“great service :D” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Beach Resort

You added Sun Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sun Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zone Touristique BP 47 | REPORTED CLOSED, Bir El Bey 0205, Tunisia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bir El Bey
London, United Kingdom
“great service :D”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

we went as a couple, last minute, expecting it to be terrible from the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised.
all staff were welcoming, and helpfull, to the extent of the receptionist helping us find a way to the airport, after missing our transferres, we had no money left, and she really pulled some strings, and we got there just in time.
the food was very good considering we were ther for 10 days, on all inclusive, we did get slightly bored of it, but to be expected. we ate out a few times to break it up, so all in all very good.....no stomach bugs of any sort!
the rooms were adequate, and the cleaning staff were very efficiant.
the excursions are a must, good days out, and stops u from getting cabin fever, unless u like doing a whole lot of nothing.
the 'animation team' were great , providing entertainment each night and getting us involved in activitys.
outside the resort was slightly intimidating, but once we got past that we ventured out on the train, to various places, (forgive the spelling) Sidi borsaied was especialy charming, with white buildings and blue doors and cobbled streets were a lovely thing to see.
overall a difrent, but brilliant holiday.

Room Tip: the staff were happy to change our room , from twin to double, and facing the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I recently stayed at Sun Beach in September 2012 and can honestly say I have never been so disgusted in all my life. I cannot believe people still have this hotel on offer. This is not a four star hotel! It does not even deserve a 1 star. The food was so terrible for 10 days I did not eat a thing but bread and water which we had to buy from the shop. There are flies everywhere including all over the food which is put out hours before the restaurant is opened giving them plenty of time to crawl all over it.
On the second day my sister was so hungry she decided to eat something. Big mistake! She had food poisoning so bad we had to go to a pharmacy in Tunis and buy medicine. We did not eat the food there again. Instead we bought our own crisps etc which is pretty poor for an all inclusive! The alcohol was undrinkable except for the Heineken which again you had to pay for! Anything else was served in dirty plastic beakers that made even water taste funny!
The entertainment was dreadful and was more for the Russians and Polish people that invaded the hotel. Unfortunately staying in your room was not an alternative as it was so infested with mosquitos and gnats you got bitten to death! The electricity worked intermittently and we had to keep asking at reception for them to fix it.
We did go out a couple of times but we found the places very busy and were constantly pestered by men literally dragging you into their shops. It was very dirty and the woman were very rude! You could not go directly outside the hotel as there was not much but waste ground. We did decide to go in search of some food one day. Twenty minutes away there is a few shops but we got followed by men and hackled at so promptly returned to the hotel.
All in all the experience was very traumatic and I did not enjoy it one bit. Unfortunately the weather was not great either making it even more depressing. We did try to change our flights back but there was no availability so we had to stay 10 nights. I'm just glad we didn't book 2 weeks. The few other English people there all had food poisoning and one woman was so ill she had to stay in bed the whole time and when she told them at reception they did nothing. It's safe to say I would never return here and recommend that people take the reviews on here for there word and go somewhere else!
We booked with Purple Travel and they should be ashamed to have this hotel on there books! Jail would have been a more pleasant stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Bir El Bey hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We Stayed at Sun Beach in June 2012 for 12 days,Pictures look lovely,I took all the precautions not to get ill,but I was bitten by so many gnats in the room,was in bed for 4 days with bad stomach,Food looked nice but it looked like the left overs were reheated and dished up every day for a week,its a shame the look was better than the taste.The staff were not helpful and the Tour rep,we see him once and that was because of the pressure we put on him.The rooms were not cleaned,ring marks on the dressing table, dirt up the walls and bathroom door,permenant leak in the bathroom,kept losing our water -hot and cold.Although there is a bank on the resort we had trouble getting our travellers cheques changed.Outside the resort was just a mass of building sites -not a pretty site,We wanted to stay in our room until we were due to leave and after going to reception on several occaisions were told they would let us have another room for 25 diner approx £12.50,this room was worse than our room and as it was vacated that morning they had not even bothered to clean it.Never again,we have travelled to a lot of countries,this one has put us off so much.after this experience we have decided to never travel abroad again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

