“Perfect for the Shore!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ortley Beach
Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites
You added Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites to your Saves list
1963 Route 35 North, Ortley Beach, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ortley Beach
Howell, New Jersey
“Perfect for the Shore!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I recently completed a lengthy stay and was just reading the reviews. Sad that the reviews were out of line completely. Let me clarify the area so people from out of town can understand. The area is a peninsula with NO hotels on the beach as it is all private residences. The ocean is houses away from the hotel and the bay backs up to the other side. This is not a RESORT> those are in Florida. It is however a fun family MOTEL with kitchen included suites. I have stayed in both, and would recommend either. I happened to be there with the pool issue and saw them empty the pool and treat it appropriately. The pool is always comfortable and clean and never burns your eyes as it is filtered 24 hours a day. What is upsetting about these reviews is that they sound more like disgruntled guests than savy travelers. There is No wifi in any of the rooms but is available in and around the office. I used my ipad everyday.
As far as guests using the outside to smoke cigars, they are on vacation too. It is not a hotels responsibility to provide fun for you, but there are Many things to do in the area.It is up to the guest to make their own fun as it would be on any vacation anywhere. It is a beach town that runs into another and another. I have stayed in five star resorts and other types of hotels all over the world, i cannot compare the Starlight to a Ritz -Carlton it is not fair. It is not a hotel with room service but the service is excellent.
The rooms are new and clean and staff will take care of any issue if you ask them to. The arcade across the street makes it a great family vacation spot because kids have a place close by to go when you are in between activities or if the weather is bad.
The parking complaint is a little strange at best. Parking in that entire area is at a premium and each guest is guaranteed a spot. I have stayed at other properties and have had to park blocks away because guests have had friends come and take all parking spaces. The hotel has shared parking and asks the guest in the spot near the street to leave your key at the desk so THEY can move your car for you. They valet it for you, no complaint with me. I am happy to have a spot.
and not be inconvenienced everytime someone needs to leave. I just call the desk and tell them I am leaving and they meet me at the spot.
The bed does have a plastic matress protector, but I know they are clean and protected. Many small motels/ hotels have bed bug issues. I will tolerate the cover to avoid an unwanted guest in my suitcase.
Rooms are exactly as pictured, and overall for the area(small beach town) it is a great stay. The beach is the high light, clean, soft, white sand with plenty of lifeguards.
If you are looking for a thriving metropolis this is not it. If you want releaxation and super beach days you found a pearl at the shore!

Room Tip: When you come to the Starlight bring all you need for the beach, and if you are in suite bring anyth...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We planned to stay one week while visting friends who live in Manaloking. The reviews we read were all glowing, but the place was a disaster. The first room we were given had water leaking from the retro-fitted air conditioner and had lots of noise from the pool. The manger gave us another room farther away from the pool area. The room was never cleaned properly, the towels were shabby and small.There was no place to hang your wet beach clothes/towels in the room. Most guests draped their beach towels and dirty underwear on the ouside balconeys for all to see! The afternoon pass-time involved sitting outside your room in a white plastic chair and smoking a cigar. There was not enough parking, so we were required to "turn in our keys" to the office so that the car could be moved as others may need to get out of the double-parked assigned slots. The Motel was not on the beach, but on a busy street with lots of road noise most of the night and a mini-golf property across the street that stayed open after 11 some nights. We concur with other recent reviews re dirty rooms and wifi. The plastic mattress cover on the bed was miserable to sleep on and the bedspread had numerous gross stains. Every morning was like the movie "Ground Hog Day"--when would it be over? A sad stay at "the shore."

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
StarlightHotel, Owner at Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
in response to your review, I believe that since we were rated as one of the Best Small Family Motels, customers are assuming that we are a Hotel/Resort, which we are not. We are a family run Motel one block from the beach, which is stated throughout our website. The plastic mattress covers, you mentioned, are for your benefit as, upon arrival, you will be assured that the mattress is completely sanitary. Although we try to please all of our guests, sometimes an establishment is unable to.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is our first and last time at this Motel. We were afraid to use the grounds due to the aggressive crowd in the shared courtyard and pool area. This seems to be tolerated by management bc even after arrests were made, the same were allowed to return the next day. We were unable to use the shared area bc the regulars consumed the space all day and night. The beds were very uncomfortable. The pool has a dirt ring around it 4 inches think....gross! Too many options at this price....go elsewhere. Not for family/children.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
StarlightHotel, Owner at Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
In response to your review, we have been family owned and run for 40 years this summer and my sister and I are activity involved in the running of our establishment. Unfortunately, there are times when dealing with the public that you are unable to make everyone happy.

You were down during the time that the apartments and motel were filled with customers that have met over 30 years ago and plan the same week each year. Personally I have known them since I was 13 years old and now we are 50 plus. The aggressive crowd was in fact one person. It was a son of a customer that has been coming for several years. The son, who was not staying with us and was asked to leave the premises and not return. The parents who were staying with us were not asked to leave. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a nice experience at our establishment.
Henryville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hotel is very clean and better than the typical shore motel. The rooms are modern with plenty of closet/storage. The air cond was great and the bathroom is well laid out. Check in was easy and pleasant. The location is great with an arcade across the street and 2 great delis down the block. Front desk was pleasant. There was a great bakery a few blocks away. The beach costs 7 bucks a day though. Overall a better than average shore motel. Their mattresses could use upgrading. They have no support but are doable for a few nights. We had the standard motel room and it was roomy and pleasant. I think you will have a pleasant experience!

Paterson, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My children and I spend the weekend in this motel and from the very start Kim was fantastic. I never been to such a relaxing family oriented atmosphere then in this hotel. I rented a suite and we had a blast. The rooms were spacious and clean. The pool was very clean and ready for the kids to go in when it stated it opened. The staff was very friendly and available if you needed them. Their is a arcade directly across the street from the motel which was perfect since it was raining when I arrived. It gave the kids something to do. The beach is a block away which was perfect for me because I didn't want to drive anywhere and there is plenty of places to eat in the area. This place was everything I was looking for and more. I will be staying here again in August for a week.

Room Tip: Stay in the suites if your staying more then a weekend. There is a stove, washer and dryer and a ful...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Clark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed for just one night, we had a lux suite-looks exactly as in photos, VERY clean and we were allowed to check in early at 11:00am.since the room was already available. Everything worked no problems at all! Pool was clean and refreshing and down the street to the beach checked out by 11:00 am and was told we could stay to use the pool. Already recommended to friends and family. Only negitive would be the mattresses were not very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tralee, Kerry, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Although the rooms are clean, the beds were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. The best description is that they crunched when you got into them. Don't twist in the bed because you'll wake everyone up.

The crowds that arrived for the weekend were mmmmmm, let me just say one bunch were drinking Tequila at one table and another were drinking rum. The music pumping didn't have much consideration for other guests.

Happy to be out of there!!

• Stayed June 2012
StarlightHotel, Owner at Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
We pride ourselves in how clean, and new the entire establishment is. However, when dealing with brand new mattresses, one may need to get used to. We are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ortley Beach
Days Inn - Toms River / Seaside Heights
Days Inn - Toms River / Seaside ...
#14 of 41 in Seaside Heights
Bay Breeze Motel
Bay Breeze Motel
#5 of 41 in Seaside Heights
4.0 of 5 stars 178 reviews

Been to Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!