“For the remote area, this place's menu is very tasty and the chef deserves kudos” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chart Room

The Chart Room
236 Rezanof Drive, Kodiak, Kodiak Island, AK 99615
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 26 Restaurants in Kodiak
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We ate here twice, so far. Every time we left stuffed and happy! One night I had a halibut filet served over a creamy carrot polenta. I've been craving that polenta ever since! Even my teenager loved the polenta (and her halibut!). They offer broccoli kohlrabi which I appreciate as a healthy, tasty side option. Not many restaurants offer it ever. Service is great. Menu is great. It's super busy on Weds. nights so keep that in mind. It's definitely one of our family favorite restaurants!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Meal and a View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is located on the second floor of the Best Western Hotel in Kodiak, Alaska. I had the prime beef and it was made to order and tasted excellent. Good glass of wine and the view is of the boat harbor and ocean beyond.

Visited June 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
“Good polenta and overcooked scallops”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had the scallops and jalapeno/cheddar polenta. The polenta was great, but the scallops were overcooked. You'd think a restaurant in Kodiak, Alaska would know not to overcook scallops, but they were indeed rubbery. Had chocolate mousse pie for dessert and it was good. I ordered a salad and the waitress completely forgot, and a friend ordered wine and the waitress forgot that too. Also, the restaurant was like an oven -- very hot and no air movement. Put in a fan!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Anchorage, Alaska
“Excellent meal and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Order the fish! Everything else is flown or shipped in and is tremendously expensive. You can't go wrong with Alaskan seafood in Alaska.

Visited May 2013
Valdez, Alaska
“Mediocre Quality, Inflated Prices, Nothing Impressive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

During a recent business trip to Kodiak, I had the opportunity to eat at the Chart Room restaurant located in the Best Western. I ate here on three separate occasions and found consistency in the quality of the food and service. However, I can't sing much praise for either. One night, I had the prime rib. The meat was gray, overcooked, and looked like it had been mishandled during preparation. The next night, I had halibut. Nothing to write home about; the fish was overcooked, and lacked any real effort. The third night, I had a rib eye. This one was better than the other two nights, but the steak was overcooked.

The service at the Chart Room did not impress me. The staff seemed annoyed that people were there.

I live and work in Alaska. I travel all over the state, and I feel the prices and quality at the Chart Room are not commensurate. The kitchen screwed up a thirty dollar plate on each of my three visits!

The restaurant has a nice scenic view, with aged decor and uncomfortable seating.

• Visited March 2013