...Firstly Sun Beach Club Playa Hotel, Bir El Bey IS closed, however it is joint with Carribbean World which is listed as in Borj Cedria.  I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights 12-15 October 2011 with my Fiance.  I booked this hotel about 6 weeks before stay.  I was looking for an 'AI' hotel reasonabiliy close to Tunis and this seemed to be the only suitable one.  I had read a few reviews before I went which were concerning.  One of which was some else saying that this hotel is in fact closed, after reading this I contacted the company I made the booking with to check this out and they told me the hotel is fully operational and there is just a few rooms which are closed.
This review is really for Club Carribean World the only part of Sun Beach which is open is there swimming pool which is easily accessed and usable from Caribbean World.

-Room
The rooms are chalet / bungalow style (although looking at pictures of Sun Beach it is all in hotels rooms, which I would have preferred hence why I didn't initially book Caribbean World for the fact they have bungalows not rooms in hotel).
The bungalow was fine, it was spacious and clean, double bed, dressing table, TV and nice bathroom.

-Food
The worst!  I am certainly no picky eater.  I would not say the food was 'inedable' but it was not very nice at all.  For instance the milk for cereal at breakfast was sour and warm, they served baked beans, olives and cauliflower as a hot choice for breakfast and made to order omlettes which were cooked in a black burnt frying pan and consisted of nothing.  Lunch and dinner like most AI hotels was pretty much the same, salad - yet this was never replenished, I think it was the most popular dish in this hotel as everything else just looked horrible.  I did try other food, grilled veg - I don't know how they got that wrong but it tasted burnt yet wasn't, the majority of the other dishes were Tunisian speciality which I like to try (only tried once) my fiance is Tunisian and he did not like any of the dishes here.  The pizzas were made to order and they were ok.  The restaurant is plan and simple and you can sit where you like inside or outside (you don't have the same waiter).

-Drinks
Beer, red, white & rose wine, and bouka are the only alcoholic drinks available on AI.  They do sell bottles of Golden Brau and Heiniken I think 2,500 TND  (£1.25) per bottle.  The AI beer is ok.  The white wine was like drinking vinigar (I know you don't get the best of the best in AI but this was below the cheapest wine about (if thats what it was!)
What I disliked is the plastic beakers that you are given for drinking outside.  In other AI hotels I have stayed they have used disposible cups which I think is much more hygenic than reusable plastic beakers with dirty and scratch rims.

-Swimming Pools and Gardens
The swimming pool appeared to be clean and the surrounding areas were tidy.  The entertainment around the main pool was average.  The swimming pool for the Sun Beach Hotel was accessable and usable we just came across it whilst walking the grounds and I recognised it from the pictures when I booked Sun Beach, there were no other guests around it at all.
There are waterslides in the Caribbean World, however...... you have to pay 5 TND pp per day!  Which I don't think it makes sense considering the fact it is a splash resort!  Needless to say there were about 2 or 3 people using them.

-Beach
The beach wasn't looked after at all it was full of seaweed and had not been cleared like most private hotel beaches. It was a little bit slopey but just slightly. It is quite a walk from the hotel approx 400 yards, this did not bother us, but again something to be aware of.

-Entertainment
The entertainment is average, the majority of the hotels in Tunisia use the same entertainment programme so what you are seeing whether how good or bad it is is not necessarily down to the hotel but down to how much effort the animation team make of it.  These were quite a good and friendly bunch.
There are a few games machines in the hotel and there is a room with 6 pool tables, however each one of them were missing at least one ball.

