“well worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nunney
London, England, United Kingdom
“well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

stayed for 3 nights early dec. warm and friendly welcome and clean and comfortable room with views of the castle and church .. the breakfasts could not be faulted and had everything you could want . evening meals were outstanding and the service excellent . all in all a place worth visiting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here overight after a long day scuba diving. We had a lovely, friendly welcome from the hotel manager, and were shown up to our room. Our room was lovely; cosy, comfortable, clean (a couple of cobwebs, but hey, it's in the countryside), very rustic and quaint and the facillities were excellent. The lovely hotel owner offered to put some of my wet diving kit in the hotel tumble drier, which was really lovely of her. The shower/bathoom facillities were lovely, nice soaps provided and nice, clean fluffy towels. We ate in the pub downstairs, and the food was OUTSTANDING!!! We only wish that we could have left enough room for dessert :) We both had an excellet nights sleep in a very comfortable bed, with nice, clean bedding, but unfortunately, as we had to leave so early, we didn't get to have the hotel breakfast, which we were both a little sad about- judging from the fantastic food we had the night before, I am sure the breakfast would have been lovely too. There was enough tea, coffee, milk and sugar provided in our room that we could have a cup if tea on arrival, and two more each before we left. The ruins across the road gives a lovely view, but unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to explore. Overall, a lovely stay, and we will be sure to use The George at Nunney again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TDA_rep, Owner at The George at Nunney, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your very kind review. It was our pleasure having you stay with us, and I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Al of us here at The George hope to see you again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Family meal for four on a Saturday evening

OUTSTANDING quality of food & excellent service

This is the best meal I have ever had in & around Frome, after a great many disappointments

Simple short menu, very well delivered

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. We've strived hard since taking over the George in April to make it the best eating place in and around Frome, so I'm very happy to hear you think we have reached that goal!

All of us at The George look forward to seeing you again soon.
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently paid my second visit to this lovely pub/hotel. My daughter has just moved to the area and she treated my husband and I plus her partners parents to dinner. It was a lovely relaxed evening with superb food. The service was excellent and there was a good choice of courses. We would definitely return as we love the ambience of the George and were made to feel ver welcome.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The George. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your meal with us, and especially that you love the new ambience we've created here. Its quite unique for the area, and so we took risks in doing what we did, but its paying off, and reviews like yours confirm that.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here on a Saturday night with my girlfriend whilst visiting Wincanton racecourse before in the afternoon. The bar and restaurant area is intimate and stylish with comfy leather sofa's and soft lighting and of good condition. Our room was snug, cosy and well decorated with the bathroom being clean with hot running water and a good size bath. We enjoyed and had no complaints with our evening meal and again the same with our full English breakfast. The staff were fantastic offering friendly helpful service with a smile. We would definitely return and t thoroughly recommend.

Dorset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'd like to be able to tell you about the food. And I'd like to be able to tell you about the atmosphere. But I can't tell you about either. We visited Nunney today and intended to have a small meal in the The George. On arrival, my husband told the woman behind the bar that we would be ordering food, but her immediate response was to inform us that there would be a very long wait. This inn has a lot of tables but we couldn't see any more than about 15 people or so sitting around. There were far more empty tables than customers. So I asked how long could we realistically expect to wait....she didn't exactly give us a straight answer but instead mumbled about having one x table of 5 people waiting and one x table of 6 people waiting. Okay, I'm no Carol Vorderman but even I can calculate that that's a grand total of 11 people.....which is not very many. When I asked whether even sandwiches would be a long wait, she sniffily replied that they 'don't do sandwiches' and pointed us towards a cafe elsewhere in Nunney.

I can see from a previous review that a long wait seems to be par for the course here, so perhaps they need to rethink their kitchen staff. And I find it extraordinary that they would allow business to drift away.....but right from the off the woman behind the bar seemed to want to deliberately put us off. And to send us away to another establishment strikes me as business suicide. Though I have to say they probably did us a favour because the cafe was brilliant.

It's a lovely old inn with a lot of history but I have my doubts that the current owners will be making much of an impression in the inn's history unless they pull their finger out and aim to please rather than aim to deter.

Poor attitude, poor business acumen.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TDA_rep, Owner at The George at Nunney, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The George and as the owner I'm very sorry to hear you weren't happy with the service you received,

I was not present yesterday at lunch so cannot comment directly, but I have spoken to the young lady you spoke to, and was informed we were heavily pre-booked for the early part of service yesterday.

So although it may have not looked too busy when you arrived there was the imminent arrival of several big parties who had pre-booked and pre-ordered also so the kitchen was busy with their orders already, which is why she said there may have been a delay for your order to arrive.

Usually when we’re busy, we suggest to customers to sit down and relax, have a drink, read the menu’s and we will get you served as soon as possible (usually 15-20 mins on a busy day or night). From what I understand, you wanted to eat right away, and it was for that reason she suggested the café down the road instead.

I understand that this may have seemed like we are turning customers away but actually we're just trying to make sure everyone is happy with there experience with us. If you look at our other reviews you will see that we seem to be achieving that, but of course there is always room for improvement also, and I will look at this case in detail to find out why you went away unhappy enough to write about it.

I would welcome an opportunity to rectify the situation so if you would ever like to come and visit us again, please ask for me, I'm Gordon the owner, and I'll ensure you have a free drink on the house.

Thanks again for taking to let us know about your experience with us. It helps us improve which we are always striving to do.

Gordon
The George at Nunney
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Visited The George at Nunny for a weekend away with my husband and 3 month old baby.
Fantastic setting, friendly and warm atmosphere, wonderful clean modern decor, staff were extremely friendly and attentive at all times accomodating us with our young baby.
Rooms were spacious, bright and well equiped.
Food was the highlight as we dined at the hotel for our evening meal and breakfast.
Highly highly recommend this restaurant and hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The George at Nunney? Share your experiences!