We were going to Ambergris Caye on vacation but wanted to spend a day on the mainland to visit the Belize Zoo and avoid Belize City at the same time. Based on the Trip Advisor reviews we stayed at the Black Orchid. It was perfect for our needs.
We were easily met at the airport for a quick ride back to the hotel. Once there we had a nice swim in the pool and a very good meal in the restaurant, including the Belizean version of Chicken Korma, which was excellent. Their breakfast, especially the fresh fruit and juices, was excellent too. Try the watermelon juice. The hotel itself was not "fancy" or modern but was a nice, clean, simple hotel / motel kind of place. Our room was large, the beds comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean. The grounds were cool too set right on the Belize River w/ Howler Monkeys and iguanas all over the place. But the best thing about the hotel was the staff. Everyone was uber-friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were all happy. As we were there w/ young kids they showed them a lot of attention, which they of course loved.
The reason we stayed here though was so we could use it as a base to visit the Belize Zoo before heading to Ambergris Caye and this was certainly the highlight of the stay and one of the best parts of our trip to Belize. The guide we had, Ryan, was friendly, educational and entertaining. I would highly recommend you ask for him by name. He guided us through the Zoo in about three hours, we saw pretty much everything and he was good at finding some of the more difficult animals to see, including the jaguar, ocelot, marguays, puma, monkeys, etc., etc. He was really good at "calling" the howler monkeys and getting them to respond back, which was very cool. It's amazing how loud they are. And according to Ryan... you can hear the loud ones from a mile away.
Although we were only here the night, when my kids are older I'd come back for an extra couple of days to use it as a base to also tour The Baboon Sanctuary, Lamanai, Altun Ha, etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belize has such contrasts from the beaches to the jungle to the Mayan ruins, from the rivers to the Cayes, a good base from which to see it all, is the Black Orchid Resort on the banks of the Belize Old River on the outskirts of Burrell Boom Village, just fifteen minutes from the international airport so it’s easy to reach and easy to leave from. Just a short distance away from Belize City and the airport, the resort is also within about an hour’s drive of most of the country’s mainland attractions, making it a convenient launching point for your vacation adventures. We provide accommodations with an ambiance of environmental radiance, alluring air conditioned rooms and immaculate, quiet and safe grounds. We are an excellent alternative to Belize City and gateway to all Belize has to offer; with knowledgeable guides and transportation for snorkeling, deep sea fishing, cave tubing, Maya Ruin tours, complimentary international airport shuttle, free use of kayaks, canoes, peddle boats and free wireless internet access. Your safety is our business. Come let us show you Belize ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, T4B, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Black Orchid Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Orchid Hotel Burrell Boom
- Black Orchid Belize City
- Black Orchid Resort Belize/Burrell Boom