“An amazing hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Free Fourth Night!
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Sayan
“An amazing hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I spent five nights at the end of our honeymoon here. It is a beautiful place, all the buildings blend into the natural surroundings and the river running through the bottom is amazing.
The staff were all very helpful, friendly and polite.
The only downside is the price of food, drinks and the Spa. I appreciate this is a premium 5+ star hotel but when two drinks cost more than a meal, drinks, tax, tip and taxi in a really nice restaurant in Ubud it makes it very difficult to use the facilities offered, as good as they are!
The food itself is excellent, we had complimentary breakfasts which were amazing and no extra charge to have them in our room!
Talking of which! The rooms were awesome, we had a deluxe duplex which was amazing, wonderful views of the river and gardens, amazing windows, and two balconies! We thought these were incredible, I would love to see what the Villas were like!
Well worth a splurge but I would recommend eating and getting massages in Ubud!

Room Tip: Our room was exceptional although they all had views of the river! One tip though bring ear plugs b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Uday R, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Perhaps we shall look forward to welcoming you back to stay in our villas on your next holiday.

632 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in the Sayan Villa. The villa itself was beautiful , design and furnishings top notch. The staff at this hotel are excellent - went above and beyond my highest expectations to make my stay here so good. The spa is fantastic and in particular the spa suites are amazing , a very serene beautiful place. I ate in the hotel for every meal and every meal was fantastic. Looking forward to returning here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Uday R, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for your comments about the newly renovated villas, spa, staff and the overall service of the resort. It is truly much appreciated.
The spa villas are quite an experience as it makes a huge difference when getting one of the longer rituals or chakra treatments.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Thank you once again.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We love the Four Seasons brand and have stayed in a number of their properties during our travels. There are some things that you can depend on at the Four Seasons: beautiful design and impeccable service. The staff will all know your name within an hour of your arrival and do anything within their power to make your stay memorable. The General Manager spoke with us twice during our stay and made us feel very welcome.

Four Seasons Sayan is a particularly beautiful setting. We stayed in a very private one bedroom villa that had a very zen feel to it. We enjoyed seeing the property and adjacent village and rice fields during the morning guided walk. This is a included activity and one that I would recommend.

Food at the resort is very good though far pricier than usual in Bali. Best to make dinner reservations in town and have one of the hotel's car drop you off.

We spent 5 nights at this resort and were very sad to leave. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Bali

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Its always a pleasure to meet someone from a place where I once use to work. Thank you very much for your feedback about the services and the resort's facilities.

The guided tour as you mentioned is a wonderful activity and one of our most popular guided tour done by the resort. So glad you enjoyed it.

You will be pleased to know that we have made adjustments in the food and beverage prices and continue to make adjustments when we get feedback.

Thank you once again and hope to see you here in Bali in the not so distant future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The photographs and the website all look great but you don't really appreciate how amazing this place is until you get here. The resort is entered down a private lane which doesn't really prepare you for the views as your car drops you off at the entrance. You are greeted by name, and our son Tom (7) got a welcome pack of T shirt, hat and some other stuff and was greeted by name as well. You get a chilled aromatic towel and bottle of water to fortify you for the walk across the 50m bridge to what feels like the top of the star ship enterprise. It is a circular lake built on top of the hotel that feels like it is suspended in mid air, a hundred metres above the valley and the river. There is a deck there where you are greeted with a fresh juice (after your exhausting 50m bridge walk ;-) ) and given a welcome pack and brief induction to the hotel. You then descend down a wooden staircase to the next level which has a bar terrace that again feels suspended in mid air. There are multiple further levels and decks with a restaurant, fitness area and spa and finally down to the rice terraces and a pool and bar area by the river. Throughout our 3 day stay we kept saying to each other how beautiful the place was. Our son was referred to by his name by all of the staff and he loved the complementary kids club and wanted to go back each day (which freed us up to enjoy the spa and just soak in the spirit of the place). Top memories include 7am yoga on top of the starship which was a huge suspended lotus pond. Amenities in the room all excellent including very comfortable beds, more smellies than you could use
I was prompted to find out who designed the place and it's a mob called HST architects. Those guys are inspired!
Breakfast is not the usual boring buffet but is all a la carte and is very high quality and I especially enjoyed the Korean breakfast selection of fillet steak, fish, kimchi, soup and rice. Kids are spoilt for choice too.
There are few places you visit where the beauty of the nature surrounding you in your resort make you feel very blessed to have had the privilege to have had the chance to witness it.

Room Tip: I can only comment on the villa we stayed at (61) which was at the top of the resort. It offered st...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
The arrival experience at the Four Seasons Sayan is quite dramatic and overwhelming. By far the most memorable arrivals I personally have experienced having been with the company for 2 decades. As you said, you are transported into a different world and you feel you are walking into the Starship Enterprise. One does feel suspended in mid air immersed into the forest and in such close proximity.

Kids are always a priority for us and we love to take care of them. They make the holidays special and one must not ignore them despite their age. Thrilled to read that your son had a great time at the kids club.

Perhaps, we shall be welcoming your son with his significant other one day in the years ahead. Look forward to welcoming you back and thank you very much for your wonderful comments.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Very Peaceful and secluded - you even have your own little pool off of your private villa - romantic and beautiful. The massages were incredible - everything is impeccable and of the highest quality. The people everywhere in Bali are so kind and sweet. The tiny frogs on the property were so cute too! Unbelievable!

