“Excellent burgers” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

It was the 4th of July so we thought it was appropriate to try this place which advertises the best burgers and dogs in CR. We all had burgers and all 6 agree that the burgers were great. One had the bacon cheeseburger, he thought the thick-cut bacon was better than the traditional cut. I liked the thick cut tomato and onion but other may prefer thinner slices. The chili fries plate was huge and the chili is just what you would expect from Texas chili, chunks, no beans and hot. The wing dings were reported to be good as well although I didn't try it myself. The owner came out and talked about how tender his all USDA beef is compared to the local grass-fed beef. I'd agree with him, the steak I had at The Springs resort previously was really shoe-leather chewy, the one at Benedictu's in La Fortuna was good but the meat itself is still on the chewy side.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Jose, California
“STAY AWAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

My husband and I visited Costa Rica driving to the Arenal area from the Nicoya Peninsula, we realized we were starving and needed a break, and my husband chose Mavericks,they advertised barbecue and we were curious what Costa Rican barbecue would be like. We had great local home cooked cuisine at SODA's. The owner immediately came up to our table and began to tell us why he left Orange County. It wasn't right wing enough for him and he is a serious tea-bagger. We ordered our hamburgers, and learned that Costa Rican Beef is terrible as per the owner (IT's NOT!!!) and that he imports all his beef from the USA. Costa Rican beef is fabulous. It's lean, grass fed and often organic. Instead we got super greasy raw hamburgers. My husband took an enormous bite of his, but I sent mine back to be cooked more. They brought it back in approximately one second, so it was not cooked more. I didn't eat it, which saved me. The owner saw this and we told him why and rather than not charge us he charged us full price. He also refused to speak Spanish and commented on how his "help" needs to learn English. My husband was terribly sick the rest of the trip and I was fine. I am enbarassed that this guy has this place and that the Costa Ricans will think this is what Americans are like. Hopefully it will close soon!!

• Visited May 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Been to Mavericks? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mavericks, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.