“Not worth the price!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Sohna Resort and Spa

You added Westin Sohna Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Westin Sohna Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vatika Complex, P.O. Box Dhaula, Karanki Road | Sohna-Gurgaon, Sohna 122103, India   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sohna
New Delhi, India
“Not worth the price!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed the weekend at the Westin Sohna. It wasn’t the luxurious spa getaway we envisioned.

1. Our room wasn’t cleaned till we pointed it out, subsequently it was cleaned on the 29th evening. And no, there was no “Do not disturb” tag hung outside our door

2. We were shocked to find dirty cutlery (not used by us) in our room and at the “living room”. Even the copper cups had tea stains on them. It was pointed out to the manager present.

3. Our bathroom was full of ants.

4. The pool water was murky, had insects...

5. We were appalled to find out that the steam and Jacuzzi were chargable. No high end resort does that.

6. The express service was just lip service. We had to repeatedly ask/ remind before they delivered newspapers, had to repeatedly ask them to get some stuff from our car. First they couldn’t find our car keys, then they found the wrong car, and finally our car, after calling us a few times in the room.

We'd have paid the same at resorts like the Trident, Gurgaon or the Rajvillas at Jaipur, and would have been throughly pampered.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
derrick_gooch, Manager at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
Dear Ms. Halwasiya,

Thank you for posting you feedback on tripadvisor as well as writing to me personally. In which I personally responded to you in an earlier email. I hope you find that satisfactory.

At the onset I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us on 28th May’10 and I appreciate your sincere feedback.

Here at Westin we would like our guest to relax and have a renewing experience and unfortunately we could not provide you the same as expected. I have investigated all concerned areas thoroughly and have taken this up very seriously with my team.

We have ongoing training and your valuable feedback would help us to enhance our guest experience.

Derrick Gooch
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Great resort, wonderful huge rooms, wow bathroom but roads leading to Sohna from Delhi do not exist and hence getting there takes close to 2 hours from airport

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
derrick_gooch, hotel manager at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
dear busitravel,

thank you for your recent comment on tripadvisor.

we are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Westin Sohna Resort & Spa.

The roads are a work in progress but they are slowly improving and once completed I am sure they will be a delight to drive on!

we look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon.

if you should have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at derrick.gooch@westin.com.

New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

The Westin Spa at Gurgaon is overrated and has a long way to go to match up to the kind of service we get at a Taj or Oberoi or Hyatt property. We stayed there for 2 nights and 2 days over the weekend and were disappointed at every step.
Firstly, the hotel has not bothered to upgrade at least one of the roads approaching it. If you call the hotel for directions they kindly inform you which is the least broken road to take. And this is talking of the the last 2 km before you reach the hotel gates. They have not bothered to influence the local municipality to make at least one road motor-worthy. The roads are meant for bullock carts and heaven help you if you are pregnant! That was the first sign of difference with a class hotel chain which would go out of its way to ensure this facility to its customers. These guys don't care.
The first room we were shown was the base category which is what we had booked. Given that the tarriff was Rs. 10000 plus taxes, the room was on the first floor and got the direct terrace heat from above. In addition, the balconies were actually terraces without any shade so the room got heat from the walls as well. In addition the entire property is the worst air-conditioned five-star I have ever stepped into. So basically in spite of the Ac on full and a fan which whirred lazily at full-speed, the room was a furnace. Here's more at a Rs 10000 room - the showers are tiny, the whole bathroom stank of sewage water at all times, the WC does not have a hand-spray and the bath does not have a hand-shower either. To note - the hand-spray and hand shower are available as you progress up the room category chain. Obviously the hotels thinks larger groups or people who pay more deserve to have a hand-shower and the others should be happy with a mug!! Ridiculous! Anyway, we changed the room to a cottage which was marginally better AC wise and bathroom-wise although the AC had to be attended to twice before it became decently cool in the room.
Room service is abysmal. Every call needs at least one follow up all. The hotel has a, express service call button for all requirements. If they tell you they will call back - rest assured they WILL NOT! You are expected to call and find out what happened to your request. This happened to us at least 3 times. The staff is totally under-trained. We asked for a Mausami (sweet-lime) juice in the room and specifically mentioned the Eng and Hindi name for better understanding. I got a shot-glass with lemon-juice served in the room after that and was told that sweet-lime juice was not available. I saw several sweet-limes decorating the vases in the coffee-shop though. Obviously the decor cannot be disturbed for guests. I asked for lukewarm milk for my daughter, stressing on the "lukewarm" repeatedly. Of course it came boiling hot. Are these guys deaf or plain dumb?
Our first day's dinner had a sada dosa which was served at the restaurant stone-cold with a sambhar which was the worst sambhar I had ever tasted and the chutney was definitely leftover from the morning buffet. The spicy laksa was SO spicy that I was convinced a doctor's call would be needed in the night. We braced ourselves with medicines before bed.
The toddler's pool is forever littered with leaves and dust and the water is really dirty. Any other hotel of repute would make sure that the water is changed and a pool-boy is standing there cleaning the place. Here, you had to call the reception 3 times before it was done.
The GM had a cocktail for his guests on Sat evening. I personally never met him because he preferred to stay at one spot and hold court, rather than mingling. Maybe he expected his guests to walk up and pay their respects to him and thank him for the bruschettas. He was definitely not Indian so he had no clue about how to be a host. His flunkeys did mingle and try to get feedback which was a lame attempt at getting to know the guests.
When we were leaving, I asked to concierge to put two cold bottles of water from the room fridge into the car. Of course, since they otherwise charge Rs 75 for a bottle outside the rooms, he preferred to leave them behind. (At a Taj, the hotel staff constantly hand over bottled cold water on their resort properties, next to the pool or anywhere free-of-charge, just to compare. Here there was zero service at the poolside). When I insisted on the water, the bell-boy standing next to the car told me in these words - Hamein nahin pata, andar puchh lo. I don't know anything, ask inside. No courtesy, no please, no apologies. Just a country-bumpkin reply to a departing guest in the rudest tone I have encountered at a so-called five-star. At the reception they handed me two warm bottles of water and after I threw a fit, went off somewhere sulkily and returned with two cold bottles. And mind you, this was treatment given to their Starwood Preferred Guests!!
The only decent encounter here was Chef Rinku Sharma who made us some great Calamari Frito and Minestrone soup - both as special requests, off the menu. Before him all other staff had said these would not be possible as not on the menu. Chef Rinku was pleasant, young, talented and enthusiastic to understand the guest. He was the only such person at the resort.
My daughter happened to touch the platform below the egg station at breakfast and it was burning hot. To clarify she did not touch the stove, only the counter below. She got an immediate blister on her finger. When we asked for ice from the staff, they came with half-melted ice 10 minutes later and despite knowing the reason for the blister showed zero-concern and never offered first-aid. That would be unheard of in a reputable hotel chain which prides itself on service.
In conclusion, the Westin at Sohna is a wannabe. It has the trappings of a five-star but has a long-long way to go to get anywhere close to being a real five-star property. SInce most of its customers are one-night residents from Delhi, the place does not even have a demand for good service. But for a discerning customer who has stayed in real world-class hotels all over the world and India, the place is no more than a 2-star inn. It hasn't got it right on any front - service, check-in, billing, F&B, resort facilities and the place will remain a middle-of-the-road resort which charges huge tarriffs for below-average service. It will remain popular with local guest from the Delhi area but can't hope to gain any real class in the five-star pyramid in India with its current status.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
derrick_gooch, hotel Manager at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Greetings TraveliteNewDelhi,

