“The Jolly Beast Feast Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
York, United Kingdom
“The Jolly Beast Feast Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our visit to the Jolly Farmers Beast Feast (10 course Game Tasting Menu) recently was an experience that was eagerly anticipated and turned out to be way beyond our expectation. It was a gourmet experience that would have put many a 'Fine Dining' establishment to shame. We knew the food would be good but when our first taste of the game terrine arrived it was clear many treats were to follow. They included delicious crispy rabbit 'koftas' with prunes, Venison tartare with chocolate - divine, crispy duck and potato salad presented beautifully and with great flare - not a boiled potato or drop of mayonnaise in sight! All in all we had 8 savoury tasters and 2 puddings - the humble parsnip transformed into an ice cream Heston B would have been proud to call his own. Having recently visited a famous Michelin starred restaurant in the area our unanimous conclusion was that the Beast Feast was by far the better nay fantastic food experience which should have the more well known establishments quaking in their 'Starry Boots'. Well done everyone - a great experience we would like to repeat asap!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Malton, United Kingdom
“Superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

As this pub is my local, I've chosen, up to now, not to submit a review but a recent dining experience just has to be praised. I had the pleasure of enjoying what Dan at the Jolly Farmers called ‘The Beat Feast’. It was a ten course taster menu of game dishes and what a superb meal it was. Dan and Matt did a fantastic job in creating some stunning food, beautifully presented and of the highest quality. The waiting staff, Beth and Emma, did a great job of looking after everyone too. Great atmosphere, exceptional food and fantastic value. If Dan should repeat it, it’s a fine dining experience not to be missed and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Visited January 2013
danfYork, Owner at Jolly Farmers, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you Weegie, really glad you enjoyed the evening. It was great fun seeing everyone's responses to the different dishes. It seems a good time was had by all, staff included!
“'Worth that extra mile'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've never actually written a review on here before but having just visited this fantastic little find I found the will to open the laptop and give it a go. What can I say - its FANTASTIC!! Although off the beaten track you finally arrive at a very warm welcoming, nestled in the countryside you are greeted by an open fire, friendly staff and locals! Our jack Russell loves it. The menus is well priced and the Sunday lunch is to die for - coming from a farmers daughter it's the best British beef I've tasted and will certainly be calling in again very soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“This is one of my favorite pubs in Yorkshire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have visited many times over the last few years and is first choice for Sunday Lunch. While there are many good food pubs in Yorkshire I think the atmosphere of the Jolly Farmers is excellent and certainly better than many I have visited

After a long walk, a few pints and a hearty meal where could be better!

• Visited December 2012
danfYork, Owner at Jolly Farmers, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you. It's one of my favorite pubs too!! :)
York, United Kingdom
“We'll definitely be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We popped in for lunch on the Sunday before Christmas whilst visiting family. I cannot recommend this great little pub highly enough...... The Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding was sensational, I think its the best Sunday lunch I have ever had in a pub - just top class!

10 out of 10 for this pub - great atmosphere with a nice fire, welcoming staff and the locals having a laugh, with one or two having their (well behaved) dogs in the bar after lunch - that's what I call a proper pub!

We will defintiely be back - soon!

• Visited December 2012
danfYork, Owner at Jolly Farmers, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thanks for the great review Jen.Thats just how I think a village, country pub should be!