Stayed February 2013
Uday R, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
The tiny frogs add to the charm and beauty of the Sayan valley. I call them the Sayan forest symphony.

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for staying with us. I am delighted that the team here was able to make some fond memories for you. We hope to see you again in the future.

The frogs will be waiting here in Bliss!

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We are very frequent travellers and although we travel almost two months a year, I've never written a review of a hotel since reviews can be very subjective. But I had write this review to compare my experience at Banyan Tree Ungasan.

First, the scenery. We were so mesmerized by its landscape and architecture. The building was as if it was a remodelled medieval castle. The main building had a lobby, a restaurant (Ayung Terrace), a spa, a fitness center, and a library-business center. Everything was easily accessible.

Now, the villas. We travel with 8-year-old twin BOYS and we usually book pool villas to lock ourselves in for the sake of other people's tranquility. We were put in the villa 24. Basically villas are either in the lower part of the resort below the main building, or in the upper part before crossing 'the bridge' to the lobby. Villa 24 was in the lower part, and we requested to be moved to another villa as it had very blocked view. I felt somehow nervous staying in there with very locked feeling. They willingly moved us to one of the upper villa, Villa 53, and it had much better open space. The villas were supposed to be exactly the same, but for sure, the villas in the lower part had nicer ceilings, newer looking furniture, and small but fancier touches than the upper ones. I much preferred the upper villas because of the open area feeling, but I guess it's just a personal preference. They both had 100% privacy, and skinny dippinng was no problem. FYI, pool villas are actually duplexes where one unit is shared by 2 pool villas with a wall to separate them. I believe Riverfront Villas are independent.

And most importantly(for us,) the service. We were greeted by our names all the time, and the staff took the pains of memorizing our boys' names as well as our villa number. From gardeners to managers, they were always friendly and polite approaching us. They would start up conversations, showing us that they cared and were very willing to help us feel welcome, comfortable, and secured. Everything was done even before being asked, and if anything came up, it was done in a very respective manner.

Breakfast was, in my 10 years of travelling experience, the best. Everything was perfectly made to order. The FNB staff tried to do anything to meet our demands, and certainly succeeded in satisfying us. We also tried the poolside restaurant, but I prefer Ayung Terrace a bit more. I should note Mr.Putra, the assistant manager at Ayung Terrace had the nicest way of starting up conversations. He made me think twice about my choice of wordings when I talk to others.

The spa holds all kinds complementary activities. We were at first eager to take in parts in some of them, but ended up participating in only one program, bike riding tour of the rice paddies. Our guide(sorry forgot her name) made a great impression of a Balinese as she greeted every person we passed by while riding through the small farming town. It was very memorable.

We made a good use of kids club there. There were activities posted but seemed like they were not done as there weren't just enough kids. One thing, when my kids wanted to come back to the villa, they asked their teacher to get a buggy. Well, the teacher did call the buggy and let them out without checking with us. Not once, but Twice. Fortunately, we were on our way to pick them up both times and ran into them both times. I would have complained madly about this incident at other hotels, but at four seasons, I knew that the boys wouldn't have gotten lost since all the staff already knew which villa they were staying, and even though we weren't at our villa to greet them back, the staff would have done something to comfort them. The staff certainly made us believe that this would be possible. This really sums up the service and the trust that they built for us.

Yes, the villas are not as fancy as the ones in Banyan Tree, and yes, the location is 5 dollars taxi ride away from the ubud center, but YES, we will DEFINITELY RETURN!! You made us check out other four season resorts. Great Job,., and we Thank You.

Room Tip: Opt for Riverfront Villas as they are not duplexes and has better open view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
It's always a delight and gratifying to read comments such as this, knowing that we have a Four Seasons fan. No greater compliment for us to know that we have converted you to Four Seasons.

Thank you for all your wonderful feedback and kind words. Rest assured we shall share these with the team, along with your comment on the kids club.

Thank you once again and your upper villa will be ready for your future visits.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was lucky enough to spend four nights and three days at Four Seasons Sayan. The resort is nestled in a valley of lush forest and the property effortlessly blends into its Balinese landscape. If you think the property looks beautiful in brochures and websites, wait until you see it in real life. The unique beauty, amazing architectural structure and exotic landscape will blow your mind away. I stayed in a stunning, recently refurbished one-bedroom villa. The bed was sumptuous (best mattress and pillows I have ever come across), the bath and bathroom big and luxurious. The out door living, pool and shower area was equisite. I spent my time drifting from my villa to one of the restaurants to the pool by the river to the spa. My massages were sublime, simply the best I have had in decades. The General Manager is a delight and genuinely cares about your experience and his commitment to his guests is reflected in his staff. Your every whim is catered for with a smile. I can't recommend Four Seasons Sayan more highly. I left refreshed and spiritually energised. My sincere thanks to the General Manager and his wonderful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for such kind words.

The way you spend your time during your holiday, is my kind of trip. Drifting from the villa, to the pool, to the spa...you didn't mention "nap time"! But I am sure that was part of it too.

Thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes
Uday

Been to Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan? Share your experiences!