Thank you for your detailed feedback during your stay at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa. The road work right before you enter our resort is under construction in which they have only got one lane paved. However, the improvements have increased drastically compared to the past. I am sorry we are not able to influence or fix these roads any faster than they are going at this moment in time. The Sohna district is in charge of this.

No words can describe how let down we feel knowing you had such a rough stay with us. When we sponsor the GM cocktail it is only to meet our guests and give back to them and by no means was I trying to ignore anyone on purpose. However, I do end up talking to others longer or shorter and I am afraid I don’t always get to meet everyone during this weekly event. However, that is why I invite my managers to attend so we all can meet everyone that comes so we can discuss any problems you may be facing. I am sorry you felt let down during this event.

Again, thank you for your concise feedback and it will help us to improve all around.

Be Well,
Derrick
delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

i went this property for a weekend with my lover and it was a complete relaxation time for me and i enjoyed it thoroughly. Its a lovely resort with all five star amenities and beautiful lush green surroundings... a great place to relax although little far from the main city of gurgaon.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
derrick_gooch, hotel manager at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
dear hotelguru11,

thank you for your recent comment on tripadvisor.

we are very glad you enjoyed your weekend at Westin Sohna Resort & Spa.

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

fantastic weekend getaway.. booked their 2 BR Cottage for the extended family and loved every min of it.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
derrick_gooch, hotel manager at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
dear saurabhbatra,

thank you for your recent comment on tripadvisor.

we are very glad you enjoyed your stay in our two bedroom deluxe suite.

india
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

We guys just had a spa break at Westin... one of the finest spa resort of the country, world class ambience, great food, and great service... full value for money, time, and effort... look forward to return soon...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
derrick_gooch, Hotel Manager at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
dear globetrotter201036,

thank you for your recent comment on tripadvisor.

we are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. we strive to be the finest spa destination in the area. we are also releasing new retreats from 3, 5 and 7 days in the near future. also we are very happy to hear you enjoyed the ambience, great food and service.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I visited Westin Resort & Spa in Sohna Gurgaon on 26th Dec 2009 with my family and friends for a long weekend. I was looking for a place nearby (less than 100 KM drive from Gurgaon) with good amenities. While selecting the property we (Friends) wanted to ensure that it should have enough activities for Kids & wives to keep them busy.
Kids loved the Play area, cycling & horse riding in the property. SPA was fascinating and kept our wives occupied. I & my friend had a great time playing Tennis, Table Tennis & Pool. They have lovely swimming pools as well…but it was freezing cold to get in there…that is the only activity we didn’t ventured.
I think the best time to visit this property is March or Oct when the sun is bearable and you can enjoy every available activity in the facility including swimming.

• Liked — Fantastic rooms, Great SPA, Amazing property with huge space, Great sports facility
  • Disliked — The roads which one need to take to reach the property. Surely need to use a bigger car
  • Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
derrick_gooch, hotel manager at Westin Sohna Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2010
dear dabral,

thank you for your recent comment on tripadvisor.

we are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. we strive to help families get away and have a nice time away from the city. we are especially glad your wives enjoyed their time in the heavenly spa and the children enjoyed the horses along with all the other activities we have. by the way, that was a great picture of your son riding the horse!

hotel Manager

Been to Westin Sohna Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!