“A welcome retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre

You added Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre to your Saves list
Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   5720 Forgets Road | Tay Township, Midland, Wyebridge, Tiny, Ontario L0K 2E0, Canada (Formerly Sugar Ridge B&B)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Wyebridge B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orton, Ontario
“A welcome retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I came up for a bit of a break from the every day. We were looking forward to the various yoga classes and also the lovely vegan breakfast. The staff was wonderful, the rooms were basic but very natural. The food was excellent and the yoga classes were fun. I would highly recommend this retreat to anyone who needs a break or just wants to get a kickstart on yoga. The owners were awesome and very helpful. And their dogs provided a dog fix for my husband and I as we left our dogs at home. We hope to return very soon!

Room Tip: We found the beds a bit hard for our back, but that is not uncommon for us. The facilities were wond...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
LizFrost, Owner at Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hi Shelley!

it was so great to meet you both! You're my kind of people! Glad you made it home ok.

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to host you again soon. Maybe with a few drums?

Sorry to hear the mattress was too hard for you - I guess we can't please everyone and usually people love the beds. We've had many people call after staying here to find out what kind of mattress we use so they can go buy it. I'm not sure how to remedy that for your next visit??

Liz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I purchased a deal for sugar ridge on ethical deal on line. This deal was an amazing price for the experience I had. The cabin was very simple but just what you need for a relaxing night or two. Breakfast was great, something different and tasty every morning. The yoga class selection was fantastic. I would have liked that at least one class be offered on Sundays too but every other day I was there I loaded up on yoga. You can go hiking in the woods or it is a shirt drive to town where there are lots of trails for walking and jogging. I would recommend this place and would consider going back if I'm ever in the area again.

• Stayed September 2013
Hi!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the peacefulness of Sugar Ridge. It's all about reconnecting to yourself, breathing fresh air and eating healthy food!

It's great to hear that you liked the classes so much you wanted more! We almost always host groups on the weekends and they use the studio space. Their departure times vary on the Sundays so it makes planning any studio classes more difficult. Sunday afternoon is usually pretty quiet here with weekend guests leaving and most guests arrive between Monday to Thursday, and it's my only time off for the week so I try to keep that for family time. Plan your next visit during the week and there are plenty of classes to choose from.

Hope to see you again soon!

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

my wife and i spent five days (Mon-Fri) at the Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre and woke up every day feeling completely refreshed from benefits of sleeping in middle of woods with the comfort of a real bed in private cabin. full breakfast every morning was delicious and we really enjoyed the first-class yoga classes spread throughout the days. we also had time to visit Midland (10 mins away) and Barrie (45 mins) which both have a lot to offer in terms of entertainment and leisure. lots of various beaches and trails nearby (within 15 min drive) and wasaga beach (45 min) also within striking distance. also spent a few days just reading in the luxury of the main area while taking in the surrounding nature. everything about our experience at Sugar Ridge was perfect. we also had supper at the centre every day which i would also highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi!

You both were so easy to take care of! It was refreshing to have your incredible energy around for the week - you're lovely people!

It's great you went out to enjoy the incredible playground we're situated in. You can't drive far without hitting a beach, provincial park or forest trails. It's a natural paradise here (I'm just a little biased of course:) )

I look forward to seeing you next summer!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Reading all the other recent reviews, you can get a great sense of the philosophy and goals of this great place. DO NOT go here if you expect luxury, wear high heels or dine at the Ritz. Assess the kind of vacation you want before booking this wonderful place. You will not have your own washroom and must either use a very clean outhouse or walk to the main building for the toilet. Sugar Ridge is fantastic for people who "GET IT". Any poor reviews have to be from people who just didn't know what this place is about. Do not hesitate to go if you have the chance and don't pack your heels.

Room Tip: No room service or spa, but the service in the main building is homey and sincere.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
LizFrost, Owner at Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. It made me laugh out loud to envision folks with high heels trekking through wood chip paths. Glad you understand what we're about - world peace one person at a time!

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It's not easy to find a place that is suitable to host a silent retreat for a large group but Sugar Ridge was perfect for this! We had an amazing retreat and the lodge owner and her staff are such LOVELY people! Beautiful land, great food, really clean bathrooms, great experience and my bed was so comfortable! Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: I really liked cabin 7. :-) For anyone who's not too keen on nature and bugs, you may not want...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your kind words!

i absolutely love hosting silent retreats. There is something magical that happens when everyone works together, lives together, without the distraction of speech. Often we connect deeper in silence than if we speak. The centre was designed with meditation in mind so it is intentionally simple yet comfy. Glad you enjoyed it

Peace to you,

waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to go to sugar ridge for 2 nights in July and August. One trip was with my daughter and the other with some girlfriends. The resort is a small facility, that caters to wellness. It is quiet and serene.
When you enter the main building you are required to take off your shoes. On the left is the yoga studio. Then directly ahead is a lounge area with comfy couches, a coffee table, and chairs. They have books, magazines, and some games. Then is the seating area for meals that consists of two long wooden tables. The entire space has windows overlooking the wildflower gardens. To the right are the washrooms. They have 2 showers with hooks and cubbies for your toiletries. There is also a room that can be used for reading or medication.
The cabins are located around the main building in a ring. Each cabin has 4 beds with a fan, lots of windows, alarm clock, extra blankets and a dresser.
I really enjoyed the classes that were offered. The instructors were awesome.
As most reviews have stated the food is really good. Very nutritious and delicious.
The owner is a lovely lady, with a kind soul.
Ps I loved the dogs.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words - always appreciated! I'm so glad you've enjoyed your visits here. The instructors are awesome - I'm always wishing I had time to get into their classes myself.

Glad you liked my boys (the dogs). They are wonderful hosts themselves.

Much love,, Liz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

It was my first stay at Sugar Ridge, but it definitely won't be the last. Everyone was hospitable, the food was amazing, and the amenities were clean and comfortable. Down to the smallest details, they've done everything right here. The room for practicing yoga was designed perfectly, and I loved every moment I was there. It has a great community feel with a large common area and lots of natural lighting. The surroundings of the cabins and retreat centre put you at peace. I can't wait for my next visit!

• Stayed August 2013
Well I look forward to hosting you when you can manage to get away again.

We did put a lot of thought into design details - thanks for noticing. We strive for comfort without clutter. Keeping everything simple allows that peacefulness to permeate and not be distracted.

i do love to cook but I often say it's the love in the food that makes it taste so good. Can't wait to feed you again!

Liz

Been to Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre? Share your experiences!