“First Class Marriott” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leicester Marriott Hotel

You added Leicester Marriott Hotel to your Saves list
Leicester Marriott Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Smith Way, Grove Park, Enderby, Leicester LE19 1SW, England   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Enderby
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“First Class Marriott”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott for one night for my husbands birthday.
On arrival we were a little daunted to find most of the hotel was booked out for a conference and the atrium reception was packed with the conference members having a buffet.
We were meeting family for lunch and there didn't seem anywhere for us to sit.
We didn't need to worry though as a very friendly,but professional member of waiting staff ,whos name I have unfortunately forgotten,found us a lovely comfy spot,even plumping the sofa cushions up before we sat down.
The lunch was very reasonably priced for a hotel of its class and the portions were very generous (none of us could manage to finish our meal) and very well presented.
We had a selection of dishes and we all commented on how delicious they were.
The rooms are very well presented with all the necessary facilities,the only thing I missed was a bathrobe,but presume they would be availible in a more superior room.
The beds were wonderfully comfortable with lovely bedlinen and fortunately breakfast the next morning was until11am as we found it hard to get out of bed.
If we had one small niggle it would be that we were given a letter on arrival and informed that the Mixx Restaurant would be closed that evening (sat) which i presume was due to the conference.
Food was availible in the lounge area and in your room,but I think most guests eating at the hotel would choose the main restaurant on a Saturday evening.
It didnt inconvienience us as we had booked a city restaurant,but I do think it would have been a courtesy to have been told before arrival.
We didn't however book direct with the hotel so this may have been why we weren't informed.
This point aside we had a fabulous stay and would say that you would not be dissapointed with a stay at the Leicester Marriott.
We will definately be back.Thankyou to all at The Marriott.

• Liked — Professional service and cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LeicesterMarriottGM, General Manager at Leicester Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2009
Many thanks for you kind feedback, I am delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your stay at the Leicester Marriott Hotel & I will be sharing your comments with all of the team, who will be equally delighted. I would really value the opportunity to discuss the closure of the Mixx Restaurant with you. On the date in question we had a large residential conference and only a small number of guests not associated with the event were in house, on this occasion we took a rare business decision to not open the Mixx; however I feel that your comments are fully justified & I will be reviewing them in detail with the management team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Hebrew first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

My wife, brother in law, his fiancee & myself booked in at the Marriott for the 31st Dec 2008 for a night's stay.

-Rooms were nice, clean and modern.
-Room service was a bit slow.
-Breakfast was OK, not to be recommended.

Overall the stay was comfortable!!!

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Room Service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LeicesterMarriottGM, General Manager at Leicester Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2009
Many thanks for your recent feedback, following your stay at the Leicester Marriott Hotel. It is my primary goal to ensure that guests fully enjoy all aspects of their stay at the hotel. With this in mind I would be delighted if you would call me at the hotel to discuss your experiences with breakfast and room service, to enable me to identify where where improvements can be made in these areas, thus ensuring that all guests have an exceptional stay.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Really modern, clean and comfortable hotel. The rooms are very modern with very large beds and a nice clean bathroom. The facilities in the hotel are very good with plenty of parking outside. I've stayed at the Hilton down the road and that simply is like a travelodge compared to the Marriot! Stay here, even if it does cost you a few pounds more. Definitely looking forward to staying again.

• Liked — Modern and Clean, good service.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LeicesterMarriottGM, General Manager at Leicester Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2009
Thank you for your recent comments & observations following your stay at the Leicester Marriott Hotel. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and both myself and my team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. With best wishes for 2009
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Great value for money - Im a fan of premier travel inns but this was only £20 quid more, when you take in to account breakfast, and worth every penny. My girlfriend was very impressed.

Nice big Christmas tree with lots of lights was the perfect welcome. Free parking at the weekend (not sure what happens in the week) and very easy to find, just off the M1.

Check-in staff were efficient and there was always a lift available to take you up to the rooms.

Room was big, bed massive with lots of soft cushions and a great mattress. Bathroom very clean and had a nice powerful shower.

Downstairs was a nice relaxed atmosphere with 2 or 3 places to eat and drink. Leicester city-center was only a few minutes away and there is a retail park opposite.

Always nice to go down for a hotel breakfast and this was no exception; lots of juice, tea and coffe, toast and pastries and a decent hot range too.

Only niggles: internet is at extra cost - considering how cheap the net is these days i really think its about time it was thrown in with the cost of the room. And we had to wait for 5-10 mins for sausages at breakfast - and they were only just cooked when they did come.

Special mention for Brendon on reception (helpful and friendly) and Georgia on room service (nice and bonnie).

