“I recommend 2bed room !” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Fourth Night!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sayan
Tokyo, Japan
“I recommend 2bed room !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

you can see Ayun river from room.I ever haven't seen Terraced rice fields.I was impressed.Build in the room has become very useful.There is room perfect for families.The first night, I heard the croaking of a frog. But the sound was music very cozy for me.Gardener had grown crops well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

What a fabulous hotel perched on the side of a hill leading down to the river. The grounds are tropical and immaculate.

The staff was superb and friendly, addressing us, including my daughter by name making the experience very personable.

We stayed in a Villa that was beautiful and newly renovated, including a pool which is needed due to the heat and humidity.

The Spa was amazing with 3 free standing huts elevated above a pond. I learned the "main" spa was being renovated but this didn't impact my impression of the experience.

A MUST stay, just beautiful!

• Stayed March 2013
JimbaranDenpasar, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review and it is indeed an honour to be titled 'Heavenly'.

I am glad to hear that the beautiful design of the resort, and the newly renovated villas left a lasting impression in you. I am also happy to read that you found our service friendly and personalised. I will share this with my team.

Please let me know the next time you plan to visit and I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort then.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The most beautiful grounds, the most generous and caring staff created the best trip ever.

It is impossible to express how Uday Rao (General Manager) and his team can wrap you into a personal and family like experience on this massive piece of verdant paradise.

Your soul will never be the same.

Room Tip: You can be in the air or down on the most impressive running river. We choose the river facing a bea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JimbaranDenpasar, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pen these beautiful words.

It is reviews such as yours that truly motivate my team and inspires me to offer an even higher level of service.

All I would like to say is, a big thank you and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the resort if your future vacation plan brings you to Bali.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Four Seasons Resort is more than an hour away from the frenzied environs of Denpasar Airport. As you drive past mile after mile of activity (motorbikes, stray dogs, roadside vendors) it is impossible to anticipate just how tranquil the resort setting will be. A sudden turn off the main road, descent down a steep slope and you are in a different world. The resort is set on the banks of a river amidst jungle and rice paddies. Although built only 14 years ago, there is no newness about the buildings, indeed it feels as if the jungle has grown around them.

Our room, a villa with a plunge pool, was not the most expensive but it is difficult to think of anything more that you could conceivably want or need. The large outside terrace is not overlooked and all that you can see from the infinity plunge pool or the outside seating is the lush vegetation with birds, butterflies and occasional glimpses of squirrels after coconuts. Part of the outside area is covered and contains amongst other things the large mini bar. Furnishings outside are largely of cane, rattan and local hardwoods; decorations inside and out have the appearance of local antiquities.

The inside area divides into a large bedroom with more seating, presumably for those cold winter days when the temperature falls below 30c, and an extensive bathroom and dressing room area with copious storage space, his and hers basins, huge bath tub, separate toilet and separate shower. Everywhere it is light and airy. Good quality traditional materials have been used throughout with a great deal of marble especially evident. Decor is luxurious colonial; everything is tasteful and comfortable. A bowl of fresh, exotic (to us, at least) fruit is replenished daily. Technology has not been neglected: the air conditioning is effective, a large television offers channels in a multitude of languages and there is an infinite range of lighting possibilities for every occasion. My one criticism is of the additional charge (approximately £8 a day) for Wi Fi.

Service is a real strength from the moment you are rescued from the chaos of Denpasar airport and swept into the pick-up car's air-conditioned comfort with cold water and flannels, right through to departure where the driver enraged locals by stopping in the middle of busy roads for my wife to photograph the huge ogoh-ogoh (demonic statues made of bamboo and paper which are burnt on the evening before Nyepi or 'silent day'). Wherever we went in the hotel, we were greeted warmly by members of staff and we were amazed by how many were already referring to us by name within a day of our arrival.

Pool-side we were also looked after impeccably: parasols were erected and re-positioned against the moving sun, cold towels and iced water brought and renewed when we moved inside for a short while because of rain and every effort made to ward off hunger with complimentary drinks, iced lollies, fruit and smoothies all appearing in the course of a few hours. Somewhere in the middle of this we also enjoyed lunch in the pool-side bar.

The resort occupies quite a large site on a steep slope and whilst anybody the right side of decrepitude should have few problems in walking from the highest level rooms down to the infinity swimming pool, staff are determined to prevent unnecessary exertion by summoning one of a series of golf buggies to drive you from one location to another.

In our all-too-brief stay (3 nights only) we hired a car and an excellent driver (about £20 an hour) to take us first to the Monkey Forest and then on to an artisan jeweller and a woodcarving studio, both of which had the kind of quality items not to be found in nearby Ubud and at remarkably reasonable prices. (At my wife's request, he also stopped the car in the middle of the road to enable her to get a sunset photograph.) We particularly enjoyed the complimentary village walk which starts from the hotel at 08.00 each day. Lily, our guide, spent nearly two hours with us walking through the rice paddies and gardens where the hotel meets the river then on into the village of Sayan itself. Four Seasons Sayan employs 200 people, most of them from the immediate vicinity of the hotel, which may explain why people seem very happy for you to walk into their family compounds and even their homes. Both she and the driver gave us a great deal more insight into the Balinese people and their way of life than we could possibly have gathered unaided. We were also extremely impressed by the quality of the treatments available at the spa. We both enjoyed the Bali Massage which was new to us but extremely relaxing.

