“APT 310 The good The Bad and THE UGLY!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pat's at Punalu'u

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punaluu
Pat's at Punalu'u
You added Pat's at Punalu'u to your Saves list
53-567 Kamehameha Hwy, Punaluu, Oahu, HI   |
Okinawa, Japan
“APT 310 The good The Bad and THE UGLY!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

I am US Marine and traveled to Hawaii on my Honeymoon in May. I booked this place because it seemed like a great deal and I saw some decent reviews. They were very mixed, so I decided for the price to try it out.
Okay, so lets start out with the good. The view from the Apartment is great. In the morning you can open up the sliding glass door and take in a beautiful sunrise on the porch. The appliances are really nice and the kitchen was upgraded and beautiful. Having a washer and dryer in the Apt was a HUGE bonus. The area was quiet. Maybe some will think too quiet but for me it was what I wanted, away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki but close enough to some nice restaurants. (try the shrimp trucks they are fantastic)
Okay, so the bad.
I want to preface by saying that this place has soooo much potential if the owner or manager of the place would care more.
I have seen a few reviews saying that there is no AC, well not exactly true. The unit has 2 AC's but someone has hid the remotes. So, even though you are paying for a place the owner does not want to pay for your AC. So, just open up the AC unit and there is a button inside, that should do the trick. Make sure that you turn it off before you leave for good, because they will charge you out of your security deposit if you do not. Which brings me to the next thing. READ THE CONTRACT CAREFULLY!!!!! I was lucky and happened to read it again after I was at the apartment. There are multiple hidden charges. EXAMPLE: If you dont leave the parking pass back in the room they charge you. (its a piece of paper) I think most of the charges are 50 bucks and up.. so once again read the contract carefully. It will say in your contract that they keep your security deposit for 90 days because they want to make sure you dont charge any calls to your room and are awaiting the bill to check. TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE.... IF THEY ACTUALLY HAD A PHONE!!! that was a huge let down. NOOO PHONE. so if you are traveling and dont have a phone. (I was coming from Japan) then you are out of luck. SO, I am not sure why they need to keep the security deposit for the 90 days. Everyone seems to comment on the smell in the parking lot. YES there is a really bad smell. The bedroom is on the parking lot side and since the owner hid the AC remotes you might have to open up the windows and breathe that glorious smell all night. There is also a light right outside the window of the bedroom that shines in all night. I actually took the blanket off the bed and used it to cover the window .. it was that bad. The bed is old, squeaky and extremely uncomfortable. I have to add that the blankets and sheets are pretty bad.
I think that some basic instructions on the appliances would go a long way in making the stay more comfortable. Some of the appliances are tricky if you have never used that type. I met an owner of a unit upstairs when I was carrying down the trash. He said he felt bad because all the people that stay there same the same things and it never changes. Then he asked me why I was carrying down my trash and did not use the chute that was on my floor. Ohh well thats because I had no idea there was such a thing, I replied. Another example of how this place has the potential if someone their would actually care enough about the guests. There is absolutely NOOOOO CUSTOMER SERVICE. You will not have someone there to show you to your unit, or someone to show you how to use things, or even someone to ask questions if you have any.
Over all I have to say I was obviously disappointed. We only stayed 2 nights of the 7 that we payed for.

Now for the ugly.
I am around the 90 mark where I should be getting my security deposit back because they wanted to make sure I did not make any phone calls. I received an email saying that I was being charged 100 dollars out of my security deposit for losing my key. Since you have to put the key back into a lock box once you leave it is IMPOSSIBLE that they did not find it or the next guests would not have been able to check in. I tried to reply to the email and have yet to receive a response. Its 100 dollars, so should I chalk it up as more of a disappointment and forget about it, or should I make a big fuss? I really hope no one else goes through this. Maybe the rest of the units are better.
I would STRONGLY urge anyone that if they do decide to stay here not to stay in 310. If they say that is all that is available then just go somewhere else. If you are in the military there are many really good deals all over for you. If I had known before I got there I would of taken advantage of one of those other offers rather then wasting my money at this APT.
The only person I have talked to has been Amanda Marlow. I think she works for rental vacations.com. I also think that they are in Las Vegas. I hope that someone from this place contacts me and lets me know what is going on with this key situation.
Respectfully,
Aron Szekely

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Clearfield, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed at Kathy's Penthouse #5 and enjoyed every minute of it. Very quiet side of the island. Very clean and the decor was amazing. The PCC is only a few minutes away. The North Shore snorkeling was great. From Pat's you can take a few minutes to grab Freeway 53 across the island to many more attractions.
I would recomment this condo to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Our family had the perfect get-away vacation one recent weekend at Pat’s at Punaluu and we can’t wait to go back! We stayed in “Our Getaway” (Unit 102) and the owners also have No. 707 “Oceanfront Condo.” http://kailuaoahuhawaii.com/

Our comfy condo was on the ground floor, a stone’s throw from the beach; we could hear the waves at night after coming back from a full day of swimming and beachcombing.
We had everything a family of five (with three children 8 and under) could want in the condo, even beach toys and amenities such as a coffee maker and washer-dryer (which comes very handy!).

