“very good cuisine with a different twist-” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Aylesford
Cuisines: European, English
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Sherlocks is a long established charming chef-proprietor restaurant in the village of Aylesford,within the original Victorian village post office and shop. Sherlocks is open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. Sherlocks offers an informal and unfussy dining experience.There is ample free car parking in the nearby village car parks.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“very good cuisine with a different twist-”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A small intimate restaurant right in the centre of old Aylesford. Varied and good choices of all courses. Nothing too different or unusual, labelled on a Sherlock Holmes theme. Generous vegetable selection with the mains. Lovely puds. House wine very good. Very friendly service and relaxed atmosphere. All in all a very enjoyable and relaxed evening. This is a lovely restaurant, I believe owned and run by the chef and partner. They only open a few lunches and evenings a week and the standards are high. Well worth a visit for something different.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Leigh-on-Sea, Essex
“Save room for dessert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have been to Sherlocks a couple of times before and we were invited to go for a friend's birthday, which was great because it's been too long. I had remembered the portions were large so I was careful in what I chose from the menu so that I could try all of the courses. I had a lovely goats cheese starter - so far so good - enough but not too big. I noted how nice and fresh the salad leaves were - even the best places can't manage this sometimes. All the other starters our party had looked great too and plenty of choice there for every taste. I had a main course of prawns in garlic with rice - the prawns were a starter dish but I asked for a main course portion of these instead of the provencale prawn dish offered for main - no problem. I love the vegetable selection which is so different from the norm. Plenty there for a large appetite but I was saving room for dessert. Again plenty of good choices on the menu for main course. I was surprised at how many desserts were on offer, as well as as a cheese plate if you don't have a sweet tooth. I had the pavlova which was huge with fabulous chewy meringue and fresh fruit and cream - I would really recommend it. Others had the baked cheesecake - which they enjoyed too - everyone was full and happy. Everything was clearly freshly prepared and home made and there was a good selection of wine, with the house wines being very reasonably priced for a restaurant. This is a quirky place - give it a try and make sure you go there hungry to fully appreciate it !

• Visited March 2013
Sydney
“Different!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Ate at Sherlocks with two friends Saturday. It is like eating in someone's front room, which I think is the idea, if so it works because it creates a nice buzz. Amazingly it looked like there was one person in the kitchen and one serving, for 25-odd covers that means a lot of work, and the gentleman serving did give a big "right, let's get this done" sigh every time e entered the restaurant from the kitchen. This meant there was quite a gap between starter and main course and to get our first drink, but he was so friendly and happy it was easy to forgive.
Food was basic English as far as mains are concerned, fish, chicken, steak with a couple of sauces, starters were also local, the deserts clearly the cef's favourite, they were outstanding. Food was all cooked perfectly and obviously they use fresh local ingredients.
Overall, good, well prepared food in a different environment. I'd go back

Rochester, United Kingdom
“Gem of a restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to this restaurant for over 20 years! I have never ever been disappointed. It is a total joy from the moment you walk through the door, the atmosphere ,the menu and home made pavlova that I would sell my soul for!! There is no rush, please spend the whole evening here and soak it up!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maidstone
“Wonderful Restuarant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went to Sherlocks on saturday with two friends after reading excellent reviews on trip advisor and wanting to try a new local restuarant. We were not disappointed which was a good thing as our friends travelled up from Folkestone to dine out with us. The menu was varied with something for everyones taste and the desserts were scrumptious. Try the 'four little pots' so different from the usual run of the mill selection, even the cheesecake was baked on top which made it unusual and very nice indeed. The mains were presented in a very appetizing way and again the vegatables were slightly different tasty and cooked to perfection. The bottle of iced water on the table was a nice touch and the coffee was not in one of those stupid little cups that you cannot even hold properly but a large caffitiere with freshly brewed coffee and a jug of milk - again a bonus. As the restuarant is only small the atmosphere is very friendly and welcoming and our waiter was superb. He was extremely jovial and made our evening enjoyable and we will definitely be returning and will recommend it to our friends. Just a tip you have to book at least two weeks in advance as they are always fully booked especially on a saturday evening.

• Visited February 2013