“Really a wonderful place for a peaceful contemplative hike.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: National Parks, Parks, State Parks, Hiking Trails, Outdoors
Activities: Mountain biking
More attraction details
Owner description: National park that preserves an area of over 110,000 acres of Redwood rainforest and 50 miles of scenic coastline in Northern California.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Chicago, Illinois
35 attraction reviews
“Really a wonderful place for a peaceful contemplative hike.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I was on a solo California North Coast trip recently and had a chance to spend a full day in Redwood NP. What a beautiful place! I did three shorter hikes and loved each one. Because this park doesn't get near as many tourists as some of the more famous (and more accessible) national parks, you can go on a hike by yourself or with a loved one and not see too many people. The majesty of the redwoods is like a spiritual experience. I put up a web album if you'd like to see photos of Redwood NP and surrounding parks further south, as well. They're at Picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan and the RNP photos are # 127-142.

• Turkish first
California
26 attraction reviews
“Great Hikes and Awe-Inspiring Trees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I'm going to start right off by admitting that I am a National Park junkie! Our family goal is to visit every park, and we already have about 20 done! That being said, Redwoods is a fabulous, highly-accessible experience. We stayed in the southern end for our hiking experiences because we were told it is less crowded, which was very true in August.

We hiked the Trillium Trail at the suggestion of a ranger, and it was one of the best hikes we've done in awhile. We were almost immediately surrounded by an old growth forest that felt like being in a rainforest! It is hard to find a hike to yourself, but this one did it. We were the only ones on the trail. We saw people start before and after us, but had the trail to ourselves.

We also hiked into Fern Canyon which was very different. Be aware that there is a bumpy road into the hike and a pay station for the CA State Park. It takes about 40 minutes to get in and out of the area. You are rewarded with great views and an isolated Northern Calif. beach. Great place to have lunch, and we also saw herds of elk right off the road. The hike is an easy scramble along a creek that is surrounded by walls of hanging ferns. There will be more people on this one, but it is worth the time!

We also joined a ranger walk through the Lady Bird Johnson Grove. This one is very accessible for everyone. Easy trail with only a slight elevation change. The ranger was knowledgeable, and we learned a lot about the trees and environment. This is one of the hikes with a numbered brochure with lots of additional information.

This was one of the parks that truly inspired us with the beauty and majesty of the trees and coastline.

Newark, California
29 attraction reviews
“As tiny me leans against an ancient, giant redwood tree, I feel our soul.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Each time I visit the ancient, giant redwoods, I reconnect with the earth as well. The last time we went we introduced our two youngest grandchildren (7 and 5) to the redwoods. We all loved the experience. They rated it above their Disneyland visit.

Ashland, OR
“Don't miss the Smith River canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

What more could I say about the redwoods. I lived here for much of my youth and became blase', but now I come back and I'm in awe. Anway, when you're done with awe, and if the sun it out, don't miss the Wild and Scenic Smith River. Take 199 just north of Crescent City. The water is cool but awesome. Mile after mile of rapids interspersed with crystalline, emerald swimming holes. A great one is just three miles from the park boundary, east of Hiouchi, where the South Fork road connects with 199. It's call Myrtle Beach. Locals love it. You will too.

Brisbane, Australia
123 attraction reviews
“Simply awsome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

A must visit. These trees are so so huge. Scenery is stunning. If you love nature you will love this national park.