“Sea and serinity” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa

You added Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Passekudah Bay | Hotel Road, Passekudah, Kalkudah, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kalkudah
Kandy, Sri Lanka
“Sea and serinity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The two of us went to Maalu Maalu, full board, for 2 nights, in this June. We drove from Kandy, and the direction to the Hotel was easy to find. The navigator was a help. But the last 1 km was a bit confusing - even the navigator failed. Road was good, the drive was fast and smooth ( look out for traffic cops ! ) and gives you the typical Sri Lankan dry land experience, and we went when the dry season was at it's highest,

Typical unimpressive resort hotel reception. It becomes obvious that the staff is new to the hospitality trade. Checking in took a slightely longer, but waiting at the lounge looking at the beautiful blue sea , took away all the annoyance and travel weariness.

The room was average. A bit let down compared to the price you paid for it. A wash room maybe a too large but definitely a new experience. Finding a place to keep your luggage and to hang your clothes and keep your shoes was a bit of a puzzle.

Food, lunch was super. No complaints.

The evening was heavenly. Sea, sea, and more sea. Beautiful sunset. You get into this perfect "idle mode" , and get absorbed into the lazyness and the calm of the sea.
The sunset was breathtaking.

The dinner again was tasty, with a lot of choices. I missed the prawns, maybe , not the season. In the resturant, in the night, mind the glass partition. While walking with a plate, looking for more exiting-looking spreads, its easy to walk into the glass, well I did ( fortunately, no harm done )

Desserts were simply out of this world. Probably they got a super pastry chef with a lot of creativity, and good luck to him.

The sleep was undisturbed, peaceful, and comfy.

Morning was heavenly, After a swim in the calm sea, if you want a dip in the pool, you'll be dissapointed. Even though they promise to open the pool at 7 am, it's not ready till 9 or so. A big dissappointment, if you are planning to burn off the hugh load of calories you collected previous night.

If you want a little excitement, try out the jet skeir, glass bottom boat trip and snokerling. Baticoloa town is just a hour away, and you can visit the light house, and for 3000 Rs you can have a 3 hour boat ride along the lagoon.

All in all, it was a very refreshing kind of idle holidaying whre you can charge your batteries. The room comforts are not what youd expect for the amount you pay. Even though not experienced, the junior staff and room service was very courteous, friendly and helpful. This helped us to forgive and forget the few shortcomings.

All in all we had a real HOLIDAY. We didnt DO anything other than sea-food, sea , food, and rest. I didn't even open my gadgets to browse the net because I didn't feel the need for it. You feel so relaxed , you even feel like talking softly. We didnt see anybody with loud behaviour or dancing even though their was a Calypso band playing in the beach BBQ. This is just my kind of peace.

Would I go there again ? Probably not, at this price. I think I got the feel and the soul of the place once and for all.

Would I recommend this this to you, yes, if you are my age, in fifties, if you really need a peaceful holiday away from everything, this will be a good place for you to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanjaya B, Director of Sales at Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I would like to thank the reviewer for choosing Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa for their holiday &
many thanks as well as for this review posted on Trip Advisor.

We are glad that your stay with us was up to your satisfaction, except for the two minor set backs
and thanks for bring it to our attention.

wish you all the very best from Maalu Maalu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Wwe have just returned from a wonderful holiday in Sri Lanka during which we spent three days here just relaxing. It is the perfect place to do it - a hotel simply but cleverly designed with such a chilled and accommodating atmosphere. The pool area was stunning and to step from your room onto the sand just perfect. I've read some of the comments here on the size of the rooms - we loved ours and why would you want to sit in your room when the Indian Ocean is outside your door? Having said that I think it's a location for when the sun shines and probably not best enjoyed during monsoon!
The food was excellent with a good choice and flexibility with menus. The hotel was well managed but I have to single out the young local staff for special praise. Without exception they were helpful, sincere and delighted to do anything to increase our enjoyment. I suspect a lot could be learned elsewhere from the Sri Lankan hospitality industry

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanjaya B, Director of Sales at Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I would like to thank the reviewers for choosing Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa for their holiday &
many thanks as well as for this lovely review posted on Trip Advisor.

as you said correctly , our exact purposes to make the rooms simple was to encourage our gusts to spend time at the beach & the ocean, I'm glad to notice that you enjoyed this concept.

I have sent your regards & praise to our staff , im sure this will boost their spirits & to keep up the excellent service to our guests , we are very lucky to have the local staff working with us at Maalu Maalu.

We are glad that your stay with us was up to your satisfaction

Newark, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Lovely holiday. Very warm welcome and welcoming staff. Very clean rooms and had a great time enjoying the beach, pool and the spa. There was room to improve the disco which was non existent . Will definetly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sanjaya B, Director of Sales at Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I would like to thank the reviewer for choosing Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa for their Holiday,
Many thanks as well as for this lovely review posted on Trip advisor.

We are glad that your stay with us was up to your satisfaction

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just came back from Malu Malu and had a fantastic time!
The resort is lovely with a big pool and lots of open spaces. We were welcomed into the resort by hotel staff with a cool towel and a refreshing tamarind sorbet! This was very welcomed after the long drive from Colombo. Our rooms were promptly allocated to us and bags bought in speedily.
I was not too fond of the rooms. Rooms are very small and had no windows that overlooked the wonderful beach and sea!
If you are looking for luxury in a hotel room.. this place is not for you. But if you want a holiday with a fantastic pool and beach then you will enjoy Malu Malu. The beds and pillows too were of average quality. My biggest problem was the lack of a sea view from inside the room!
The bathrooms were bigger than the bed rooms and were very nice and spacious. Our rooms had a small private pool shared by 4 attached villas which was great if you want to get away from the blistering sun and avoid the crowd of the main pool!
The water in the sea was warm even at 6am! Perfect time to take a dip and catch the sun rise.
The food at the resort was very good. There was always a Sri Lankan corner (beware that Batticola food is spicy!) that was very tasty and had plenty of sea food. The western dishes were not too bad but could have been better!!
Desserts selection was very good and tasted great!
Hotel could improve the vegetarian selection for meals a little bit more.
We had no complains in regard to the service provided by the staff.. They were very obliging.
The pool area could use a little bit more shade, there is hardly any greenery around.
This hotel is very charming and very different to the concrete block hotels that you usually see!

