“The worst experience on holiday; ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Las Flores Resort
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Playa Las Flores, El Cuco 11111, El Salvador   |
Ranked #1 of 5 El Cuco B&B and Inns
NYC
“The worst experience on holiday; ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

I went to Las Flores on the reccomendation from a good friend and surfer. To start, we had already experienced crap service from non other than the owner himself via emails. This should have been a red herring right from the start. We arrived San Salvador and were picked up by their transport which by the way coast us 300.00 dollars US round trip!!! What a robbery. We made the journey from the airport to El Cuco (2.5 hours) and truth be told that part of the country is not where you want to be. Anyway we got to the hotel and it was a dump. Dirty, unkempt, litter all over the place and poorly staffed. We were given a room with a view that was impeded by the rooftop of the main building with a satellite dish on it. We asked if we could be moved to another room and were told "NO" right from the start because this was the one that was "programado", a word used often at Las Flores. Basically means "you get what you get so get over it". Now if the place had been full I would understand but get this, it was empty! We were the only ones there save the skeleton staff and the ill trained manager partner Rodrigo and yet they didn't want to let us move to a room with a better deal. My blood was starting to boil and it was only day one of a scheduled and reserved 5 day romantic getaway with my wife. The food was awful, excuse me (with capital letters) A W F U L!!! What made it even worse was the fact that dinner had to be decided by 12 PM and it was served at 7 pm sharp on your table whether you were there or not. I was getting dressed at 7:03 when the phone in the room rang to tell me that the meal was literally being set on the table!!! What the hell??? Did I mention that there was no Yoga instructor on premise as advertised, no surf instructor save an older, overweight and unfit and certainly not a surfer who came after we made a stink to just go out with my wife and show her the spots and she an intermediate surfer was a way more competant surfer than he. Problem was too that there were no waves. I am a world traveler. I have been doing 8-9 international trips per year for the last 20 years. Wednesday I leave for Brasil and I must say this was my worst experience ever. I checked out after a day and a half and luckily as always my wife was armed with her local book by Frommer's and we stumbled upon a great two places in El Salvador which I will be writing positive reviews about: Casa de Mar (awesome surf point) and La Cocotera both cheaper and both 1000 per cent better. Oh and by the way my r/t transportation by La Cocotera (2 1/4 hours from airport and back: 50.00 vs 300.00 for Las Flores. Note: i had to fight to not get charged the 3 nights i cancelled. Do yourselves a favor STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Santa Tecla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Went for a 3 day / 2 night getaway with my husband to celebrate his birthday. Check in was very quick. Staff very friendly. Our rooms were on the first floor, but since it is all in elevation we had an a amazing view of the beach right from our deck. The deck itself is shared with all other rooms, but is very large and spacious. The pools - one normal and one jacuzzi - are great!
The restaurant is almost too good to be true! Beachfront, small but spacious and with AMAZING food!

Other cool stuff:
- Amazing beach - very long and quiet. Nice sights nearby such as the intricate sand patterns of the beach itself (mix of white and black sand that looks like a tigers stripes), lots and lots of seashells and small conches, large houses that overlook the ocean, etc. Don´t forget you sandals - VERY hot sand!
- Common space next to bar has large plasma TV and pool table. Large variety of prepared drinks and coctails to chose from.
- Hammock deck with sun cover directly in front of the beach - Great for reading and relaxing!
- Massages available!
- Surf board rental and surf lessons available!
- 3 boats that take you to surf at "punta mango" (world known for it´s great waves) - TOTALLY WORTH IT!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Las Flores Resort? Share your experiences!