“DO NOT book Riverland Bed & Breakfast , Red Deer is GOOD!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madawaska
Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground
6471 Highway 523 | on the Madawaska River, Madawaska, Ontario K0J 2C0, Canada   |
Special Rate
To August 28, $100/night
Toronto, Canada
“DO NOT book Riverland Bed & Breakfast , Red Deer is GOOD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Do not book the nearby Riverland Bed & Breakfast

We had a horrible experience last weekend. This Riverland Bed & Breakfast
also have campsite and lodge (trailer).
We booked three bedrooms 3 weeks advance specifically for the B&B. But when we arrive Riverland Bed & Breakfast , those rooms are occupied by other large private group, the host only give us 2 trailers, not only the condition are much worse , they also ask the full price for those 2 trailers which are lot more expensive than what we original order.
The hosts are senior couple, but they appear drunk and rude, the word from their mouth are “take it or leave it”, We can’t believe that’s how they treat customer so we decide to leave.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reddear, Owner at Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
How strange! I received no notice of this review, and only saw it because I was updating my website. As much as I appreciate the review, I wish it said something about this property. Thanks for taking the time to make your opinion known.

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Courtenay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Everything a campground should be. We stayed in the cabin with a great view through the pines, over the water. Through the windows, while drinking tea, spotted a great blue heron wading in the cat tails. a group of mergansers paddled by the shore in front of the kitchen windows. Outside there were mushrooms to pick, new berries to discover and a lovely set of falls to hike or paddle to. Cabins and separate shower/bathroom facilities, are clean comfortable and well equipped. The cabins' log walls remind you, at last you have left the city behind. Campground is big enough to be open and has enough trees for privacy, and level and not rocky! Well set up!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reddear, Owner at Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your observations. It never occurred to me that someone would see a Heron from inside the cabin! But yes, there is enough window/view for that to happen. I still haven't become used to the cabin you stayed in; it had such tiny windows (and was so rough) for 21 of the 24 years i have owned this place. The last rebuild was the best, my crew and I got smarter as time progressed.
Though you hail from far away, I hope to see you here another day!
BTW, check my blog for the birding list that was complied by another guest the same weekend.
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a great visit with friends! The campsites are all clean, with some shade from trees.There are taps nearby with drinking water, bathrooms and a shower, all in a very acceptable state. We did not rent a cabin, but were inside two cabins that Sandra has fixed up so well! What I like about the cabins the MOST is that they are clean and basic without being fancy, with a bit of a retro feel to them. When we were there it was cold! The cabins were cozy and comfortable.
The hike to the falls was great, and any nature lover would love to get into identifying numerous varieties of trees, plants,mushrooms and mosses along the way.
Our ornithologist daughter was busy telling us of all the birds she could identify by song from the nearby trees.
Thanks Sandra for all your hard work to make this a great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reddear, Owner at Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks for checking in! (double entendre intended)
Great to know that, in spite of some wretched weather, you had a great time. Serious campers, appropriately equipped for their experience, do well here. Those who live outside (badly) for a couple of days often run into trouble. Camping does involve skill and basic equipment, not plastic gizmos from China, to have a successful trip. Rampant consumerism and camping are actually at odds as ideologies. I doubt that we do nature a favour by making it easy for people to leave consumed (i.e. broken) items in wild places.
I love it when people have reunions here! You folks came from across Canada to enjoy this spot for 4 days. It is also flattering that a number of you hail from the West Coast, and yet find my place special.
People who truly love nature are the ones who find themselves most comfortable here. I have gone to great length to NOT suburbanize the property; my intent is to give a break from the city. One of those breaks involves consumerism. It is disappointing when people do not take a canoe trip, but instead ask where the closest mall is. Malls are everywhere unfortunately; waterfalls are not.
Why do I have a place like this near Algonquin Park?
1. my park is smaller than any of the organized campgrounds in Algonquin. On the busiest days, it is more like a hamlet than a town.
2. rural people want to find a place to go that is not crowded
3. some people cannot afford the time for the remote (interior) Algonquin experience. This is the next best, AFAIK
4. some people don't like provincial parks for a myriad of reasons
5. some adventurers have aged, and now want access to basic amenities without sacrificing natural surroundings
My intent is to provide for a niche market. Not everyone wants to stay in a Holiday Inn (or trailer park, or a provincial park). The only thing my place has in common with HI is that children stay for free. The only Holiday Inn I know of on waterfront is in Thunder Bay.
It's easy to find a place with a restaurant and fancy bathrooms. Not so easy to find a real log cabin. Most are actually frame cabins with log facing. It's a little like going to Scotland, and trying to find a castle to stay in that has not been americanized.
Built in 1947 as the first hunting and fishing lodge in the area, only 4 of the original 12 log cabins still stand, and all remaining have been rebuilt since I purchased the property. The campground was added in 1966. I shifted the property to an environmentally sound offering in 1989.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have been coming up to Red Deer Lodge for 20+ years now on my own and with family and friends. I come fully equiped to make my stay enjoyable...food, wine, bathing suit, walking shoes and a good book.
I am not a camper or backpacker but I come to enjoy nature and the quiet of mid week in Northern Ontario.
It is beyond beautiful, the waterfall a canoe ride away, berries to be picked and enjoyed, a camp fire at night... what more can you ask!?
If you expect a one room log cabin in a northern ontario campground then you will not be disappointed when it is not a city hotel :).
I love Sandra (the owner) - she is honest, true, smart, funny and organized to a fault.
Three cheers for Red Deer... where wonderful memories are made!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Reddear, Owner at Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Wow, thanks for the pump! I love your equipment list. It's perfect.
Hope to see you here soon again.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband, son and I scheduled a trip to Red Deer Log Cabins in late August. As an avid canoer/camper/hiker I was excited to get back to Algonquin (well close to it anyway!). Our son is 15 months old so we are limited in the type of camping we can do. Thats why we opted for a cabin this time.
When we arrived it was sunny, beautiful and inviting.
The wide open field by the lake was perfect for our son and dog to run around in and explore. Although the cabin was rustic and simple it was comfortable and had all we needed.
For one reason or another our son couldn't/wouldn't sleep and by morning we felt overwhelmed.
Due to the possibilty of crazy weather and thunderstorms we decided to leave. Being inside the cabin with a 15 month old while it rained outside wasn't a fun thought. (Apparently it didn't end up raining very much!)
Sandra was kind enough to let us postpone our stay and come back at a later date.
We have yet to decide on dates but we look forward to getting back to the cabin to relax and maybe see some fall colors.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reddear, Owner at Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Weather can certainly present challenges for nature lovers! Sadly, the weather was much better than the forecast, and you missed a fabulous week. That happens a lot here; the readings are taken from a town 65 km away, in a completely different microenvironment. Hopefully your return visit will have a more accurate forecast!
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Have been visiting Sandra at Red Deer for 16 years now. We have tented and used the cabins. The camp sites are large and the cabins have everything that you need. Remember...you are camping!!! The waterfront is perfect for swimming with a sandy beach.
Over the past 16 years we have discovered that there is something special about Red Deer in that it has its own little weather system. There could be clouds and raining everywhere around but there is almost always sunshine at Red Deer.
Perfect (non-commercialized) place to unwind.....for 2 or for all your family and friends.
Thanks Sandra.
See you soon.