This unit was very clean and comfortable. Worth noting is the fact that these units are independently owned and operated, so don’t be swayed by some less-desirable reviews of other units at the property.

The grounds are lush and well kept, and provide a perfect backdrop for one of the beautiful stretches of beach for which Windward Oahu is known.

We spent one entire day enjoying the beach, looking for crabs, and swimming in both the ocean and the pool. We went back to the beach at night so the children could chase sand crabs and look for glowing, bioluminescent sand particles. Also, don't miss the magnificent sunrises!

On another day, we took a short drive to see some of the most famous beaches on the island, from Lani’s Beach to Sunset Beach and the North Shore. We even saw two monk seals basking on Sunset Beach! It was amazing.

The hosts think of many small details to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable, such as providing guides to nearby eateries and the association rules, just so you know what’s expected of guests.

Getting away from the busier parts of O‘ahu allowed us to feel a part of a different side of Hawai‘i that we don’t normally get to see. It was a perfect weekend! Our Getaway was a wonderful find and we’re glad we stayed there.

Room Tip: Unit 102 or 707: http://kailuaoahuhawaii.com/
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in 707 in December 2010 and found the place to be quiet and the beach empty. The apartment had a fantastic view of the ocean which is literally steps away. As noted by many others, this is an old building and rather ugly from the road. There is an odor in the parking lot, but once past it, we never noticed it. Our condo was clean, quiet, well stocked with pool toys and food items left by previous folks. The bathroom was last modeled when the place was built, but it was clean.

There are no restaurants nearby so we cooked in quite a bit. Not a party place. In December it seems mostly empty which we found peaceful. We typically had the beach to ourselves, although it was too rough for snorkeling. The lanai was great for sipping a glass of wine and watching the sun set or watching sun rise with a cup of coffee.

It worked as a nice base to visit both the north shore and also the windward side --staying away from the hustle-bustle of Waikiki.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
canton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I liked the location the best at this rental. It was far enough from Waikiki that you get great beaches and great solitude, but also close enough to the north shore and other places that you aren't driving eons to get everyplace. The beach at Pats is amazing and I loved going to and sitting on the beach. Early in the morning crabs that bury themselves in the sand come out to go back to the water, might give you the heebie jeebies watching them scurry across the sand. We didn't find any restaurant we LOVED, but there were a bunch on the North Shore that we enjoyed. The one thing to be aware of when renting this unit is that the building has an extremely pungent smell of raw sewage when you pull up into the parking lot. It is like that all the time, and it is awful! The bedrooms of the units face the parking lot/highway side, so be prepared to smell it a bit in the bedroom, because there is no air conditioning, so you keep the windows open all the time. The sound of the highway (2 lane, back-road highway) didn't bother me, but I like a bit of white noise when I sleep. The couple of negative things about this unit (310) in particular is that there is a cockroach problem, we saw one scurry across the floor the first night we were there and it freaked me out a bit...Then we saw a few more in the coming days and other various little bugs. Also, there is a family who seems to be living year round in the condo above Unit 310 and they have a very noisy bird that they keep on the back porch/patio. They do not cover the bird at all and the bird makes a lot of noise. Squawking loudly at the break of dawn and waking anyone within hearing distance. So much for sleeping in on my vacation. I would not rent this condo again. I plan on coming back to Oahu at some point, and we will stay somewhere more near the North Shore, the beaches there are just as amazing at Pats.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Wack! Don't waste your money. Peaceful Punalu'u is not so peaceful. As you arrive and enter the complex you are greeted by the smell of raw sewage. Entering the "peaceful" abode the first thing I noticed was the unattractive concrete walls that gave the feel of a prison cell. I could live with those things on my vacation, but what I can't live with is sleeping on a bed with a broken frame sagging in the middle, and the sound of constant traffic outside my "peaceful" bedroom. In addition, the grounds keepers started their weed whackers at 9 am! I love relaxing to the annoying sound of a weed whacker. The futon, for your 3rd guest, is absolutely torturous! Worse that the bed. This place is not peaceful, definitely not romantic, and way over priced. The only positive is the view. Clearly that's what keeps this place afloat. Total disappointment and waste of my hard earned money. You can do better.

Room Tip: Constant traffic outside bedroom so no sleeping in
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kelowna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

We stayed in room 409 which we found on craigslist. The owner of our unit was very friendly and helpful. Like most have commented on there is a stinkly smell in the parking lot but that is the only place you can notice it. The units are very secure as a key fob is needed to even get on the elevator. The road noise was a bit annoying but most of it went away once you closed the windows. Our unit was fairly clean but could use some updating although it was nice to to stress to much about keeping it immaculate with our 3 boys on the loose.
Our biggest issue was with the weather. In the past we have stayed on the leeward side and this is the windward side - emphasis on the wind. Not that you can fault the property for the wind but it did not make it nice to be on the beach or in the pool. Some folks told us it was exceptionally windy that week and it did die down towards the end of our stay but that being said I am not sure we would stay on that side again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pat's at Punalu'u? Share your experiences!