Like the last reviewer we stayed for one night on our way elsewhere, and we were very pleased with the time we spent there. I selected this sight because I had heard the Howler monkeys can be heard there the evening and early mornings. I love to listen to them and they didn't disappoint me! In fact, while we were waiting for our dinner the waitress, Jasmine, told me to come outside to see. There was a family in the tree just outside the door.
We arrived at the Black Orchid about 11am giving us plenty of time to explore the area. The resort is on the river and they provide kayak's. We spent about 3 hours on the river fishing and photographing the sights. We enjoyed the birds, iguana's and other lizards, flowers, trees and crocodiles. The fly fishing was tough but my husband was able to catch a few different fish.
The accommodations are very nice, clean and adequate. The bed was comfortable and there was air-conditioning in the room. The food gourmet but it was good and resonantly priced. The grounds were well maintained and the pool was beautiful (although I didn't get in). The complimentary breakfast the next morning was in the porch area overlooking the river and included lots of fresh fruit.
What makes this place so special is the staff. Everyone we came in contact with was professional, friendly and genuine. From the airport driver to the guy who got the kayak out for us, everyone seemed so happy to help you. The dining staff both Jasmine and the guy who from back to Belize from New York (sorry we didn't get his name) was super nice and shared information about the area.
On our return from our island vacation we had a 6 hour layover at the airport. We called the Black Orchid and asked for a tour of the "Baboon Reserve." Our driver, Tony, was a ton of fun. He picked up water, oranges, and bananas for us on the way to the reserve and told stories/shared experiences along the drive. He will definitively make you smile.
I have worked in customer service for many years and I can tell you I would hire any of the Black Orchid staff in a heart beat! They made the trip very pleasant.
- Also Known As:
- Black Orchid Hotel Burrell Boom
- Black Orchid Hotel
- Black Orchid Belize City
- Black Orchid Resort Belize/Burrell Boom
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belize has such contrasts from the beaches to the jungle to the Mayan ruins, from the rivers to the Cayes, a good base from which to see it all, is the Black Orchid Resort on the banks of the Belize Old River on the outskirts of Burrell Boom Village, just fifteen minutes from the international airport so it’s easy to reach and easy to leave from. Just a short distance away from Belize City and the airport, the resort is also within about an hour’s drive of most of the country’s mainland attractions, making it a convenient launching point for your vacation adventures. We provide accommodations with an ambiance of environmental radiance, alluring air conditioned rooms and immaculate, quiet and safe grounds. We are an excellent alternative to Belize City and gateway to all Belize has to offer; with knowledgeable guides and transportation for snorkeling, deep sea fishing, cave tubing, Maya Ruin tours, complimentary international airport shuttle, free use of kayaks, canoes, peddle boats and free wireless internet access. Your safety is our business. Come let us show you Belize ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, BookIt.com and Venere so you can book your Black Orchid Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.