (Nescafe / Tetley - none of your 1000 bags for a shilling shenanigans.)

The room was warm but not over powering.

The bathroom was en-suite and meticulously clean and very modern.

I had to remind myself that I was in a B&B - as the £65.00 per night tariff, was evidently excellent value-for-money... oh and this was inclusive of a full English too!! I personally, would have expected to pay more, given the standards set here...no expense seemingly was sparred with the redevelopment of the owners home into a business.

I showered in the designer cubicle, again spotless (though not when I left it!)
-- The owners even provide complimentary shower gels and conditioners (All branded!!)

I benefited from the high-speed wi-fi (again free - no vouchers or scams here..Premier Inn - take note!) and identified a hostelry right on my door step and off I went.

On my way out, Ian asked me in to the dining room, for a complimentary drink.

How could I refuse!!!

I met his partner here, Jan, a professional business consultant whom I found to have an immense knowledge of the local area and business awareness, that could only have come from Karen Brady or even Alan Sugar..(should i type Sir here..?)

My wife was looking to start her own business, so I engaged with Jan and was given lots of impartial advice and reference materials. Jan runs consultancy surgeries and this is also available at Old Greasby B&B. Wow - certainly not your run of the mill establishment.

Ian served me a beer and we all had a toast.

The atmosphere was tempting and despite my stomach telling me it was hungry, I chose to ignore the kicking pains, as Ian's sense of humour was so infectious. Being a proud "scouser" no subject was taboo... that said, i think Jan would have preferred football talk, to be banned, as typically when two men engage in an academic "who's the best" discussion..... any lady would decline to participate - not Jan!! Oh no, she knew Liverpool's leading goal scorers, the formation most suited to the Reds and every fact relating to the Shankly legacy... good on you Jan!!

I asked about settling my account, as its often easier for myself to pay cash and claim it back from the NHS. I was offered the option of card payment, though I declined, as cash is easier for me and my circumstances... In with the humour again, Ian thanked me and said he would get more drink in now, for the two us.... as he had some pocket money!! A legend!

I was given an invoice for my payment.

I left the lovely couple and went to address issues with my stomach.

On my return, I went to my bed - most content!

The morning came (too quickly) and I went down for breakfast.

My host, Ian, greeted me and asked me what I fancied to start my morning.

I opted for the full English - well worth it!! Excellent produce, cooked fresh and more than adequate portions (even for the most greediest, of us all). I was asked if I wanted more toast and fresh coffee, which I declined.

As with a majority of the "hotel brands" check-out is 10:30am.

I was most saddened to depart, as I felt so relaxed and part of their family.

In summary, this may be a B&B; but it certainly sets the standards.

I agree with NHS reservations - if its good enough for them to have it as their first choice for their consultants and exceeds their criteria - then who am I to disagree.

It was a real pleasure "sharing" Ian & Jan's home.

This place is a hidden gem!!

I look forward now to returning to the area and would not hesitate to book my stay here...

regards

• Stayed March 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Many thanks for an enjoyable stay, we'd definitely stay again if we were in the area.

Greeted at the door on arrival by the lovely, friendly hosts, Ian & Jan.

Knowing that we were running late for an event, we were promptly checked in & shown to our room.

Room was nice with a spacious en suite.

Called us a cab & offered us complimentary drinks whilst we waited to be picked up.

Comfortable bed to come back to. Nice & quiet. Brilliant nights sleep.

Full English to send us on our way the following morning.

Couldn't ask for anything more.

Thanks again guys.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
chorley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I'm not one to grumble but I was so glad I only stayed here the one night. I would mark this stay as one of the worst having stayed in many B&B's and hotels throughout the world. This accommodation although extremely clean was, in my opinion, overpriced for what was on offer. Apparently, this couple have not been doing this long and it shows. They definitely need to be more customer friendly towards their guests, especially the male. I had an American friend over and my friend and I had gone for a meal with friends in Liverpool whilst my husband decided to golf instead. He arrived at Old Greasby House (which, by the way is not old but quite a new property) at 1pm hoping he may, at least, be able to drop our luggage in if not actually being admitted. However, he was met with a shrug and wasn't even invited to store our luggage. He went on his way feeling rather bemused. On his return at around 5pm, he was admitted and shown to our room. My American friend and I arrived around half an hour later having been given a lift from a girlfriend who lived close by. On arrival, we were met by the male host whose first words were directed at my friend who was told quite unpleasantly "you cant park there you're blocking the way". Let me say at this point that she was "dropping" us off and also there was plenty of room and was certainly not blocking anywhere. The next words out of mine host's mouth was "right how are we paying". The three of us were left standing in the lounge/dining room whilst my friend paid the cash! We were not offered a seat or any kind of nice welcome. My American friend was then informed that the cash was welcome so he could buy his beer. It wasn't funny nor was it meant to be, he was being honest. As I was not told that my husband was already there, I had to ask! Feeling more than awkward, my girlfriend who had dropped us off said she would leave, not having had an opportunity to be introduced to my husband. We were then shown to our rooms.

The room which did have the advantage of an en-suite was quite small had a very small screen t.v on a side wall to the bed head and could not be seen as it was set at a funny angle which could not be moved. A set of adaptor plugs were set midway up the wall untidily and we could not understand how this had been passed. At £65 per night this was not what I was expecting and was embarrassed at having taken my American friend here. The icing on the cake was when I read on the information sheet by the bed that the payment was due on day of departure!!! Why then were we asked for payment on first arriving??? This left me even more upset and disappointed. I was actually going to mention it to the host but decided to leave it. The information sheet also stated that we were welcome to use the lounge/dining room during our stay which certainly wasn't obvious from the welcome we received. Lounge seating was not evident in this room apart from the fact the owner's family were permanently using it anyway. anyway. Breakfast was quite minimal - a small slice of bacon, one sausage ....etc, I had to ask for more toast as I wasn't offered it. As i do not eat eggs, I was expecting something in their place but nothing was offered.

Throughout our stay, we did not feel comfortable and we were very glad to leave at 10.30 a.m. which was the time they expected their guests to depart. On arrival at our next hotel, The Holiday Inn Express in Hoylake, we were welcomed in at 11 a.m. offered coffee and given our room keys. Lovely large rooms which were absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at Old Greasby House twice, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, friendly hosts,clean and beautifully decorated rooms and en suite and a lovely breakfast. All you need for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed with 11 yr old for a couple of nights whilst visiting friends. Easy to find, super friendly (and helpful) hosts, clean room (with mezzanine) and en suite, terrific breakfast. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here one night as we were there attending a surprise 30th. As soon as we arrived we couldn't of been made more welcome! Room was perfect and very clean an facilities were fab! Breakfast was lovely (although I was too hungover to face a full English) my husband thoroughly enjoyed it an polished off the lot! Fantastic family run business by down to earth friendly family. Definitely stay again and highly recommend!! Thanks for making our stay great. Emma & Ross (from middlesbrough) :0))

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Old Greasby House? Share your experiences!