-Outside the Hotel
I ready a review before I went to this hotel describing the surrounding area as being like 'Bosnia' and some people saying that some taxi's won't even come to the area Borj Cedria / Bir El Bey.  This is not the case I can only assume the guest who made this review had never been to Tunisia (unless they had stayed in Hammamet or PEK which is purpose built).  This is Tunisia there are a lot of barren areas and lots of litter which is what this is like outside it is not unusual.  Re the taxi's the reason that a lot of taxi's don't go into the area is because this hotel is the only hotel here, and if it is off peak then there is obviously not much need for taxi's therefore the drivers are not always going to drop someone off at a hotel is there is not much chance of them picking someone up and making money on their return journey unless they charge you a exceptional amount.
There is nothing outside the hotel in means of shops or anything at all really, I was already aware of the location as we just used this as it was a 40 mins train ride from Tunis Centre. The train station would be a good 25 min walk away, we did use a taxi as my Fiance new how to get hold of one whicih parks up outside train station.
I think there were only another 2 families that were English staying in the hotel. It was mainly Polish, Russian, German and French. One more thing, they do not have a night club in the hotel so in the main show bar they play music for the adults from 2300-0200 which is rather noisey if you are staying in a room near the main hotel which we were.
All in all the hotel was not aweful although the food was.  I personally wouldn't stay here again, but if you have already booked this hotel then enjoy it but just beware about the food (it is cooked properly just tastes aweful).

Room Tip: Rooms 1000 - 1100 are reasonably close to the main hotel, which are useful if you have a downpour ye...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of time before. When we arrived in May 2001 the hotel was closed. Staff said it had been closed for several months. We were put in the hotel next door. It was like an 18-30 nightmare with awful food. I booked with Expedia. I wrote a review after I returned to warn others the Sun Beach was closed. Expedia did not put my review on their website!

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I actually won this trip so did not have to put my hand in my own pocket. I think its good for families and if you are looking for some sun and not go out sightseeing too much. Rooms, clean and service was good, restaurant was a bit pricy but they had a captured market. Great for a sun, pool family holiday but not a single guy !!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Don't choose this hotel If you don't want to spoil your holidays. I don't know where to start from. It's so bad that It would take me several pages to explain myself. Trying to summarize, these are the main points:
- The hotel is totally isolated. I already knew this but when I realized of my bad choice I couldn't escape to anywhere.
- The food is ridiculously bad. You are eating same stuff for the whole week, re-heated, with different sauces... One day you have chicken legs, the next day they cook (with leftovers) chicken casserole, then pasta with chicken, then chicken soup, then chicken cream.
- I can guarantee two things you will have during your stay every single day. One is the sun (lovely) and the other one is the diarrhea (it won't let you to enjoy the sun very much as you will spend you holidays running trying to get your room)
- The hotel is not a four stars one. Maybe three and I would say two.
- Staff is mean, have bad manners, unfriendly, rude. If you order a drink with ice, it may be they throw the ice on your face (for some reason they don't like you to ask for ice)
- You have to pay for the water. The drinks are disgusting. Beer is impossible, juice is squash, wine.... you can call it like that if you want. Maybe they afraid the tourists can get drunk... you won't, deffinitely.
- Everything is very expensive. You can bargain but after two hours doing it you will get the stuff still expensive and it may be they insult you. You better go to Matalan or Wilkinsons. They have better prices and they are nicer too.
- The beach is alright. I'm Spanish and I can tell you that many of our beaches are much better, with very friendly people and clean.
- The entartaining is tacky and the entertainers are a pain in the neck. They are not funny at all and they intend to take your kids and they disattend them. Really boring stuff.

Positive things: Room size, swimming pool, sun, beach.

Seriously, If you have any doubt, let me help you. You can contact me and I will explain everything. Be careful. Keep away.

• Liked — Sun everyday, Well-sized rooms, swimming pool.
  • Disliked — Food, staff, hotel, drinks, not english or spanish speakers.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sun Beach Resort? Share your experiences!