Gemma and Mati were friendly hosts, but as a whole, their homestay ranks among the worst accommodation experiences of my life.
Terrible location, run-down rooms/facilities, bad concierging.
The location -- Mimpi Manis is 30 minutes' (HOT or rainy) walk out of town. It's still loud with passing cars by night, and it doesn't feel nicely secluded, but it is a trek. They offer motorbikes ($3) and complimentary drop-off/pick up, which is nice but totally necessary, and you're still much better off with a place on/near the beach, so as not to schedule your day around pickup.
The room was really bad. Drippy paper ceilings, shower with no pressure and NO HOT WATER, they hadn't bothered to clean up the bugs, no AC -- and no screens on the windows, so in muggy mosquito season with the room at a humid 80 F, I had to rig a fan-under-the-mosquito-net solution to just barely fall asleep.
Lastly, the advice we got wasn't great, and was kinda suspect. Mati is well connected in Kuta and directed us exclusively to establishments run by his friends, some of which were good and others not. When we left and they helped us book a ferry to Bali, it was, we later found out, the "slow" trip, that took a solid 4 additional hours. That we had a choice was never discussed.
Lastly, as a "homestay", Mimpi Manis offers no cultural experience. It's just a western-style house where people sit around watching TV all day. So there's no reason to subject yourself to the terrible value accommodation.
(Kuta Paradise looked way nicer, by the way, if you need an alternative. We never got to see the rooms there, but from the outside, it looked really clean and nice.)
- Also Known As:
- Mimpi Manis Homestay Hotel Lombok
- Mimpi Manis Homestay Hotel
- Mimpi Manis Homestay Kuta, Lombok
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mimpi Manis is a small family run homestay, owned & run by a British woman & her Indonesian husband, Gemma & Made will make you as comfortable as possible & make every effort to ensure that you get the best out of what Kuta & its surrounds has to offer.Mimpi Manis is situated a little under 2km north of Kuta. Mimpi Manis serve food between the hours of 7am - 8pm Mimpi Manis offer a free orientation tour to guests booking a minimum of 3 nights.Mimpi Manis rent motorbikes for guests to get in and out of Kuta and to the surrounding beaches which are even more beautiful than Kuta Beach itself.Mimpi Manis can arrange private transfers to and from any where on the island can arrange tickets on the tourist shuttle bus to most destinations on Lombok, Sumbawa & Bali. ... more less