“A gem of a place” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary
“A gem of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

After reading reviews about not staying in Belize City, I wholeheartedly agree. Staying at the Black Orchid Resort to begin our 2 week long trip was a great choice! They picked my family up at the airport, and made us feel welcome in their quiet, unassuming ways. The room was very clean and the beds quite comfortable. Having the river beside the resort made it a budding naturalist's paradise. Our children enjoyed talking to the family parrot (who-da-bird) that came & went as it pleased. There were many iguanas on site to run after. Our last 2 nights, we stayed at the Radisson, and ended up very sorry that we didn't go back to the Black Orchid.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Loveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at Black Orchid during my last visit to Belize on our last day in the country since the resort is only about 15 minutes or so from the International Airport. The rooms are spacious and very nicely appointed with a great view of the Belize River and birds just everywhere. Loved the dining room and bar which are inside a nice breezy patio area, again with birds and butterflies to entertain you. Nice big pool and nighttime bar that overlooks the water, great for unwinding from a day of touring the nearby Mayan Ruins, caving and other adventures that are very nearby.

The staff is first rate and willing to help you make the most of your time in Belize...there is so much to do and see. I recommend Black Orchid Resort is you want a very nice hotel close to Belize City, but out of town a bit. They will even take you right to the airport for no extra charge.

Room Tip: I like the rooms nearest the Belize River, great to drink a cup of coffee in the morning and watch t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sterling Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was the perfect setting for relaxing by the pool and enjoying the birds of Belize... as well as the howler monkeys! The staff was more than happy to share knowledge about the country/area, make cuisine suggestions, and set up (or provide) tours for many of the major attractions even if they are quite a drive away. The food was great, the room was clean and quiet (minus the howler monkeys - which I didn't necessarily mind) and I felt very safe there. I was alone the first night and my friend joined me for the second. During my short stay, everything was perfect. Many of the other guests were so helpful in making suggestions of how to spend my time and which cities to visit.

Room Tip: I would recommend one of the studios or one of the rooms in the house nearest the river.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at the Black Orchid for 5 days and had a fabulous experience. It is very relaxing and you feel taken care of immediately. We were met at the airport and were at the hotel in no time. The staff is awesome and very helpful. We were able to rent a car from them onsite on the days we wanted, and used their tour packages when we wanted. We had two rooms - one with a view of the river - and they were both very spacious. The grounds and facilities are spotless! They do an outstanding job of keeping everything well maintained. We thoroughly enjoyed the hammocks, watching the lizards and listening to the birds - we even had our own howler monkeys who visited sometimes in the morning. Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river - it has a great front porch!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Poland , NY USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Our one-night stay at Black Orchid was our one "luxury accomodation" during a recent 2 week trip to Belize. In other areas , we stayed at various cabins and lodges...all quite nice , but not as fancy as this.
Grounds are well-maintained and attractive. Personnel were friendly and accomodating. Food and drink were very good. Room was clean. No complaints whatsoever.
We would definitely stay there and again and recommend it highly to others.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

If you're expecting the usual, then I'm here to tell ya, that this ain't your mama's resort. I booked the Black Orchid by mistake, but was pleasantly surprised. The staff is wonderful and the food is great. The rooms are spacious and clean. What I'll say is that I was made to feel at home from the moment I was picked at the airport until my departure this morning.

My room wasn't ready when I arrived so I was visited the new bar/lounge area. And lucky for me I was just in time for a mini-wine tasting. Who knew Cashew Wine even existed and was as tasty as it is. Anyhoo, I got settled in shortly thereafter, took a run and got ready for dinner.

So here's my take on things were I to travel to Belize -- I'd spend a couple of days either coming or going at the Black Orchid Resort and have the staff arrange a couple of tours to go cave tubing, visiting ruins/archaeological sites or the zoo. A rental car is not a bad idea either, but be aware that Belizean drivers believe in getting where they're going in an expeditious manner. And, by all means visit Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker for some beach time and snorkeling or diving.

I'm just getting home so I may have to edit this review so it doesn't come as too cryptic. But I just mean to say that I'd highly recommend the Black Orchid Resort. Be aware that Belize is unspoiled and it should stay that way...mosquitoes and all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I am packing up to leave after a week at the Black Orchid in Boom - I've stayed here before, and every time I come to this beautiful little resort nestled on the Belize river-- it just gets better. They have built a new totally screened in lounge that hangs over the river; which I never wanted to leave. The birds and the howlers come right to your deck. This is a five star resort in every way!

Room Tip: This is a great spot to begin your travels through belize or over to the keys - and at the airport a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Black Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!