Room Tip: If you want to go camping stay here...if you want a hotel stay there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reddear, Owner at Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Amazing how many people from years past have returned this year.! It's been an amazing season that way.
Glad you could be part of it.

Weren't you here the weekend Katrina wiped out New Orleans?
Lugano, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

red deer cabins, that is.
we're neither backpackers nor campers, so we always expect a nice and clean accomodation in return for our money, not just anything at the cheapest possible price.
the place is a camping site with four cabins and a tent field that share one single smelly toilette for all guests, right by a mosquitos infested lake. the view is very peaceful, although you hear the noise of motorboats and cars that you wouldn't expect by the close surroundings of algonquin park, everything is allowed from jetski to dirtbikes. not a remote secluded destination for sure, just like the park itself unless you go for at least two days canoe trip.
guest of the cabins, who are required to pay 140CAD per night (not cheap at all, as of august 2013) are expected to pay extras for linings, campfire woods and canoes (15CAD half day) not even room service is included as additional fees will be applied if the cabin isn't tidy up before check out. The cabin itself is stinky, very small with old cheap furniture in it, given this can't be classified as clean by western accomodation standards.
just as a measure, consider that a four star hotel next to canada's woderland in toronto came at the same fares and that we rented a
whole house with private lake access outside montreal for half than that (though we got lucky with this).
So all in all, algonquin left us pretty disappointed, very pricey (we opted for red deer as park's lodges are unaffordable) very crowded and a bit of a runaway place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
You smiled as you left, and said you felt better. You were exhausted when you arrived.
Just the facts.
You paid $125 including tax/night for Friday/Saturday at the height of the summer season. You could get cheaper in a motel on a main highway. No kitchen, firepit, or waterfront yard though.
The waterfront is a river. The river levels are high this year = mosquitoes. It's nature.
The waterway is public. I cannot control who has access. Weekends are the busiest time on the waterway and the highways.
Housekeeping cabins have equipment, but the renter must clean up after themselves. I did not create this category of accommodation, but it is the market for which I provide.
My advance information is clear about extra charges, service level, proximity of cabins to each other (photos), the existence of a campground. It is clear about the washrooms being central. There are other facilities throughout the rest of the grounds. Is 30 people on 8 acres crowded?
No bedbugs, no mold, Ollie gives 2 paws up! See my reddeercabin blog for details.
Everyone has a different sense of smell, and I don't use neutralizers or anything else toxic to clean the rooms. Your cabin had just been done from the top down, the mid season overhaul.
It is unfortunate that you didn't enjoy your stay. Thanks for letting me know, though there isn't much I can do about it at this time. Were you to be in the neighbourhood again...

Been to Red Deer Log Cabins and Campground? Share your experiences!