“A whale Captain Ahab would order” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Downderry
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A whale Captain Ahab would order”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have been visiting the Inn on the Shore for nearly 15 years and a few times a year for the last 7 or so since family moved down there. Due to new manangement we have really noticed a great change in both the food and the general service received from staff in the last two years or so and are always really cheered to see the octagenarian Brian the barman still on staff and not retired!
We regularly go down for food when we are over and having been beaten by the mighty and aptly named whale (huge beer battered cod) on more than one occassion my husband and i now cheat and order a whale and the brilliant home made burger between us which is a delicious surf and turf combo that goes really well with a great pint of Tribute before moving onto a nice gin and cranberry on the fantastically appointed terrace overlooking the beach and with views of Eddystone lighthouse. The new management have made huge improvements here too with the rattan sofas with comfy cushions and patio heaters - not forgetting the fairy lights!
We now have an 18mth old so have only now noticed the childrens garden behind the pub that includes a really great wooden climbing frame/slide combo that kids of all ages seem to get lots of entertainment from and our child finds something new to play with each time. Parents aren't forgotten either - there are picnic tables out there too for weary parents to tag-team out to! Though i must point out you dont feel you have to hide out in the childrens area - our son is always welcomed inside the pub too and the last time they even kept him amused with a bowl of grapes and a peeled apple when he'd polished off all the snacks i'd brought him!
All in all i can heartily reccommend for couples, big family gatherings in the restaurant or for drinks on the terrace and definitely child and dog friendly and we are looking forward to popping in again over christmas! (Ruth and Dan, Belfast)

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Essex
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My partner and I were looking forward to a meal here after having had the restaurant recommended to us by friends. When we arrived the welcome we had from the staff was less than warm, it almost felt that we were an inconvenience, we were shown to our table and given extremely grubby menus and told that several items were not available. I tried to pick my serviiette up and it was stuck to the table! The standard of cleanliness was shocking. The only positive was that our food was served on hot plates, it's just a shame that our meals tasted of sawdust. I think it is the first time we have left a restaurant within an hour

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thailand
“Best carvery ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Love friendly services of staffs, nice view and location and can walking down to the beach, Love to see that can take dog with look simply friendly and comfortable by customers who visit really. Nice clean areas around restaurant and bar. Can have fun with pool and enjoy music from jukebox! especially fresh food cooked by great chefs ready to served from the kitchen, no foods peep peep from microwave.
Anyway I most loved and enjoyed my carved gammon with honey glazed :) yum yum!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oundle
“Friendly Staff, Lovely View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

After reading the awful reviews we visited with some trepidation. During our weeks stay in Downderry we visited here twice for drinks. The view outside is really lovely and we enjoyed a couple of beers on the patio.

We were served by a lovely man from Yorkshire, I can’t remember his name, but I know he was new

I would return if in the area again

Visited September 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I recently visited this pub/eating house for dinner. Whilst the restaurant had no other diners present (the weather was rainy) we both enjoyed an excellent meal. We both had soup as a starter which was both warming and flavoursome. For main course my wife had an excellent crab salad whereas I had a sirloin steak. Each dish was well presented and the service was both attentive and friendly.

I would definitely return to this venue again and strongly recommend it to any reader.

• Visited October 2013