“What can you say?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sayan
Melbourne
“What can you say?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Is this the world's best hotel? It is for me. After the gob-smacking entry architecture, you step into your villa and stand looking for a minute or two. Decor. Space. Pool. Jungle just beyond. And the staff were amazing. Genuinely happy and eager to do everything possible for you. No need to add to other general positive reports. A few tips: Go on the jungle walk your first morning. You see and meet real Bali (you really do) .. villages, artisans, farmers, all in two hours. Ask to do some rice planting. The villas nestle in amongst rice paddies within the hotel grounds. The staff will gladly teach you how to plant rice and get you to do a paddy or two. It's fun. Afterwards, a thirst quenching macheted coconut from the tree. The main pool is paradise along the river.Try the yoga sessions around the main elevated pond. And go to sleep listening to the sounds of a hundred exotic creatures.

Room Tip: Get a villa if you can.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I traveled to Bali solo, and started off in Kuta. But after 2 hours it was clear that was not my preferred holiday experience. Went on line and reserved a room at the Four Seasons for the next three nights.

It is hard to detail all the wonderful experiences but I will try.

-- Upon check-in I was upgraded to a villa with my own pool and indoor/outdoor shower. The room was beautiful and peaceful

-- And then there was the Four Seasons 40th anniversary celebration with the families of the staff, the children dancing and parading. What a wonderful first night that was. And my first experience of the Balinese culture I was to fall in love with.

-- The property is so lovely. I fell in love with the rice fields of Bali and the Sayan property is one large rice field, with workers tending the fields during the day. And water running everywhere. And the river. I cannot overstate the natural beauty of this place.

-- The staff. Wonderful. Attentive. Friendly.

-- The reason for my trip was my birthday. It was a beautiful place to spend my birthday and upon returning from a day at the spa, I found a lovely cake in my room. Understated and thoughtful, although I had not mentioned it was my birthday. They take care of every detail.

It was such a wonderful time, I'm heading back for my birthday next week.

(Although it says below I traveled in April 2011 it was March.)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Bali is wonderful! Staying at the Four Seasons completed this great experience. The amiable staff, the marvelous location, the pool and spa overlooking the river, the programs offered ... PERFECT!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
irvine, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for part of our honeymoon, and I absolutely loved the charm of both the hotel and of Ubud. Since it was our honeymoon, the hotel provided us with a complimentary bottle of wine along with a small cake. I was also constantly impressed with the staff, all of whom seemed to remember our names.

The hotel itself is quite charming. The hotel is a bit older, but I love the dual-level rooms (living room and 1/2 bath upstairs, bedroom and full bath downstairs), the large balcony, and the view of the river below. I also love how you feel like you're in the middle of the jungle - the hotel certainly has that feeling of seclusion.

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Four Seasons Sayan, and the one and only (minor) complaint that I have is with the billing department. My wife and I booked and pre-paid for the hotel through hotels.com. Upon checkout, the only bill I received from the Four Seasons was for (1) one meal at the hotel restaurant, and (2) transportation from the hotel to the airport. However, upon returning home, I learned that my credit card had been inadvertently charged for the cost of our rooms.

Four Seasons worked with me to ensure that I received a refund for this inadvertent charge. However, it took them over a month (and several follow-ups from me) to get my refund. Despite the amount of time that it took to resolve this issue, I did appreciate their helpfulness in getting this matter resolved.

Overall, I was happy with my stay and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here very briefly but the personal touch by the GM of the hotel who took time to introduce herself and take a coffee with me at breakfast.

You know the four seasons are some of the best hotels in the world but these small touches by their senior management and beautiful hotels, location and service is what keeps them at the top of the charts.

Well done 4 seasons and thanks you to the GM she's the star in the crown jewels that is undisputed

• Stayed February 2012
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed 3 Nights and worth every penny of it (you would need a lot of it :)) Very quiet and peaceful. Staff were very friendly and attentive. On our arrival in Bali our bags were unfortunately delayed by the airline and we had to travel to Sayan with the clothes on our back. At the security checkpoint at the Resort the guard was inquiring about our lack of luggage and we told him what had happened. While checking-in the Asst Manager came out with emergency clothing! Most of the staff addressed you by name. The Spa was excellent! Will make an effort to visit the Resort again in the future !

Room Tip: If choosing a Villa (with private pool) try the river villas. The sound of the Ayung river is soothi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Stayed at the FS Sayan for four nights and thought we would use it to explore the northern part of Bali. However, it was hard to leave the hotel for a whole day. It is smallish but the location is a ten minute cab ride to Ubud which has lots of restaurant choices as well as some excellent art galleries in the area. Signed up for a day as a "Balinese Farmer" which was expensive but it is at the Four Seasons so nothing was cheap but it was fantastic. It started with Lillie guiding for about a two hour walk down through the rice fields and across a plank bridge to a water fall and then up a hill to a small village ending up a breakfast location overlooking a rice field. After that we were lead back to the FS where we were given instructions on whole to prepare a rice field and give a pair of rubber boots to get active. I am sure they had to re-plant the sections my wife and I attempted but it was great fun. Now we were escorted to the Spa where a shower and soak in a bath tub lead to a scrub with river rocks to clean away the mud, followed by an outstanding massage. Our clothes were a little muddy but when it was time to change, all of our clothes had been washed, even our sneakers. Lastly we were taken to a bale by the river and we presented with a beautiful lunch in our sparkling clothes. Great fun but expensive but you get a lot for your investment.

Wine is expensive in Bali so a $15/bottle in Toronto is sold a wine store for $45 and at the FS restaurant the markup takes it well over $100. Wine is a little cheaper in the Ubud restaurants but might be a great time to have a bottle of their local beer, Bintang.

There are cheaper hotels options in the Ubud area but don't miss the FS Sayan!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan? Share your experiences!