“Friendly place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Frangipani Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belmont
Frangipani Hotel
You added Frangipani Hotel to your Saves list
Belmont, Bequia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Belmont
St. Vincent
“Friendly place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel has a wonderful seafood restaurant where you dine right on the waterfront. The staff is quite friendly and the waiting time for food is relatively short. This hotel is in walking distance of the main shopping areas, the beach and is surrounded by bars and restaurant and water and land taxis are readily available to take you around. Great place for couples or family vacations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed in the hotel just for one night on our way to Kingstown. Frangipani is a family-owned hotel with bright and spacious rooms with shared bathroom (couple of rooms with private bathroom are more expensive). Our room (really clean) had no air con, just a fan but it was enough. Over each bed we had a mosquito net. Make sure you use it!
Hotel has a nice looking restaurant but only meal we had there was breakfast (continental). Hotel is located just 7 min walk from the port which is very convenient when you travel by ferry.
Price seems a little high as for a room with shared bathroom and no air con, however in our opinion hotel makes it up with bright, Caribbean decoration and nice atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Grenada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

As to the hotel, the room we had was further up the hill, so it had a good view. Otherwise, it was a bit dated but charming. The internet (wifi) is awful (slow at best, nonexistent at worst), so be patient or give up on communicating with the outside world while enjoying the delights of "Frangi."

One of the selling points of this hotel is supposed to be the amazing bar. On their own website, they define it as "Listed as one of the top 100 bars in the world, the Frangipani's waterfront open air bar is one of the Caribbean's famous watering holes." Understandably, our expectations were high when we went down one night to get a nightcap. The bar was almost empty, with the barman typing a message on his phone. I approached and politely asked if we could order some drinks. By way of response, a grunt was supposed to assure me I can go ahead; no eye contact, yet, though, he must have had an important message to type while on the job. I asked a couple of questions as to how he makes the Painkiller cocktail and whether he has any Margaritas. Still typing away, I got some laconic responses and, although surprised by the sassy attitude, I decided to order. He reluctantly put his phone away and with the air of doing me a favor, started making the Painkiller the way I did NOT order it. Instead of starting anew, he just poured some of it out into the sink and continued. To cut a long story short, the drink was very sweet with no alcohol traceable in it. When I told him I would like to have some alcohol in it, he told me point blank that he didn't know I was a heavy drinker! Utterly amazed, I replied I liked my cocktail to taste of a bit of alcohol and be less sweet, otherwise I might as well drink a fruit juice.
My husband's Margarita tasted like lime slush.
During our stay we didn't go back for cocktails but had to occasionally get bottled water. The barman's manners never improved and later we found out from other hotel guests and even locals that the barman in Frangi was, indeed, on his high horse and people don't usually like going there anymore.
If you do decide to take your chance and pop in there for a drink, be forewarned.

Room Tip: rooms further up the hill have good views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bequia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed in a garden room. Unglazed windows means of course no a/c which was no problem but also meant dust and noise from car park area and noisy staff. Also meant that the pretty pathetic cleaning of the room showed up even more. The bathroom cold water tap was seized and only the hot water tap worked. The shower drain was blocked and we cleared it ourselves. The shower unit must have come out of the ark. The safe didnt work and when we asked reception about it the only reaction was that we hadnt read the (non existant) instructions. We knew we would have to move to a second room after a few days but this was no better. The main ceiling light didnt work and the - unattached - sink plug was the wrong size.

This leads to the state of the toilets in both rooms. Filthy and stained.

Doesnt anybody check these things?

We had one meal in the restaurant when we arrived and didnt bother again. We were the only occupied table and after waiting twenty minutes for the beer we ordered and reminding the waitress three times we gave up and got it for ourselves from the bar. The food - sandwiches - took forty minutes, and when we complained to the waitress she told us that "this is a restaurant, not fast food"

At 200 $us a night - not including breakfast - this is abysmal Sir James

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Loved the local stonewall/cottage-style room, the bed and the spacy balcony. Expensive compared to harbour-front old rooms. Jealousy-blinding walls (doors/windows) for natural AC is a good idea. Sadly we were invaded by batallions of mosquitoes (no malaria). Stayed 7 nights, emptied 2 cans of repellant and 1 box of coils. I'm allergic to insect bites, had to take antihistamin (makes me tired). No tv. Couldn't catch a glimpse of the harbour from our balcony due to high trees. Chose F. because it should be located near a beach. Correct, but you have to walk very steap up and down 20 min. or take water-taxi to get there. Low daytime reception-service means: take your own key from the shelf (open for everyone!). Wi-fi only near reception. The restaurant's barbeque-night with steelband is great. Very noisy neighbour bar (loud music untill midnight). But the choir in the church nearby sounds wonderful!!

Room Tip: Ask for an AC-room or 2nd floor if you're sensitive to mosquitoes.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been coming to Bequia for 25 years. The hotel is wonderful and the location is ideal. We always come the week between Christmas and New Years. The bartenders are what taints this place now. It's not just one instance, it happened last year as well. Other places you walk into the bar and they give you a warm Bequia welcome. The bartenders make you feel like they are glad you are there. They ask where you are from, if you've been to the island before, they SMILE. Not at the Frangi. The bartenders act miserable and like you are bothering them from spending their time chatting to their local friends who seem to always be sitting at the end of the bar. We were there and were the only ones at the bar. I had to say excuse me to get him to even look at me. No smile, nothing. I tried to make conversation, "do you get many cruise ships in here", my answer was a shrug. Considering this is usually the first impression that visitors get to the island, they need to rethink their choice of staff at the bar. Surely there is someone in all of Bequia that is not as rude as the bartender that is working there now. The Frangi bartenders need to take a cue from most of the Bequia cab drivers. You go to the airport and the visitors are all hugging their cab drivers. They are friendly, they make you feel welcome. The Frangi bartenders wish you'd just leave them alone so they can chat with their local friends. We heard this complaint from several other people while we were there this year.

Room Tip: Get the air conditioned rooms. This is the leeward side of the island and you don't get much win...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edgartown, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

The hotel is in a great spot along the harbor, in a cozy little area close to many other hotels and restaurants. Our room was beautiful, when the large doors to the porch were open, the bedroom looks out over the gardens and you can just see the ocean beyond. The bathroom in our room could use a little updating for the price but the overall experience was great. The food at the adjoining restaurant was delicious.

I have to agree with another person's review about the noise though. The bar next door had very loud live music until late in the night and a dog, that I think lives next door, was barking for much of the night as well.

We did not have any issues with bugs or mosquitoes in our room and we closed the porch doors at night and didn't need to use the mosquito net. The large private porch attached to our room was a nice place to relax and read. The landscaping is well maintained and we even saw a turtle wandering the property one day!

All in all we were very happy with our stay and would come again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Frangipani Hotel? Share your experiences!