“Charming @ Romantic” 5 of 5 stars

Victoriano Hernando, 44, 40532 Aldeanueva de la Serrezuela, Spain   |
Estepona, Spain
“Charming @ Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hosts Mariano and his mother run this establishment as a family operation.
After two years, we returned to make another performance check, which was passed with great excellence. The enthusiasm and hospitality is heart-warming!
Located in a small village about 12 KMs sideways from the A1, Madrid – Burgos at exit approx. 130 KM another world is opened. The hotel accommodation meets modern standards in a romantic a characterful way. The restaurant is famous for its original Spanish cuisine. Highly recommended as before.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Fife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Looking for a spot to break our journey from the South of Spain enroute to Santander my wife chose this little mountian village above the Ribera Del Duero with aim of collecting some wine before the final leg to the ferry. We booked 2 nights to allow one day for visiting Bodegas and wine purchasing. As others have said the restoration of the building is amazing and the welcome was just as amazing. We had the 8 pm visit to the wine cellar and apart from the wine tasting we had a great time with the story telling. We were the only 2 guests on the first night but there was a huge log fire in the restaurant and every table was laid as if expecting a wedding party. The food was excellent as was the wine during the meal. The family were so friendly and happy to have guests and could not do enough to make our stay so good. I would strongly recommend this hotel as a stop over for anyone doing the long Haul between the ferry ports and the South of Spain.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwen, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Firstly let me say I am not given to writing reviews and in fact this is the first I have written (I spend at on average 2 nights a week in hotels so you can see this is a unique thing to do!) however this place is special. The location is about 10 km from the A1 to Burgos-Madrid but feels a hundred. It is in a lovely countryside location in a small hamlet of approx. 30 inhabitants. The building has been very sensitively restored by the owners and every aspect of your stay has been very well thought out even down to whirlpool baths. There is a free bottle of wine in the room (didn’t last long!) and the room was large and comfortable. The attention to detail is excellent and I stayed on the 25/01/2013 so it was cold outside but the room was lovely and warm as was the rest of the hotel even though I was the only staying that night. On arrival nothing was too much trouble and I was invited to a wine tasting in the hotel cellar at 8-00 pm. I duly turned up and was escorted down candle lit cellar steps to a small tasting area cut out of the rock approx. 10m below the ground floor. There were 4 bottles of wine a couple of whites a red and a Rose and also a plate of lovely croquettes, all wines were tasted more than once and I am sure we would have finished all of the bottles if I had not been so hungry for my dinner. Along with the wine tasting the I was given a very informative description of the house and its restoration. I eventually persuaded my new friend to let me go to dinner in the restaurant across the court yard. I was shown into a beautiful restaurant with a roaring log fire and every table was very carefully laid (only me there remember). The full menu was available and I chose to have lamb chops (excellent by the way) I also asked if I could sit in the bar as I didn’t want to eat in the restaurant on my own, again this was no trouble and I was moved into the bar area next to another roaring fire. After eating I was plied with a free drink and invited to join in with the family and a couple of locals around the bar, I can speak a little Spanish but they were very careful to include me in their conversations as one of them could speak a little English. The whole night was excellent and made me feel very welcome. I only stayed the one night on my way to the ferry in Bilbao but as I make this trip every couple of months I will become a regular at this hotel. As I said earlier I am not a review writer but if you stay here you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bruntal, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have just come back from a trip across Spain during which I stayed one night in this establishment. How much I regret I didnt plan more trips in this area so we would stay there for longer! Since this simply is a special place. The owners have reconstrued the posada which was in ruins with their own hands and they invest their all heart. The result is simply perfect. Aldenanueva de la Serrezuela is a very very tiny village in the middle of nature, about ten kilometres of the autovia Madrid . Burgos. In the village, there is basically nothing but the nature, lovely narrow asphalt roads for cycling or running, in fall you may go mushroom picking. You can rest and perceive the piece and quiet and the nature. You may enjoy the great cuisine in the restaurant, offering local treats such as cochinillo, or tapas such as rulo de cabra or bravas. You travel around in Ribera del Duero and taste wines for several days. UNESCO listed town of Segovia is about 90 mins away, amazing Parque Natural de Hoces de Rio Duraton with rocky river cliffs and plenty of eagles to be observed, which is strongly recommend, and amazing historic little town of Sepulveda are within 25 kms away. Barajas airport within an hours reach. Soria, the region of Rueda white wines, really excellent one, and of truffes, is about an hour driving far.

Now to the house itself. The furnishing of the whole house is just stunning. Cozy. And everything is perfect. You may sit by the fireplace and read a book or place desk games. And the rooms...the house is extremely romantic. The bedrooms have huge beds and so have all whirpool tubs where two would fit easily. I can very easily imagine a romantic getaway over there. Or I can imagine coming there with active burn-out syndrom, when feeling really exhausted, to put myself together again. Or to write a book.

A complimentary bottle of excelent Ribera del Duero awaited us in the room. Later, me and my friend were invited to wine tasting in a tiny cellar under the house about which a very interesting history has been told us.

The breakfast was rich and included any thinkable goody. And if you found anything missing, for sure the owners would be ready to prepare it for you.

It is amazing place.I came across the posada on Booking.com and based on the extremely enthusiastic reviews I replanned the trip to be able to come there for the one night. Now I am already planning how to come back there. I am lacking words how to recommend that place. it is a gem.

Room Tip: Each room is different and I would bet each is perfect. Our room was really astonishing in reality...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Preciosa y acogedora casa rural, decorada con personalidad y buen gusto. Un lugar estratégico desde el que recorrer Segovia y Soria y luego descansar en compañía de sus dueños que hacen de su casa tu hogar por unas horas o días. El ambiente es increíble y el trato cercano y familiar. Las habitaciones son cómodas, amplias y equipadas con todo detalle, las zonas comunes tienen todo tipo de entretenimientos para poder descansar y no salir de la casa. Como valor añadido ofrecen una visita a su bodega, instalada en una planta inferior, donde Mariano te invita a tomar un buen vino mientras te cuenta la historia de la casa. La cena espectacular en el restaurante que tienen junto a la casa y el desayuno súper completo te prepara para recorrer las frías tierras castellanas. Sin duda para volver y repetir, un gran descubrimiento!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Estepona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

This Hotel is unique in treatment, superb personal attention, ambience with an excellent cuisine restaurant included. Its only 10KM away from the A1 Madrid - Burgos exit 130 KM Carabias.
One arrives in another world, a small village with only 40 odd inhabitants. The owner Mariano is an excellent host, very informative and polite. No detail is omitted to make feel the guest like a King. The building recently renovated by the family finds its origine in the 18th century. It was abandoned for 40 years and over the last 7 years renovated in its original style. Very seldom one experience such an ambience, style and service. A real eye-opener. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and in style.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to El Senorio De La Serrezuela? Share your experiences!