The two of us went to Maalu Maalu, full board, for 2 nights, in this June. We drove from Kandy, and the direction to the Hotel was easy to find. The navigator was a help. But the last 1 km was a bit confusing - even the navigator failed. Road was good, the drive was fast and smooth ( look out for traffic cops ! ) and gives you the typical Sri Lankan dry land experience, and we went when the dry season was at it's highest,
Typical unimpressive resort hotel reception. It becomes obvious that the staff is new to the hospitality trade. Checking in took a slightely longer, but waiting at the lounge looking at the beautiful blue sea , took away all the annoyance and travel weariness.
The room was average. A bit let down compared to the price you paid for it. A wash room maybe a too large but definitely a new experience. Finding a place to keep your luggage and to hang your clothes and keep your shoes was a bit of a puzzle.
Food, lunch was super. No complaints.
The evening was heavenly. Sea, sea, and more sea. Beautiful sunset. You get into this perfect "idle mode" , and get absorbed into the lazyness and the calm of the sea.
The sunset was breathtaking.
The dinner again was tasty, with a lot of choices. I missed the prawns, maybe , not the season. In the resturant, in the night, mind the glass partition. While walking with a plate, looking for more exiting-looking spreads, its easy to walk into the glass, well I did ( fortunately, no harm done )
Desserts were simply out of this world. Probably they got a super pastry chef with a lot of creativity, and good luck to him.
The sleep was undisturbed, peaceful, and comfy.
Morning was heavenly, After a swim in the calm sea, if you want a dip in the pool, you'll be dissapointed. Even though they promise to open the pool at 7 am, it's not ready till 9 or so. A big dissappointment, if you are planning to burn off the hugh load of calories you collected previous night.
If you want a little excitement, try out the jet skeir, glass bottom boat trip and snokerling. Baticoloa town is just a hour away, and you can visit the light house, and for 3000 Rs you can have a 3 hour boat ride along the lagoon.
All in all, it was a very refreshing kind of idle holidaying whre you can charge your batteries. The room comforts are not what youd expect for the amount you pay. Even though not experienced, the junior staff and room service was very courteous, friendly and helpful. This helped us to forgive and forget the few shortcomings.
All in all we had a real HOLIDAY. We didnt DO anything other than sea-food, sea , food, and rest. I didn't even open my gadgets to browse the net because I didn't feel the need for it. You feel so relaxed , you even feel like talking softly. We didnt see anybody with loud behaviour or dancing even though their was a Calypso band playing in the beach BBQ. This is just my kind of peace.
Would I go there again ? Probably not, at this price. I think I got the feel and the soul of the place once and for all.
Would I recommend this this to you, yes, if you are my age, in fifties, if you really need a peaceful holiday away from everything, this will be a good place for you to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maalu Maalu our beach hotel is awaiting you with its services in the beautiful environment of Pasikudha. The hotel offers comfortable 32 Deluxe rooms, 04 Interconnecting Chalets, 08 Rooms with Attics. A swimming pool, a sauna, a massage tub and further services are available for our hotel guests who wish to relax and indulge in Ayurvedic treatments. You can feel endlessly rolling waves reflecting the blue of the sky and tipped with frothy whiteness fill the air with a salty haze that sticks to the skin and fills the ears with sound. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maalu Maalu Resort And Spas
- Maalu Maalu Hotel Kalkudah
- Maalu Maalu Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Kalkudah