“Uncomfortable beds and in need of renovations” 3 of 5 stars

St. Mary's River Lodge
21 Main Street, Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia B0J 3C0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Sherbrooke B&B and Inns
Westmount, Quebec, Canada
“Uncomfortable beds and in need of renovations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Driving up the coast of Nova Scotia, this seemed like a place to stop for the evening. I arrived late due to bad timing on my part. I had registered ahead of time so I was expected. My friend and I were the only guests at the lodge that evening. We were warmly welcomed. I had eaten at a restaurant about 30 minutes away as I had been told that the restaurants in Sherbrooke closed at 7pm.

I have to say out of all the places I have stayed at over the last week or so, this was the worst. The room was small and smelled of mildew. There were 2 single beds in the room and they were so close together I could reach over and touch the other bed while laying down in mine. The mattresses were soft and lumpy. It felt like there was no box spring under the thin mattress. Is was very uncomfortable. The room is in desperate need of a renovation. Only the bathroom seemed to have been recently modernized. Thankfully I arrived late and was leaving early. I could not wait to get out of the room. There was also only one tiny table in the corner. Power outlets were far away so it was difficult to plug in a laptop and sit down at the tiny table. Thankfully I had an extension cord with me that we could use.

I went out for a late night walk just so I would not have to be in the room any longer than necessary.

Breakfast in the morning was good as as the service.

As a whole, the service was great, but the accommodations certainly could use a lot of sprucing up. Basically the beds are in dire need of an upgrade if nothing else. I woke up sore and stiff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Epsom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The room we had was very comfortable. The breakfast we had was very good. the owners were very welcoming making us cups of coffee on our arrival.The lodge was very well situated for visiting Sherbrooke Village.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

A pleasant little B&B in the middle of main street. A little neglected it could do with a bit of modernisation, but was otherwise clean and comfortable. We stayed in Room 1 and it seemed to be the oldest and most in need of attention because we compared it to Nos 2, 3 and 4 (the doors were open) and they looked much better. The beds were unconfortable and there was a very musty smell coming from the old dressing unit in the corner, Our host was a very pleasant man of Swiss origin and the breakfast he provided was excellent. The swiss music he had on the CD player at breakfast was also very enjoyable. No tea & coffee service in the room but we brought some in from the cafe next door. We parked across the road as parking was very limited right outside the door. Sherbrooke is okay for a quick visit to see the historic site but not worth staying in because there is nothing to do in the evening and all the restaurants close by 7.00pm.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms 2, 3 or 4. Avoid room 1 as it needs updating and the beds are uncomfortable
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Contrary to previous reviewer we loved it here and thought it was the best value for money. Our room was clean comfortable and quaint. Breakfast was tasty enough. We wish we'd had drink making facilities in our room though as we arrived too late in Sherbrooke to eat in a restaurant but did manage takeout from next door. A good place to stay especially if you are on a budget and we loved it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Perhaps we were jaded from staying in a series of Victorian mansions, but the room at the St. Mary's River Lodge was more like the old "modern cabins" along the road in days gone by--not rustic, but cheap and basic. The furnishings, bedding and woodwork were cheap. The flimsy door had no security (although not a problem in an obviously low crime area). The key chain was a big chunk of birch log. The public area were cluttered with a mish mash of furnishings. The pillow was flat and bed hard. The room was a good size, with a couch (very uncomfortable). There was no AC or fan, but luckily the weather was not summery. Breakfast was good, and it was a very quiet setting, right in the Sherbrooke historic village. We arrived kind of late, and were barely able to find a place to eat before they rolled up the street at 8 on a Saturday night. I don't know how Canada Select gave this B&B 3.5 stars. I would honestly say 2 would be more realistic. For 3.5 you get the outstanding Rossmount Inn at St. Andrews by the Sea, New Brunswick, or the Waverly Inn in Halifax. No comparison!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

When we read the reviews,most people said to stay at the house across the river so we did, and we were happy. The room we had was a very large room with a table and chairs and kichenette at one end. One day we looked out the window and right into the eyes of a deer! You do need to drive to the lodge for breakfast, but we did not find that inconvenient. The breakfasts were good with eggs and ham one day and eggs and sausage another (and of course, toast,juice,and coffee) It was a really nice, comfortable place to stay for a few days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
watford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We decided to break our journey from Louisberg to Halifax at Sherbrooke in order to visit the historic village and we were not disappointed. we were a little suspicious initially when we were told that they were not doing breakfast in the morning and we had money given back so that we could go to the local hostelry. However it turned out that the lady who did breakfast had a family crisis and we were given a generous amount of money back. The room although small, was beautiful with great furniture and very comfortable beds. I needed to get onto the internet the evening we arrived so I went to the main house, met up with the owner again and got on line. Meanwhile he made me the best cup of coffee I had in the whole of Nova Scotia. This is a great place from which to visit the wonderful historic village

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to St. Mary's River Lodge? Share your experiences!