Room Tip: Don't pay more for attic rooms unless you have children as the room view is the same.. which is...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks as well as for this nice review posted on Trip advisor.

As you mentioned about the room being less luxurious thought of explain the same , the concept of the hotel is to give very simple yet a charming holiday to & make our guests minds at ease as possible that's why we keep the room very simple and not too sophisticated .The idea of not having big windows with sea view is that to promote our gust to come out of the room spend more time in the terrace or the balcony and enjoying the view.Hope this will clear any doubts on the room,

We are glad that your stay with us & every thing was up to your satisfaction

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were travelling from Trincomalee to Batticoloa and stopped here for lunch. We had the buffet lunch which included a delicious crab curry. By taking the buffet lunch we were entitled to swim in the pool. We also walked onto the beach and swam in the sea ( Passekudah Bay.)This is a wonderful beach, with white sand, clear warm water with gentle waves. The hotel is new, and I agree there is a lack of shade. Also the property feels a little overdeveloped and the reception area is very small and felt crowded. We did not stay here, it was merely a lunch break and it was ideal for that.

This area is an up and coming tourist destination with many new hotels being built.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel is very beautiful and in an idylic location. We had a panoramic suite which was decorated in a simple but stylish way. The bathrooms are large with a jacuzzi bath and quite luxurious. One pet hate of mine is refillable toiletries - I know it is more eco friendly but its not really a 5* experience. We had a private - ish pool which is shared with 3 other suites and a private - ish dining deck shared with one other suite. We were glad of this as the hotel was full - mainly with local very extended families who were celebrating (loudly) the end of Ramadan.The food really let the hotel down - during full occupancy the restaurant only offers a buffet option - which I hate. It felt like dining in a school canteen or motorway service station and the food was as bad! Please Maalu Maalu if you want to compete on the 5* stage you need a proper restaurant! We opted out a couple of times and dined on our deck. The a la carte food was excellent (so the chef is more than capable) but the menu had only 2 options and didn't change all week. The service too need some attention. I understand that the staff have been recruited from the local people (which is right and proper) but whislt they are really friendly they have not been well trained (with ethe exception of the middle managers - Arjuna and his collegues). One exception is housekeping - excellent - well done! Drinks are not offered around the pool side and if you were sun bathing on the beach and wanted a drink you had to walk back to the bar to get one - maybe I am lazy but having stayed in some of the best hotels (Four Seasons, Zoetry, Oberoi) I am used to being pampered. One last comment - despite arriving at 3pm our room was not ready - were asked if we would like a drink whilst we waited and then we were asked to pay for it! Could be a fantastic 5* hotelw with a bit of work!

Room Tip: Panoramic suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sanjaya B, Director of Sales at Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback for improvement.

Wish to clarify one points as this should have been because of miscommunication
• The guests have the at our resort have the option of the buffet or set menu ,
which I think was not communicated to you by our staff properly ,
my humble apologies for this

Im happy to bring to your notice that your review helped us on improving standards & we have already addressed most
of the areas you have pointed out which we have corrected it already.
Improvements made
• The beverage orders are taken on the pool side where our guest do not have to walk to the pool bar anymore,
• we already had a plan to discontinue the refillable toiletries which we will now change urgently ,

also I have forwarded your comment of good work to the middle management & Housekeeping staff,
which im sure boost their moral to continue the good work

We are glad even with the minor issues , that your stay with us was up to your satisfaction

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

What I love most about Maalu Maalu is the eco friendly structure. Really tired of concrete beach hotels & the moment I saw the pictures I knew this has to be a part of my next vacation. I was not disappointed. Lovely just as the pictures.

Though we booked a delux room, upon arrival seeing my two kids we were upgraded to a room with an attic. What a wonderful surprise! we really appriciate it. The main room is small but love the bathroom with the glass brick wall rain shower. kids enjoyed the bar doors. Nice tub & the seashell containers are a lovely touch.

Lovely out door furniture on the balcony. The water container with the long coconut spoon at the entrance to the stairs is a lovely idea so that no sand comes in to the room & again a beautiful eco touch with things made from natural things.

Food was fine. Would love if there were more vegetarian options but then again I did not inform them in advance therefore cannot comment whether that would have made a difference. Love the fans placed in the restaurant that spray off a light cloud of water! what a thoughtful idea as the temprature does rise high in the east coast.

Staff is lovely & helpfull.

Lovely pool with tiny stars at the bottom that light up in different colours in the night. Quite romantic. Boat bar is lovely too.

The interior of the room could have been nicer but a great step away from concrete.

Medium grain sand. Peaceful beach no one to disturb you. Calm sea.... not my favourite but I'm sure there are people who love this kind of calmness.

Wish there were more trees but then again it's very carefully built on a small area so you can always take refuge somewhere.

Room Tip: I always go up as the room has better view & it is so true here as the view is beautiful even at...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks as well as for this lovely review posted on Trip advisor.

We are glad that your stay with us was up to your satisfaction & that your kids loved it too.

till then wish you all the very best from Maalu Maalu

Been to Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!