• Liked — The bed, Christmas tree, staff efficiency
  • Disliked — Couldnt get free internet access
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LeicesterMarriottGM, General Manager at Leicester Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2008
Many thanks for your recent comments following your stay at the Leicester Marriott Hotel, it was great to read your kind observations. I have noted all of your comments for further discussion with the team at Leicester as it is my aim to ensure that all feedback is thoroughly discussed. I will pass on your special mentions to Brendon and Georgia.
With best wishes for the festive season.
Shrewsbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Modern Marriott with spacious reception/ bar/ lounge area.
Bedrooms are just as roomy, food is also very good- theme nights in the side bar (Tanners I think) are very reasonable buffet style afffairs. Service is very good too.
My only compalint would be that black pudding is not alway on the breakfast menu?

• Liked — It's a Marriott
  • Disliked — Liecester
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Leicester Marriott Hotel, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the the buffet evening in Tanners.
I have discussed your feedback regarding breakfast with our Executive Head Chef, with regard to the lack of Black Pudding, if you encounter this issue on future stays, please do not hesitate to ask a member of the team and where ever possible they will arrange for some to be freshly prepared.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here because he had a 'red letter day' booked close by.

At the time this was one of the classiest hotels we had ever stayed in and I really enjoyed my stay.

The bed was so comfortable!! The breakfast was amazing we had never seen such a large selection of food!

The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is the location - its randomly located on what appeared to be a business park!But other than that you could not fault anything - the service, food, accommodation, cleanliness - nothing!

Stayed April 2006
LeicesterMarriottGM, General Manager at Leicester Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2008
Many thanks for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Leicester Marriott, I personally review all Trip Advisor comments on a daily basis as they provide an excellent basis for me to plan the ongoing development of both staff and the overall service that we provide. In addition to this all feedback both negative and positive is communicated to the team.
Xaghra, Malta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

I stayed here recently with my wife (who just happens to be a Marriott Associate) and two teenage sons over a Friday and Saturday night. Having stayed at many Marriott establishments in the UK and abroad we had no reason to believe our experience would be anything less than the Marriott brand standard. Unfortunately this was not the case.

On checking in there was some confusion over whether breakfast was included in our room rate. What transpired was a very embarrassing discussion with the slightly pompous reception staff, which was only settled by consulting the reception manager TWICE! Breakfast was included. I was also a little confused as to why my wife was asked which department within Marriott she worked.

Although numerically adjacent, our two rooms were on different corridors and separated by several rooms. No more than 10 minutes after check-in, our sons were delivered several suits from dry cleaning - not theirs, suffice to say.

At breakfast the following morning, and after sitting for some time in the lobby we were escorted into the restaurant, only to be returned to the lobby as no table was actually available. Our waiter enquired if we would like tea or coffee, but this might have been just out of interest as no coffee or tea arrived until we requested it from another member of staff at the end of our meal.

To her acute embarrassment, my wife discovered on Saturday afternoon that a charge of £260 had been made by the hotel on her credit card. This seemed well above the usual 'Sundries' charge, was not mentioned at check-in when the card was swiped and, as we were saying under the Marriott employees 'Stay for Pleasure' scheme seemed excessive to say the least. No clear explanation was offered by the hotel as to why this charge was made, as none of the usual tariffs added up to this amount.

The small children running about, unsupervised around the Atrium and corridors might give the impression of a 'child friendly' hotel, but this was sadly not our experience when my two fourteen year-old sons, accompanied by ourselves were denied entry to the leisure pool as it was 'after 9pm'. We were cheerfully informed that we 'should have been told by reception'. Having stayed at any number of similar hotels in this chain, we have never encountered this 'rule' before. A disappointing result for two boys looking forward to a dip in the pool.

The following morning, breakfast was again without the accompanying tea and coffee, only this time we did not receive the offered orange juice either!

I should like to point out that I have never before felt it necessary to write at length about the shortcomings of a hotel of this quality, but I do so simply out of exasperation.

Otherwise, this hotel is comfortable and reasonably clean (but brand standard?). The lobby and Atrium are attractive, but let down by hypersensitive automatic doors, which make it extremely draughty, particularly on a windy Halloween night.

Try the Marriott in Leeds or Hanbury Manor for a completely different experience.

• Disliked — Unattentive, condescending and pompous staff.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thank you for your recent review, these comments have proved to be exceptionally disappointing to not only myself but the whole Leicester Team. Due to the severity of these comments I have instigated an internal review. Trip Advisor is a fantastic source of information and with this in mind, I would urge all prospective guests to read all of the Leicester Marriott reviews to gain a balanced opinion of our service and facilities. Negative feedback is a powerful tool for managers as it enables us to clearly identify where improvements may be needed. My team aim to provide an environment where any guest who feels dissatisfaction with any aspect of their stay can raise it immediately with the hotel to ensure that it can be rectified as a matter of urgency and enable the guest to have a comfortable stay.

Been to Leicester Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!