“poor food and discourteous service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Wharfedale Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arthington
The Wharfedale Inn
You added The Wharfedale Inn to your Saves list
Arthington Lane, Arthington LS21 1NL , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Arthington B&B and Inns
UK
“poor food and discourteous service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We chose the Wharfedale from a number of possibilities with a view to taking the family the following weekend. What a mistake! We had decent starters and for main I had pork loin. This consisted of two pieces of meat one on top of the other with indifferent looking boiled potato accompaniment and side dish of vegetables. The meat was very difficult to cut and impossible to chew. I asked the waitress (who was courteous) to take it back and she offered me an alternative which I declined as the one I chose(my partner's chicken dish) would apparently take 35 minutes to prepare. Meanwhile my partner had to eat alone. When I went to settle the bill I was told very firmly that I would have to pay for the returned dish as it had been ordered and other people had not complained. When I said that I had intended to take a family group the following week I was told not to take them if I was not prepared to pay. When I asked what would have happened ifI had taken an alternative dish i was told that I would have had to pay for BOTH dishes.
I have never before experienced such a discourteous reaction and friends I have told this to were astonished.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This pub/restaurant (with rooms available too) is a little of the beaten track but really worth the drive.

We found it by accident after taking a wrong turn, a very serendipitous wrong turn it proved to be.

It was lunch time and we just had some food which we ordered from the bar, the food was lovely and generously sized. It was our wedding anniversary the next day and we wanted to celebrate with our family so we booked the restaurant for 12 people for the occasion.

We could not have hoped for a better evening. Everything was just perfect; the boar meat sausage starter was amazing. About half of us ordered steaks and half a variety of other dishes. The steaks were huge and the chef obviously knew how to cook them. Medium rare was perfection, unlike so many places where they have no idea what rare or medium rare means. Although there is a menu for the restaurant, you can order from the bar menu too, both of which are full of interesting dishes as well as traditional and familier ones.

All the other dishes were equally well prepared and presented and the sweets menu did not disappoint the ladies. Service was perfect too, attentive but not intrusive, friendly but not fawning.

There was an extensive wine list and good quality too. We had a terrific evening, servings were more than generous, quality was impeccable and perhaps most surprisingly, the cost was very reasonable indeed. It worked out at about 20 - 25 pounds a head with wine and three courses. We have paid three times that at far better known restaurants for food that did not come close to this.

We returned for Sunday lunch, four of us on that time and that was amazing too. We found ourselves drawn back there a number of times and each time we just liked it more.

The décor is old world pub style and very cosy, we just could not fault it. On top of that there is ample off road parking. We can’t see what more one could want.

Well done The Warfedale Inn!

We recommend it most highly

Travel safe :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Although we did not stay the night at the Wharfedale, we went and had a meal to celebrate the birthday of a friend, and wished we hadn't.

My own meal was supposed to be slow roast belly pork with mustard mash. What arrived was a greasy concoction of mustard topped with dry mashed potato and two pieces of belly pork that had barely touched the grill, never mind being slow roasted.

The service, if you can call it that, was non existent, more DIY.

Didn't even deserve a rating of one.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Arthington hotels

Been to The Wharfedale Inn? Share your experiences!