Food at the hotel is certainly not cheap and wine prices were so high because of prohibitive import duties that we were not prepared to pay them but if you choose luxury accommodation of this kind it is entirely predictable. We didn't bother to eat outside the hotel because of the brevity of our stay but there was more than enough variety for such a period of time. Both Western and Indonesian/Balinese tastes are catered for: breakfasts were part of our package and were big enough to eliminate the need for lunch. Dinners are again divided between local and international cuisines, with a fixed price menu and duck or suckling pig banquets prepared with 24 hours' notice.

In terms of what we were looking for on a stop-off at the end of a long, active holiday, i.e. relaxation in a comfortable, luxurious and peaceful location, this delivered in spades. I would recommend it without hesitation to anybody past the age when backpacker hostels lose their appeal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JimbaranDenpasar, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Wow! is the first feeling I had after reading your review.

We sincerely appreciate this very well written and detailed account of your stay with us and we want to thank you for it.

If you are ever planning a trip to Bali again, I do look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've got one word for you - RAM.

This woman is amazing! She is the resort manager and one the best I have ever met. From greeting you with a great smile and hug on arrival at check in to ensuring your stay is the best it possibly can be. She truly made the trip that much more memorable and this hotel stand out above any I've been to in the Four Seasons portfolio.

I got very ill the 2nd day with sweats and shakes. With one call to Ram she had a special batch of ginger tea made for me sent down to the room. I was cured within hours. Not sure if there is anything she cannot do.

The resort itself is a great place for relaxation and unwinding. We stayed in a river front one bedroom villa and this is the room you should book. They are upgrading their rooms with newer furnishing and we were fortunate to have one of them. Food was great, grounds are lush and made this the kind of place you look forward to returning to again.

Room Tip: Riverfront rooms are the one to book
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here in May 2012 with my husband in a pool villa (highly recommended). The weather was very hot and humid while we were there, and after a day of walking or hiking, we were so glad we had the plunge pool to cool down in. We had an enormous amount of space, which included a large bdrm, huge bathroom and dressing area, outdoor living space, and a little outdoor cabana/bed to relax and read. Everything here is so well done and tasteful, and the service is top notch. We ordered breakfast room service every morning and the food was excellent! It is a bit outside of Ubud center, but they have a shuttle or you can hire a taxi to bring you back and forth. The grounds are beautiful and perfectly kept, and staff was accomodating and polite. I highly recommend this Four Seasons property.

Room Tip: Spoil yourself and spend the extra money on a pool villa - it's worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
JimbaranDenpasar, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for your review on your stay at Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan. We truly appreciate you highly recommending our resort.

I am delighted to hear that our villa pool served you well in cooling you down after your day of hiking. It is indeed nice to relax in the villas which have much to offer by way of facilities and tranquility, especially with its setting.

We strive to provide a high level of service and so I am glad to read that you regard our service as 'top notch'.

Thank you once again for your time in writing this review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Michael Branham
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Four Seasons Sayan recently and enjoyed the break away from the chaos of the southern areas of Seminyak and Nusa Dua. The hotel was beautifully situated on a hillside above a river and surrounded by jungle. We were staying in one of their pool villas which was beautiful and large. The hotel is about a 15 min. drive from Ubud which brings me to my next point. The prices for food and drinks at the Four Seasons are ridiculously over-priced when one considers the local economy. It is four times what you pay outside in a local restaurant. You can take the hotel's car service into Ubud and back for $10 each way which is still cheaper than eating in and there are a lot of good restaurants in town that the hotel did recommend. They also provide a free shuttle every two hours into town and back free of charge but it only runs until 5 pm or so.
The next point is that we love Four Seasons hotels for the excellent service and the staff is always top-notch but in Sayan they seemed to be urged to "up-sell" and also were constantly reminding us of the resort's daily scheduled activities. Now we realize the hotel was not very busy so they were probably trying to improve the attendance but the activities calendar is in each room and with the morning papers at breakfast. Our inside joke became which cruise-ship line were we on!
We would still recommend Four Seasons Sayan and Jimbaran for a week but unfortunately Bali itself is not a place we would ever go back to. We were happy with our Sayan experience but went back to Seminyak and left 10 days earlier than scheduled because we couldn't stand the traffic, poor sidewalks and poor infrastructure which has occurred because Bali has not kept up with the volume of tourists it receives. The constant hawkers in your face and taxi drivers trying to rip you off is also a huge turn-off. Even a metered cab will ask for four times the metered amount at the end of the ride. We just got sick of it. We also found the beaches in Nusa Dua to be dirty and full of garbage and Seminyak is to rough to swim but great for surfers. The Four Seasons was the only part of Bali we enjoyed.

Room Tip: Stay in a pool villa
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan? Share your experiences!