“Weekend Break” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
English Lady
“Weekend Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We recently stayed for a 2 night break at this hotel and were very happy with it. We did'nt have breakfast so cannot comment but did have a couple of bar snacks and the food was good. The staff were were very attentive and looked after us very well. Our room was nicely decorated and spotless, as were the public rooms. The hotel is right in the country the grounds are well kept and yes its an old building but kept very nice. We would go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for my friends wedding and my partner was the Dj. Ruth, the general manager asked that we take down the equipment at the end of the night rather than the next day and we agreed. However, the restaurant manager told us at the end of the night to leave the equipment there and collect it in the morning as everyone was leaving,so we did. In the morning when my partner went to collect the equipment Ruth thought it was appropriate to shout at him, telling him he should have moved the equipment and that she was disappointed. She was extremely rude to him infront of others. I decided to speak to her myself about this as it had upset us both. She proceeded to be rude to me and when I asked for her managers contact number she told me there was no point in contacting him as he would agree with her!! She then decided to walk away from me as I was in mid conversation with her. I was shocked that she thought it was ok to treat guests this way so I asked for the area manager to contact me. A few weeks later I recieved an email from a Mr Matthew Thorndale-Finn telling me I had until 3pm that day to contact him as he was going home and he would pass this on to someone else!!! Again to me this is pretty shocking customer service and showed that they didnt really care about my experience. I still have heard nothing and since have informed friends and family about this incident. I wont be returning to this hotel and neither will friends and family that were there that day. Its a nice building, just a shame about the staff!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
lordhaldon, Deputy to the Group Manager at BEST WESTERN Lord Haldon Country House Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
As one of the South West’s foremost wedding venues we often have little time between what can sometimes be two or more weddings each weekend. Each must be perfectly special, unique, and follow each bridal couples instructions to the letter – this alone is our objective and what we have become renowned for. Therefore it is particularly important that third party suppliers, such as the author of this grossly exaggerated comment, remove their equipment in-line with what was agreed, i.e. by 9:30AM not almost 10:30AM when the room was required for another wedding. The DJ was originally asked to move his equipment the night before but was further accommodated by the Assistant Manager so as to assist him; despite this the equipment was not moved as agreed. We could not allow the following days wedding to be disrupted in any way owing to another’s unprofessional behaviour and ill time keeping. We most profusely dispute any suggestion that the General Manager was impolite. The DJ, rather than his accompanying partner, was simply asked that he remove his equipment, particularly after the further deadline had expired and the next party were now waiting in the wings. The partner of the DJ raised a dispute as to this practise and was politely informed that in this regard the General Manager is addressing a supplier who has failed in his obligation. One cannot assume the higher rank of guest over supplier when it better suits their favour, it’s simply not fair. This matter, now bizarrely 3 months hence, is largely blown out of proportion and is unnecessary. The details of the Group Manager were provided by, myself, his deputy in his absence following the request. The partner of the DJ failed to call me by 3:30PM, the time I was due to leave that day, or since. Details were provided for the Group Manager among other means of contact, including my own, so as to amicably settle this matter and yet no such response has been made. Further attempts to make contact were made to no avail. At the end of the day, the bride and groom and their guests were all exceptionally complimentary and we will continue to ensure efficient timings in our operation so our guests receive the very best experience during their stay. Suppliers are, regrettably, secondary in priority to this as it should be and always shall. Matthew Thorndale-Finn.
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

The great thing about the Best Western chain is that you never have any idea what to expect. I'd chose this hotel for the simple reason that it was a handy stopover, and it looked reasonable enough. However, not only could we find no fault, but the delightful staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. Yes, the furnishings are old-fashioned, but it's not at all shabby - and it's thoroughly unpretentious. The setting is marvellous - there's a fabulous view from the front lawn, and the grounds are beautifully kept. The rooms were warm, the beds were comfy, and you get sheets and blankets rather than duvets, but the quality of the sheets and blankets is excellent. No, you don't get fancy toiletries, it's just the usual Best Western stuff, but I'd exchange all the fancy toiletries in the world for such top-class service.

We checked in very late, as usual, but the receptionist had rung ahead to know if we would like some sandwiches, and said she'd keep the barman on so that we could have a drink on arrival. The sandwiches were plated up for us and ready in the bar when we arrived and were nicely presented and generously filled. Not only that, she had some dog biscuts for my little dog, and gave me the code for the door in case I needed to walk the dog after they locked up. Breakfast was great and clearly freshly cooked - the sausages hadn't been swimming about in grease since dawn!

The service and courtesy at this hotel was completely outstanding. Five of us stayed there, and all are in complete agreement. It's definitely on our list to go back there. The receptionist's name is Ruth - I hope she gets a really decent Christmas bonus because she's a star.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Great location but everything else was very average. Bedrooms are very "tired" and definitely need updating. Bed was lumpy with springs making a noise every time you moved. Make sure you don't have a late breakfast as the "hot" buffet is set out at the beginning of breakfast time and by 9 o'clock has gone cold and past it.

Room Tip: Ask for a countryside view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

This is my first review but I feel compelled to write it as I have had such a lovely time.
Set in beautiful surroundings Lord Haldon Hotel is a real treat . Not only does it offer a relaxing friendly atmosphere and an excellent restaurant (Nicola is a warm outgoing person who moves heaven and earth to make your night run smoothly) but it also has a business / conference facility suitable for meetings and presentations . I will certainly be returning both for business stop offs and also with my family and the dogs! Highly recommended .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

It's the second time we have stayed here, and the the Hotel and rooms are great. The service in the restaurant is not. It seems they do not change the menu, so you have the same choice all week. One night we had to wait one and a half hours to be served with our meal. On our last day I ordered porage as normal and had to wait half an hour for it, I make at home in two and a half minutes.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
exmouth, united kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

My wife and I chose this special package as part of our celebrations for our Golden Wedding Anniversary. On arrival at the Hotel, set in magnificent Devon countryside, we were shown to the Bridal suite - a beautiful large room with a superb en suite bathroom and wonderful views from the windows - where a bottle of sparkling wine and a small box of chocolates awaited us. Our table for dinner in the main restaurant was most tastefully set, complete with a lit candelabrum and, for our three course dinner we had free choice from the a la carte menu. The food and the service were both excellent. Afterwards, we were served coffee with mints in the lounge. A very fine buffet full English breakfast was available to us in the restaurant on the following morning. At a total cost of £175 for the whole package, we felt that this was superb value. We will willingly repeat this experience.

Room Tip: The superb Bridal suite is part of the package. Pets allowed elsewhere but not in this room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Lord Haldon Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!