Our 2-day stay at the Black Orchid Resort was wonderful in every way. Upon arrival at the Belize International Airport we were met by Dexter who drove us the relatively short distance to the resort. The staff and accommodations were perfect. After a long day of travel is was great to be able to grab a cold drink and sit in the lovely pool that rests along the Belize River. From there we were able to watch the many birds in the area and admire the gorgeous flowers and the beauty around us. Later in the day we spoke to Doug, the owner, who mentioned that it was possible to take a trip out to the Community Baboon Sanctuary that evening. What a wonderful experience! At the sanctuary we were introducted to Robert, who was our guide and led us along the trails in search of the black howler monkeys. We eventually came upon a small troop of 1 male, 2 females, and 2 young. The monkeys are familiar with Robert and he was able to coax them down to take small bits of banana from our hands. A very unique and wonderful opportunity. After a long day we had a great meal at the restaurant and a good nights sleep. The next day we decided to try the zip line and cave tubing tour, which took a total of approximately 5 hours, including travel time between the resort and Jaguar Paw. Ryan was our driver, and like the others we'd met at the resort was very helpful in telling us about the area and answering all of our questions (my husband is a baseball nut and had a lot of questions about the game of cricket which Ryan was able to answer!). He set us up with 2 tour guides who made us first-timers feel very comfortable and we greatly enjoyed the 7 zip lines we completed. What I appreciated most was that we were not rushed and the guides were personally working only with our family, giving us their full attention. After the zip line we immediately moved to the cave tubing with a new guide. Again, we were given a lot of information about the jungle, various trees used for medicinal purposes, animals that we encountered along the way, etc. Everyone seemed to be willing to share their knowledge and appreciation of the natural beauty and wonders of Belize. The river was low and slow (it's the dry season), but still it felt good to be in the water and cooling off after the zip line and short hike to get to the start of the tubing. We were given hard hats with lights and life vests to wear, but given the conditions that we encounted, they really didn't seem necessary (low water levels, wide cave with little chance of banging one's head). But the extra safety measures were appreciated. I highly recommend that you arrange tours through the Black Orchid Resort to take advantage of their knowledge of the area and guides. We ate all of our meals at the resort and loved the food and service. The staff is friendly and very accomodating. The first day we were at the pool without towels, and one of the young women approached me and handed me 4 beach towels. It may seem small, but that gesture set the tone of kindness and friendliness that we met from everyone associated with the resort.
In addition to the excellent food and service, we also enjoyed our room, which was an upper level overlooking the Belize River. As soon as the sun came up the animals started to move and the sounds of the jungle intensified--a great way to wake up and begin the day. We did take the complimentary paddle boat and kayaks out for a short ride along the river, which was fun. I wish we would have chosen to stay another day or two at the resort, but our time was soon up and we were driven back to Belize City to catch our plane to Ambergris Caye. Our driver (whose name I may not have gotten, but who I appreciated and enjoyed speaking to each day) made sure we were checked into our Tropic Air flight before he left us. His kindness epitomized my experience at Black Orchid Resort, which made me feel welcome from the moment we arrived until we departed. I highly recommend that anyone planning a trip to Belize schedule several days at the Black Orchid Resort somewhere during your time in Belize, since I felt that once we crossed over to the island, we were no longer in the "real" Belize, although the island of Ambergris Caye was lovely and we enjoyed our time there as well. But if you want a more authentic experience, stay at the Black Orchid Resort and schedule your tours from there. It was there that we learned the most about the diversity of people and animals of Belize, and experienced the subtropical rainforest that is a natural wonder that has to be seen to be believed. I don't believe we would have had the same experience had we spent our entire vacation on the caye and took tours from there to the mainland. There is so much more to Belize yet to see, and I can't wait to return to experience more. And a stay at the Black Orchid Resort will definitely be on my itinerary!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belize has such contrasts from the beaches to the jungle to the Mayan ruins, from the rivers to the Cayes, a good base from which to see it all, is the Black Orchid Resort on the banks of the Belize Old River on the outskirts of Burrell Boom Village, just fifteen minutes from the international airport so it’s easy to reach and easy to leave from. Just a short distance away from Belize City and the airport, the resort is also within about an hour’s drive of most of the country’s mainland attractions, making it a convenient launching point for your vacation adventures. We provide accommodations with an ambiance of environmental radiance, alluring air conditioned rooms and immaculate, quiet and safe grounds. We are an excellent alternative to Belize City and gateway to all Belize has to offer; with knowledgeable guides and transportation for snorkeling, deep sea fishing, cave tubing, Maya Ruin tours, complimentary international airport shuttle, free use of kayaks, canoes, peddle boats and free wireless internet access. Your safety is our business. Come let us show you Belize ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, T4B, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Black Orchid Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Orchid Hotel Burrell Boom
- Black Orchid Belize City
- Black Orchid Resort Belize/Burrell Boom